Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 5.9 late last week- had 5.8.8 before. I just noticed something different, but suspect it was in earlier versions and I just missed it. On the media screen, I now have a favorites button to the right of the equalizer button that gives you access to the settings. I pressed the button and it opened a list of my available audio options.

New, or something I just missed in an earlier update?

I know this was in 5.8. I'm not sure when it was added.

I have 5.9 (1.51.94) and am finding it won't remember my charging amp settings at home. It defaults back to 80 amps each time I return, but I need to charge at 16 amps and must remember to set it back manually. I think I read of others with this problem, but don't recall if there was a resolution.

Further to this, I contacted Ownership mainly to see if it was a known bug. They referred the matter to my local Service Center where it happens I will be next week having the underbody armor installed. I guess I'll see what they say, but since I was referred to Service, I assume it must just be me (or at least not everyone).

Actually, I think it does remember your last charge level since it is tied in with your charging location remembered by the car.

This morning I pulled into work. I have the charge level set to 24 amps. When I opened the charge screen the charge level was set to 40 amps. Then when I plugged in, I went back into the car to reset it to 24 amps and it was already there.

Further to this, I contacted Ownership mainly to see if it was a known bug. They referred the matter to my local Service Center where it happens I will be next week having the underbody armor installed. I guess I'll see what they say, but since I was referred to Service, I assume it must just be me (or at least not everyone).

Actually, I think it does remember your last charge level since it is tied in with your charging location remembered by the car.

This morning I pulled into work. I have the charge level set to 24 amps. When I opened the charge screen the charge level was set to 40 amps. Then when I plugged in, I went back into the car to reset it to 24 amps and it was already there.

Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight at home. I have been tapping the amps down each night before plugging in.

I was used to how releases prior to 5.9 handled it, that is to say the charge amps would be at the reduced number next to the scheduled start time (which IS saved in 5.9) as soon as you pressed the battery icon at your destination. Mine keeps coming up at 80 amps (dual chargers) and I only have 16 amps available at home.

Text in the navigation floating window in the map seems grayed out all the time? It is the window where you set nav volume.

I think Tesla played with the opacity of the white background inside that box -- its now less opaque. I don't remember being able to see the map behind it before, and now I can. That same impact may be also making the text have less contrast against the background, so could appear grayed-out...

Two points... Hill hold: I had the same behaviour today where on a slight incline the HH didn't kick-in. I dabbed the brakes again and still not. I firmly pressed TGD brake pedal and it held when released. So perhaps one needs to press hard once, not twice, to activate when not on an obvious incline?

Parking sensors activating brakes: I was parking the MS in the underground car-park at work and while shuffling it about (still not used to the shape of the car) it applies the brakes while moving forward into the "stop" zone. This was only when going at a reasonable velocity, at creep pace it didn't do anything. Needs further investigation too,,,

Two points... Hill hold: I had the same behaviour today where on a slight incline the HH didn't kick-in. I dabbed the brakes again and still not. I firmly pressed TGD brake pedal and it held when released. So perhaps one needs to press hard once, not twice, to activate when not on an obvious incline?

Parking sensors activating brakes: I was parking the MS in the underground car-park at work and while shuffling it about (still not used to the shape of the car) it applies the brakes while moving forward into the "stop" zone. This was only when going at a reasonable velocity, at creep pace it didn't do anything. Needs further investigation too,,,

I have some foam board in the basement, perhaps I'll set some up and drive at it 5 mph to see what happens.

Confirmed. Even though the display showed 80 amps when I plugged in, it did level off at the 16 amps that I had set there previously. I don't like this new behavior and preferred it when the car not only "remembered" but showed you that it remembered on the screen.

I asked ownership about the Hill Assist and was passed on to technical support who told me that "we haven’t had a chance to use it here in technical support but I do have the Vancouver service center working on it to see if it’s an actual problem with you hill assist or if it’s working correctly". The result of the research was "that is normal operation for the hill assist feature, it doesn’t activate on mild slopes/hills". This doesn't sound like an official position so much as an observation based on somebody trying out a car in the service center. I guess I'll leave it for now though I have pushed back subtly to technical support pointing out that different cars seem to have variable results.

I asked ownership about the Hill Assist and was passed on to technical support who told me that "we haven’t had a chance to use it here in technical support but I do have the Vancouver service center working on it to see if it’s an actual problem with you hill assist or if it’s working correctly". The result of the research was "that is normal operation for the hill assist feature, it doesn’t activate on mild slopes/hills". This doesn't sound like an official position so much as an observation based on somebody trying out a car in the service center. I guess I'll leave it for now though I have pushed back subtly to technical support pointing out that different cars seem to have variable results.

So far I've found it to be very intuitive and working fine........ I have no issues with this.

Today I tried it for the first time. The first time I braked it didn't take. But the car rolled back a few inches, then it worked. Maybe the slope was just a hair more when the car rolled back slightly.

I don't think so, this is the behavior I'm seeing. I've experimented on a small parking lot ramp. It never held unless I braked again after releasing it. I realize that I'm probably beating this to death but it seems to me that results vary quite a bit between drivers which could be car differences, driver differences or geography; however, in general we are each hypothesizing about how it works and when it works and some guidance from Tesla might be helpful. So far the "official position" I've been given is that it won't work on moderate hills so any long presses or double presses etc. are apparently not supported behaviors. That being said, if technical support had to ask the service center to give it a try, that doesn't really suggest that there is any official position on how it should work.

Yes, it does lower on exit and I hadn't noticed this before 5.9. (Firmware Version: 1.51.9). There is an archived thread in which folks complained about lowering after parking over a curb and getting caught on it when backing out, because it did not raise itself to where it was on entry. I stay off those bumpers and sidewalks so haven't had this experience.

As I recall, the Citröen DS used to relax to low when parked, perhaps to release pressure in the pneumatic system? But it would raise itself to a normal setting when started up.

Perhaps Tesla first disabled lowering when off to avoid the curb problem, then reactivated it with automatic raising in 5.9? I should read the release notes!

Just got 5.9. Car definitely lowers after shutdown/exit. I'm set at standard with auto lowering set for 55mph.

90% charge (P85,Pack A, 10k miles) now gives 232 rated miles. Up from 224.

I haven't driven enough to confirm this but it seems as though I'm achieving rated range at a significantly higher Wh/mi. Is this possible? Could they have changed what they consider "rated Wh/mi?" The line on the energy graph still falls at the same place.

Today I tried it for the first time. The first time I braked it didn't take. But the car rolled back a few inches, then it worked. Maybe the slope was just a hair more when the car rolled back slightly.

Another poster suggested that a slightly more aggressive stop might be enough to trigger the accelerometer such that hill-assist then kicks in?

Are folks who are getting the the function to engage on the second try stabbing the brakes harder after beginning to roll back slightly... and thus the issue is not the actual pressure on the brake pedal itself, but rather pulling slightly more G's when stopping the car?

I shall have to experiment...