Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems with 5.9 the "hold the middle button down" on the key fob to lower all the windows was removed. Another feature "stolen" from us with nothing in the release notes about it.

There were some reports of someone, with the keyfob in tight jeanspockets, accidentally opening all the windows and next morning found the Model S full of snow. That's why this change was very welcome in Norway.

There were some reports of someone, with the keyfob in tight jeanspockets, accidentally opening all the windows and next morning found the Model S full of snow. That's why this change was very welcome in Norway.

There may be very good precautionary reasons for feature removal, be it permanent or temporary, but Tesla needs to figure out how to communicate these things. Maybe just an oversight? I suspect it's a lawyer issue. If so, those attorneys need to dig deeper and help find a way to communicate that doesn't invite liability.

OTOH, when my door handles have failed to extend (early manufacturing problem), being able to lower the windows, reach in, and use the inside lever to open the door was invaluable...

I would claim that the jeans needed an update and not the MS software. :wink:

Update: I went out to the garage and checked. The "hold the top button on the FOB down" to lower the windows is gone. I will report that as a bug; it was not in the release notes and is a feature removed!

Last edited:
Concerning the key fob rolling down the windows, below is the reply that I got from an e-mail to Tesla. If other feel this feature should return, please send e-mail to [email protected]. I asked J to submit a "feature request" to restore this deleted feature; kind of Catch-22.

This is Jxxx Mxxx from the Technical Support team in Fremont, CA. Thank you for contacting Tesla with your concern regarding the key fob rolling down windows feature. This feature went away with 5.9 Firmware, but I can submit a feature request on your behalf requesting to bring this feature back.

If there is anything additional we can help you with please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-877-79-TESLA or email us at [email protected].

Concerning the key fob rolling down the windows, below is the reply that I got from an e-mail to Tesla. If other feel this feature should return, please send e-mail to [email protected]. I asked J to submit a "feature request" to restore this deleted feature; kind of Catch-22.
Yes. Seems gone for good. If the concern was people activating it accidentally, I wish they would have changed the button sequence rather than simply removing the feature. My last vehicle used three quick button presses, and then you hold the button down on the third until the windows lower. That seems far less likely to trigger than simply holding it.

I really dislike that feature. Yeah, I can see how it might be nice on a hot day to pre-vent the car before you get into it but I've never used it for that and have lowered all the windows accidentally numerous times. Once when it was raining heavily. Not a happy situation. And, no, I'm not Norwegian but did say "uf da" when I soaked my interior.

I didn't think people would want it with precooling the car and venting the pano roof (if installed) as options.
If they could add that as an option and throw in opening the charge port door as the other option for holding top button down I'd love that.

Last edited:
Are there any cars on the market that have an option to turn hill hold on or off? I know it was never an option in our Bimmers or VW, it was always just there.

weighing in to say i think the new hill-hold is great, works very well for me, solves roll back on steeper hills and having to switch pedals very quickly on start. i feel it's a very good implementation, and much much appreciated.

for those posting with issues because you are used to driving two pedals with two feet, i have to say having learned on manual cars and not doing much racing (..on the track. i am a fast - but safe - driver), i'm a right-footer. i recently read this on jalopnik, found it interesting,

Why You Should Brake With Your Left Foot

but tend to agree with the comments (not making any pointed accusations toward people here at all, only from experience on the road) from hydrogenonion,

In day to day driving, I brake with my right foot.

If you drive in such a way that you need that slightly faster reaction time, it PROBABLY means you habitually tailgate people and/or are an aggressive driver.

Stop tailgating people. It's rude. And take a chill pill.

And it seems to me that left foot brakers tend be habitual tailgaters.

And the worst left foot brakers are the ones that rest their left foot on the brakes... which means that their brake lights are always on. And that means the people behind can't tell when they're truly hitting the brakes to stop or not.

And they're probably causing excess wear and wasting fuel at the same time.

Left foot braking does have a place... on the track.

But I don't see it having a place in day to day driving.

i agree that normally a feature that some users would rather not have should be software-switch optioned -- in this case, however, i think hill-hold is too critical a drive feature to have user-selectable. being very used to hill-hold and then getting in a car (or having it unknowingly turned off in your car) without it could cause potentially very serious situations. not a good idea to make this selectable in my view.

While I don't currently have any issues with hill-assist personally, I whole-hardheartedly support this sentiment:

Features should, to any reasonable extent possible, be able to be selectively enabled/disabled/adjusted. Especially those added/changed in subsequent firmware releases.
And there's the rub. Some would argue that no setting for hill hold is reasonable, from an uncluttered UI prioritization perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

This is easily avoided with an "advanced settings" screen.
Disagree. "Easy" is the first word the non-dev types use when they don't want to bother justifying their features. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see it back (along with control for it in the app), but I guess I'd first want to know WHY it was removed. If there was a good reason for it, it might sway my opinion on it.
I disagree.

If something is removed, I want it documented before having the 80 page email thread discussing the why and whether the why is reasonable or appropriate and who's dumb for thinking differently from me and ...

If you change a documented feature, you document the change ideally before but at least in tandem with the change.

If something is removed, I want it documented before having the 80 page email thread discussing the why and whether the why is reasonable or appropriate and who's dumb for thinking differently from me and ...

If you change a documented feature, you document the change ideally before but at least in tandem with the change.
Amen, brother.
If there is one thing that really ticks me off about Tesla it's their utter and total incompetence communicating.
This is not an issue of software engineering or advanced preferences or anything of that sort.
It's failure to communicate.
A and B packs. Auto lowering removed. Availability of accessories. Availability of pricing (talk to the Australians). No more remote lowering of the windows.

This company builds marvelous cars, has an incredible vision for the future, provides outstanding service. But their ability to communicate sucks major rocks.

I didn't think people would want it with precooling the car and venting the pano roof (if installed) as options.
If they could add that as an option and throw in opening the charge port door as the other option for holding top button down I'd love that.

Agree with this. Not being able to open the chargeport door from the outside (no, I wouldn't want to hit the base of the door with my fist) can be a pain sometimes when at J1772 charging stations.

On a related note, over the weekend, supercharged for the first time after getting 5.9. For some reason, on two out of three occasions after I was done, the chargeport door had a mind of its own and decided to pop open again as I started driving off. It was rather silly driving around the congested Folsom lot with an open chargeport till I could find some room to pull over and close it. Has never happened to me before.