Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0 (beta version discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree.I got rid of my iPhone, and I don't intend to go back.

When I saw your post I smiled. I switched from iPhone to an Android Samsung Galaxy Note 3 about a year or so ago, largely because of the screen size.

Not to get too far off topic, but I despise the Samumg phone more than I can say. It does more things by itself when it's in my pocket, without my approval, than I can tolerate, like erasing app folders, never to be found again.

I'll be switching back to Apple when the new iPhones are released this fall. It at least asks for my permission when it want to do things:).

When I saw your post I smiled. I switched from iPhone to an Android Samsung Galaxy Note 3 about a year or so ago, largely because of the screen size.

Not to get too far off topic, but I despise the Samumg phone more than I can say. It does more things by itself when it's in my pocket, without my approval, than I can tolerate, like erasing app folders, never to be found again.

I'll be switching back to Apple when the new iPhones are released this fall. It at least asks for my permission when it want to do things:).

I prefer the open nature of the platform. I just hope that the iOS and android development for Tesla is happening in tandem.

Obviously getting off topic here, but almost everyone I know that went to an Android from iPhone wants to come back when the new iPhones come out. Most people simply do not want to "tinker" with their phone that much, and the Android operating system leaves them frustrated. That said, if you like being able to customize and tweak, the Android system can be a lot of fun. Nevertheless, I've stuck with iPhone because it makes my life easier!

I'm very pleased to see functionality offered. However, when Tesla brings up features that never get released, well that's not very responsible IMO. Case in point, valet mode. Elon mentioned that valet mode had already been coded and just wasn't exposed to the user but would be released soon. That was over a year ago. Maybe it will be in 6.0, who knows? But it kinda sucks for the people that were anticipating it sooner based on expectations set by Tesla. I don't particularly care for valet mode, but I could just as easily write about something else if you aren't convinced.
I'm with you on this one.

Obviously getting off topic here, but almost everyone I know that went to an Android from iPhone wants to come back when the new iPhones come out. Most people simply do not want to "tinker" with their phone that much, and the Android operating system leaves them frustrated. That said, if you like being able to customize and tweak, the Android system can be a lot of fun. Nevertheless, I've stuck with iPhone because it makes my life easier!

The problem isn't so much Android as it is the garbage that Samsung and the like put on them to customize and try and differentiate themselves. That's why I got a Nexus phone, none of those issues.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm very pleased to see functionality offered. However, when Tesla brings up features that never get released, well that's not very responsible IMO. Case in point, valet mode. Elon mentioned that valet mode had already been coded and just wasn't exposed to the user but would be released soon. That was over a year ago. Maybe it will be in 6.0, who knows? But it kinda sucks for the people that were anticipating it sooner based on expectations set by Tesla. I don't particularly care for valet mode, but I could just as easily write about something else if you aren't convinced.

I wonder if the engineers cringe whenever Elon goes on TV just knowing he is going to announce something that doesn't exist yet and promise an unrealistic release date.

I know they sensor rude and inappropriate stuff to keep the forum "family friendly", but I don't think they'd censor anything else like this. Isn't that kind of the advantage of these forums to discuss at will things like this freely?

I would certainly hope so, but nonetheless there was that implication.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a bit of a gray area. Commentary about Tesla -- the company, the cars, the stock -- should indeed flow freely here, within the bounds of general human decency; and it does. But keeping up a post containing information that could only be obtained by violating an NDA puts the TMC forum in the position of aiding and abetting an unethical act. And unlike, say, the Snowden situation -- in which a criminal act could nevertheless be justified as necessary for the public good -- there is no real justification here other than our own curiosity. That said, this being the Internet, once something like this gets out, there's no taking it back. Deleting the offending post here would not delete the information from the world, it would just be a symbolic act of solidarity with Tesla -- though perhaps at the risk of irritating some TMC members. I'm glad I didn't have to make the mod call on this one.

I'm not sure if you're saying that there was a criminal act here, but of course there wasn't. Knowledge of some NDA is also supposition and a moderator could not have any direct knowledge that the person who posted the pictures was under some NDA. In addition, the OP said he was a passenger in the car and not the "beta tester". It would only be a show of "solidarity" (as you put it), or what I think would better be called "pandering". This is why bonnie's post was disappointing to me.

The problem isn't so much Android as it is the garbage that Samsung and the like put on them to customize and try and differentiate themselves. That's why I got a Nexus phone, none of those issues.
We've been here before:
many people over the last two decades said:
The problem isn't so much Windows as it is the garbage that <pick any OEM> and the like put on them to customize and try and differentiate themselves.

Last edited:
Geez, gotta laugh, it appears the lurking anticipation of firmware goodies simmers right below the surface for us frequent TMCers, and when a shiny object is dangled in front of us, we start fighting like kittens in a box. This group would make a good sociology study.

I wonder if the engineers cringe whenever Elon goes on TV just knowing he is going to announce something that doesn't exist yet and promise an unrealistic release date.

I'm sure this is the case. It happens in any technology company when any product marketing function gets ahead of engineering in public circles.

Except in this case, most of the software things that have been mentioned were talked about a very long time ago and some of it was even seen to be in the code even if not presented to our control.

Check out this video published in May 2013:

They have the top speed limiter in the first menu (which I think is just the limiter to 80MPH that test and show cars get), they have the apps stuff shown which includes the "scheduler" and a "sketch pad", on the data screen with "car configuration" you see "Blind Spot Detection", "Lane Departure Warning", and "Adaptive Cruise", and finally you have the great diag screen showing the inner details of the current status of the car.

Moving beyond that, go watch the series of videos between the delivery event here (Jul 31 2012):

to the Beta Reveal event here (Oct 2011 - This is the first video of the series click through to see it all):

In the Beta Reveal He mentions the "naming your car", "3rd party app development" (and just other apps in general), "car learning patterns", and "valet mode" like knowing know schedule to auto warm/cool the car and such, and I think some other things I can't recall off hand and don't want to sit through 2 hours of videos right this moment to find the specific sections...

So you are talking about things that have been out there stated by Elon as early as 2011! I mean, even IF some of this stuff was brand new and surprising to the engineers, they have had 3 years now to get them implemented... Just give us what you have already told us is coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if you're saying that there was a criminal act here, but of course there wasn't. Knowledge of some NDA is also supposition and a moderator could not have any direct knowledge that the person who posted the pictures was under some NDA. In addition, the OP said he was a passenger in the car and not the "beta tester". It would only be a show of "solidarity" (as you put it), or what I think would better be called "pandering". This is why bonnie's post was disappointing to me.

The point Bonnie was making was that moderators didn't even have time to consider whether the original post was acceptable; that doesn't mean we would have taken it down. So long as folks follow TMC forum rules I can't think of a situation where we wouldn't let things stand. Now if Tesla asserted a copyright claim, that's one for the site owners to decide on.

+1. It's critical to deliver on specific items that have been suggested (I won't say promised). However, it's been pointed out that the software development team for the user interface is very small (I think that was in a video with one of the Tesla execs). Thus, I imagine that they struggle to get new features out because the resources are limited. Add Model X development in, and it's a wonder they get anything done.

However, one of the big selling points, touted often by Tesla, is that the car improves with age do to software development. Thus, Tesla needs to step it up a little, even if that means bringing in more software developers.

We've been here before:

Next time when you are trying to make a point don't make it look like I said something I didn't by modifying a quote. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure this is the case. It happens in any technology company when any product marketing function gets ahead of engineering in public circles.

Of this I am so very familiar. Nothing better than finding out sales has sold something that doesn't exist and has promised an install in three months.

You're making a lot of assumptions here about what I posted and inferring things I never intended. Someone reading your post would assume the worst. Not appreciated and I'm disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

This implies that if it hadn't been too late, you (moderators) would have done something. I find this disturbing. I frequent this forum because it isn't run by Tesla. Just my opinion, FWIW. This wouldn't be the only censored forum I frequent, but I like to know when I'm on one.

What we would have done is discuss it, but there wasn't much point. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt and going straight to 'censor'.

I am not one of the veterans of TMC, but still, I have fallen deeply in love with it - because of the amount of information/knowledge it carries; because of the very helpful nature of it's members.

Lately though, I am starting to notice more and more that every time someone posts a criticism of Tesla, they also add a few lines trying to ensure that the reader gets it that the author is otherwise a fan of Tesla. Of course, often it is only natural to say it, when you are indeed a big fan. But it concerns me a little that sometimes, the author feels the need to put it there for another reason.

Not sure if this has always been that way, or if it is becoming more common now.

I am not one of the veterans of TMC, but still, I have fallen deeply in love with it - because of the amount of information/knowledge it carries; because of the very helpful nature of it's members.

Lately though, I am starting to notice more and more that every time someone posts a criticism of Tesla, they also add a few lines trying to ensure that the reader gets it that the author is otherwise a fan of Tesla. Of course, often it is only natural to say it, when you are indeed a big fan. But it concerns me a little that sometimes, the author feels the need to put it there for another reason.

Not sure if this has always been that way, or if it is becoming more common now.

Was your post meant to be an example of this? :)

Seriously, the site is a fan site. As you yourself demonstrated, when you like something but have a criticism, you usually soften it a bit. And since we have all gotten used to so many from the media taking our posts and using them in articles, we like to make our intent clear.