Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be tempted to do a 100% charge just to see what the top number is! (Of course I would drive the car right after completing the charge).

I did a 90% charge and the range estimate on my car is back to what it was pre-upgrade (just as previous reported by others). I will try to do a 100% charge just to see if the pack cell balancing is any different than before, only because I have some degradation in the range estimate for a 100% charge on my 60Kwh pack. I always drive away after completing a 100% charge because I am paranoid about pampering my battery pack.

Preface my comments by saying IMHO... :). I find the number of blinks randomly alternates between 3 and 4, with it most often being 3. I'm fine with it being 3, though 4 feels slightly better... On lane changes I'm giving information, not asking for permission, and if it's not safe I'll hold it myself to request cooperation before the move. So, I guess I'm just going on record as saying 3 works for me quite well.
Ditto for me. It could be "finger trouble" on my part, but from time to time there are 4 flashes. And sometimes without any sound too no matter how many flashes. I'm still on 5.12, patiently waiting for 6.0 (presumably .15), and I just put this non-deterministic behavior down to one of the many small bugs I've noticed in about 6 weeks of ownership.

I did a 90% charge and the range estimate on my car is back to what it was pre-upgrade (just as previous reported by others). I will try to do a 100% charge just to see if the pack cell balancing is any different than before, only because I have some degradation in the range estimate for a 100% charge on my 60Kwh pack. I always drive away after completing a 100% charge because I am paranoid about pampering my battery pack.

If you are paranoid about pampering your pack, you probably shouldn't be doing 100% charges just because. Driving if immediately after charging to 100% doesn't necessarily mitigate the negative effects over time. That hypothesis is based on forum speculation and has no relationship to official Tesla position. Tesla's official position is that 100% charging will accelerate your pack's degradation over time. Don't do it just to push your range estimate. You are engaging in a self fulfilling prophecy.

According to this guy Professor Jeff Dahn - WIN Seminar Series - YouTube who seems to know what he's talking about, the key factor affecting Li-ion battery lifetime is the total time spent at 100% charge, not the number of times you charge to 100%. And high temperatures when at full charge make it worse. So doing your trip charge just before the trip is better than doing it hours or days before the trip.

And a cool thing from this video - one of this professor's research group members left the group to lead Tesla's battery lifetime team.

Last edited:
Had .13, now have .15 no increase in range.

Nav guidance was horrible yesterday. I was on a street going straight and it was all green, but the nav wanted me to turn off and go on a parallel street for no reason. After 5 blocks of ignoring the route change it finally figured out that going straight on a green traffic street was faster then turning me off to a parallel street.

Had .13, now have .15 no increase in range.

Nav guidance was horrible yesterday. I was on a street going straight and it was all green, but the nav wanted me to turn off and go on a parallel street for no reason. After 5 blocks of ignoring the route change it finally figured out that going straight on a green traffic street was faster then turning me off to a parallel street.

And this is why we are still at least a decade away from the self driving, autonomous car. I don't care what Musk says.

Strange one tonight. 6.0 came yesterday. Tonight when we got home, plugged in the HPWC and all looked OK, but no lock click. Tried several times. Nothing. Then just as I was about to take a closer look, "click"! The ring turned green so we figured it was fine. Just before going to sleep I checked from the updated Android app. Oops! The app said the charge port was open but the charge cable was not plugged in. Went out to investigate and found everything looking fine. Pressed the button on the charge cable and it still looked OK. When I tried to unlock the port from the phone app it wouldn't work. So used the phone app to unlock the car. That worked just fine. Then pressing the button on the charge cable released the lock. Pulled out the cable and put it right back. Immediate click and blue went green. Watched the phone app show that the charge would start at midnight as scheduled. Not sure why, but it seems like it finally worked. Never had issues like this before.

I have this problem with my HPWC and it is not related to 6.0. About 80% of the time the car will no longer recognize the presence of the connector. However, it I press the end of the handle toward the front of the car, or do that and also click the button, then the car sees the connector and starts charging. I reported this to Tesla and they said that most likely the sockets on the car had been enlarged by using another connector (I also charge on J1772 using the adapter). Tesla will be replacing my HPWC under warranty.

I've had a similar problem since my car was updated to 5.12. The car will sometimes not open the charge port or unlock an inserted charge cable without first opening a car door. The handles extend upon approaching the car but pressing the button on the UMC will not open the charge port, or release the charge cable if it is inserted in the charge port unless I open a door on the car. When I do that, I hear the click and the port door opens (if it is closed) or the UMC cable can be removed from the port (if it was plugged into the car). The SC updated the software to 5.14 on 9/10 (day before 6 was released and gave me a new UMC). Now, I get a charge error (3 times in the past 10 days). A review of the log shows the errors but they don't know why and have put in a ticket for further review. They also said I'll get version 6 sent to me to see if that solves the problem.

After installing the 6.0 yesterday am, on my drive home from work, I felt that the some changes were made to the GO pedal mapping. The change is not huge, but clearly noticeable for me. I would describe it as sharper, more precise and refined response. I initially dismissed this as a placebo effect - I was quite excited about being in the first batch of the 6.0 install - but the impression continues to persist today as well.

Another indication that some changes were made is pedal response at very slow speeds. I have driveway that is running up, and a very tight fit in the garage, so I am inching up very gingerly. The usual "rubbery" response under these circumstances is gone. The accelerator response is very precise and allows for a relaxed and precise control.

I am wondering if there could be any discernible difference in 0 to 60 time. I am planning to test it with my Beltronics accelerometer in coming days.
Stay tuned.

I finally got around to testing 0 to 60 mph times after installation of the 6.0. Not sure if the difference is statistically relevant, but time went down slightly. Previously the bunch of runs were within 3.98 to 4.2 sec. The bunch of runs after installing the 6.0 (yesterday and today) were within tighter, 3.9 - 3.95 range. The tire pressure was 39psi front, 41psi rear (+1psi as compared to the recommended pressure for staggered 21" wheels used on P85+), for all runs.

Aside from the times, the mapping of the go pedal does feel slightly different then before the 6.0 - feels tighter, with crisper response, and more precise.

The photo of the fastest run (Beltronics accelerometer):

photo.JPG

If you are paranoid about pampering your pack, you probably shouldn't be doing 100% charges just because. Driving if immediately after charging to 100% doesn't necessarily mitigate the negative effects over time. That hypothesis is based on forum speculation and has no relationship to official Tesla position. Tesla's official position is that 100% charging will accelerate your pack's degradation over time. Don't do it just to push your range estimate. You are engaging in a self fulfilling prophecy.

That's only Tesla's position because it's easier to remember for the lay person.

Just noticed Tesla's Blog posted yesterday about v 6.0. While some have been happy with the latest features, and others underwhelmed, I get the impression Tesla has been monitoring these posts and will strive to integrate more owner requests in the future. Last line of Blog: "We will continuously fine-tune the software and work on new features in response to customer feedback." I see the marketing spin here as well, but choose to interpret it optimistically. :cool:

Just noticed Tesla's Blog posted yesterday about v 6.0. While some have been happy with the latest features, and others underwhelmed, I get the impression Tesla has been monitoring these posts and will strive to integrate more owner requests in the future. Last line of Blog: "We will continuously fine-tune the software and work on new features in response to customer feedback." I see the marketing spin here as well, but choose to interpret it optimistically. :cool:

They should have held the blog until the update was pushed to all cars. Some of us are still waiting. :(

If you have to fold going in, I'm guessing you'd have to fold going out too. Be nice if they didn't unfold immediately or there was a way similar to the geofencing of the air suspension to have the mirrors fold and unfold.

I don't need folding mirrors in either case (obviously, I suppose); however, backing out is much easier than going in.

Why? Well, when I back out the mirrors allow me to very easily see the edges of the garage relative to the sides of my car. Also, I'm already lined up appropriately having parked in the garage. By contrast when I come in, I'm eyeballing and have only the edge of the mirrors themselves in front of me to check whether I'm centered, and sometimes I am coming in at a slight angle because of where my garage door is located relative to my driveway, particularly a problem when I have a guest in my driveway for some reason (clearly the answer here is to simply never have guests).

Why? Should Apple have held off announcing the iOS8 features until all iPhone users had it? Lots of Tesla owners don't frequent the forums but still might want to know what they're getting.

The difference is I can pull the update to my phone, I can't pull it to my car. I have to wait to win the lottery to update my car. It's a little frustrating knowing that the software is out there but there is nothing I can do to get the software on my car. Driving 180 miles to the closest service center and back for it is not practical.

The difference is I can pull the update to my phone, I can't pull it to my car. I have to wait to win the lottery to update my car. It's a little frustrating knowing that the software is out there but there is nothing I can do to get the software on my car. Driving 180 miles to the closest service center and back for it is not practical.
I'm as passionate about Tesla as anyone, but as long as I can drive the car safely there's no update worth stressing about whether I have it now or next week. Sometimes we all take this too seriously. Chill.

Just a prediction, but if Tesla were to adopt a more regular release cycle I bet we would have less firmware anxiety. Maybe new firmware on the order of every 3-4 months would be nice. They could make the updates smaller and just rollout a couple features with each new release. I think a lot of people get antsy when they've been on unstable firmware for months and a new update is available and they just can't get their hands on it. The technology age has trained us to be able to seek updates for all our devices. For an iPhone, tablet, desktop, entertainment gadget, etc. I can download the upgrade as soon as it's released. The MS doesn't work like that.