Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see many posts manifesting those symptoms. I've been on V6 for three days now. I detect no changes in acceleration, regen braking, range, or anything else beyond what is listed in the "official" software change list.

The fact that you detect no changes does not prove that they did not happen any more that the fact that other people think they feel changes proves that they happen. :smile:

The difference, of course, is that people reporting changes say "may be", but your are so sure... It is so easy to ride imaginary high horse with the sarcastic smile...

Last edited:
I got 6.0 this morning. At first, I thought regen braking changes some of you reported are just in your mind but not real. My apologies, I was wrong, the regen is not as hard as before, and the amount of energy you get back at some point is more than before. That's why the regen doesn't have to be as hard to come up with 60kw back to the pack.
I wish that they kept it the same and we got 70kw instead :).

Overall, the experience is different but better. The screen is more responsive now and the speedo is more elegant and futuristic.

3) Euphoria. Symptoms: sitting in car to watch 45 minutes of nothing much

I'm not the only dorkus maximus who did this? Cool. It was my first ever update, so had to watch. Indeed, nothing much happens, but the car does wig out a bit. The displays come on and off, the steering wheel buttons light up and turn off, fans spin up and spin down, and various solenoids go ka-chunk. To what end, I have no idea.

If anyone knows, I'd be curious -- are these just side effects, or is there some sort of testing or calibration taking place?

In the medium term (8+ years), I hope Tesla makes a compelling (>= 85 kWh and "low-priced") battery replacement available to us despite the demands of new 2020 vehicle production for S, X, 3, and beyond.

I'm gonna +1 this suggestion as well. My hope is that this will come in the form of battery swap stations so as to eliminate the load on service centers. I think the way to make it low cost is to give a generous and fair credit for the pack that is being replaced. Tesla/Solar City together could sure use a sizable amount of grid storage.

I got 6.0 this morning. At first, I thought regen braking changes some of you reported are just in your mind but not real. My apologies, I was wrong, the regen is not as hard as before, and the amount of energy you get back at some point is more than before. That's why the regen doesn't have to be as hard to come up with 60kw back to the pack.
I wish that they kept it the same and we got 70kw instead :).

Overall, the experience is different but better. The screen is more responsive now and the speedo is more elegant and futuristic.

Love the new Regen......Hate the new speedo! Calendar feature is great too!

Not sure why but it seems like a very large batch of people finally got 6.0. It seems more than has been the case since it first started. I was at an event with some other Tesla owners today and three of us got 6.0 overnight. We were all charging while parked for the National Drive Electric Week. Good thing that our cars initialized normally we were all parked on a "mall" that is normally off limits to traffic. Would have made bad news clips to see Teslas being towed away from the event. So far not noticing anything noticeably different. I wonder how many of the people like myself who received a new version of 5.12 just before 6.0 started rolling, finally got the software today.

Not sure why but it seems like a very large batch of people finally got 6.0. It seems more than has been the case since it first started. I was at an event with some other Tesla owners today and three of us got 6.0 overnight. We were all charging while parked for the National Drive Electric Week. Good thing that our cars initialized normally we were all parked on a "mall" that is normally off limits to traffic. Would have made bad news clips to see Teslas being towed away from the event. So far not noticing anything noticeably different. I wonder how many of the people like myself who received a new version of 5.12 just before 6.0 started rolling, finally got the software today.

I did, came in around 1am

He should have used a tongue-in-cheek smiley. Software update notifications are now part of the iOS app (after 6.0 is installed on the car).

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I'm thinking of when it's plugged in. I come at the car from the back, have to pass the charger plug to get the car to recognize the fob is nearby and then backtrack to unplug the car.

It's interesting that opening the rear lift gate doesn't unlock the charger plug, but maybe there's an unintended consequence I'm not thinking of.

@jkliu47, @bollar,
I added another fob antenna half way down the side of the car, to improve the fob signal reception. It helped. Now, nearly every time I go up to the charge port, the handles present and I can unlock the UMC. I posted instructions for this mod on teslatap.com in case you are interested in how I did it.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I am able to open the liftgate from the button over the license plate ONLY if I have the fob. So it does know I have the fob when I'm at the back of the car. So why doesn't it allow the charge port to unlock. Every day I do a dance as I go to the car from the back. Walk up to the rear door, wait a second or two until the door handles present, then step back to unplug the charger, coil up the cord and finally go to the front door, open it and get in. Possibly the fob appears to be too far from the car when I'm at the back of it.

I added another fob antenna half way down the side of the car, to improve the fob signal reception. It helped. Now, nearly every time I go up to the charge port, the handles present and I can unlock the UMC. I posted instructions for this mod on teslatap.com in case you are interested in how I did it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes if you unlock, but not if you only open the trunk interstingly enough. What I mean is that unlocking the trunk with the FOB does not seem to better "wake" the rear FOB sensor. I often have to unlock the car with the FOB to unplug, when approaching from behind - regardless of if I have opened the trunl with the FOB.

It also indicated that you see other people reporting the changes you do not detect manifesting symptoms of hallucination. Totally unnecessary remark IMO.
Don't jump on @ecarfan. It was me who introduced the word hallucinating as a point of humor, but only half in jest. It's a real thing that we notice stuff after a release that is not always new or a change. I can point out hundreds of such posts in the various firmware threads. It's a human tendency, so it's ok to post what you perceive, but also ok for others to try to debunk.

Don't jump on @ecarfan. It was me who introduced the word hallucinating as a point of humor, but only half in jest. It's a real thing that we notice stuff after a release that is not always new or a change. I can point out hundreds of such posts in the various firmware threads. It's a human tendency, so it's ok to post what you perceive, but also ok for others to try to debunk.
I am totally cool with debunking, but calling something that one does not perceive a hallucination hardly qualifies as debunking...

I slogged through almost 700 posts and haven't seen this mentioned - 6.0 does not have the map magnification setting anymore?! I prefer the small text because the map looks "cleaner." After updating to 6.0 this morning I can't find the setting.