Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've been noticing ever since 6.0: same roads, same driving as before, nothing new at all, and yet what used to be 320-370Wh/mi average, is now 370-600Wh/mi. And while I had a S85 loaner today running 6.0, I noticed it too, over the same local roads, was running high energy, always over 400Wh/mi. For both cars, Range mode is active.

So.... is 6.0 using more energy to do the same job compared to pre 6.0?

I've had it on for a couple of days now, and energy usage seems the same. Has it gotten colder (as Brianman says)? Did you check your tire pressures?

Can we get some instrumented data on this, from both camps?

I would think smart phone video clips (at 30 frames/second) of the instrument panel should suffice.

Car in cruise at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 MPH on level ground, with a smooth road and decent weather.
With nothing touching the accelerator or brake pedals, Cancel cruise with the stalk by pushing it towards the front of the car. Allow car to decelerate 20 MPH or more from initial speed.

Video evidence starts when the "cruise control" blue indicator turns off.
Measurements include:

• Speed change over x seconds of time (as determined by counting video frames and the speedometer's indicated speed) (This measures acceleration [rate of change of speed])
  • Rate the regen indicator moves (as determined by counting video frames)
  • Time for the regen indicator to move to its maximum value (whatever value that is for a given speed) (This measures regen "attack" rate)
  • Time the regen indicator remains at maximum value before dropping. (Not sure what this measures, but sounds like it's important.)

Once we have videos various measurements can be made. Then we'll have evidence, not just anecdotes.

I tried to record a video segment last night to see if this method is practical. With some finagling of the smart phone on the steering wheel spokes in my right hand with my left to finesse the cruise control stalk, I managed it, but I certainly would not recommend it.

The effect I am experiencing is small. An experiment such as you suggest may gather some evidence, but won't provide an objective comparison to 5.x regen performance on the identical hardware after upgrade to 6.0. In any event, because the effect is small, the experimental method would have to carefully control all relevant variables to be conclusive. The other variables at play which can impact the result include hardware configuration (45, 60, 85, Performance or not, + or not), miles driven on this battery, charge level, wind speed, ambient temperature, driver weight, wheel diameter, tire pressure, etc. I believe the result would end up being inconclusive.

Therefore, I will continue to enjoy my smoother ride, content in the knowledge that Telsa has confirmed that there were no intentional regen changes in 6.0, and leave it at that.

To add data on 6.0 and regen -- my regen is the same but I thought it was different because it's a little cooler here. Regen starts to get noticeably weaker if the battery is in the 60's F (not a typo). In the mornings I had weaker highway regen, looked down and saw it was making out around 50 kW (no yellow line). On return to home (warmer out, car in sun, etc.) I had the full 60 kW of regen.
The yellow line should start showing up if the battery is ~55F (assuming nothing has changed).

I haven't observed (or tried to observe) a difference in the regen "attack" rate.

Heating, cooling and battery warming have all shown up on the instrument cluster for as long as I can remember. The energy usage will fluctuate a bit above zero when sitting still.

I'm not talking about the "realtime" power meter but the average displayed in the trip meters.

Wasn't there talk about A/C and/or heating not being included in these numbers in FW 5.8 or 5.9?

Finding v6 to be really unstable. Nav keeps crashing. Parking sensors locked up yesterday, both displays showing 23in when the car was moving. Reversing camera failed to display. Reboot fixed that & sensors. Centre console rebooted itself this morning when changing from Rdio to DAB. Roll on 6.1...

My car told me to take an alternate route to work yesterday that was supposedly 8min faster than regular. As I pressed navigate, I noticed that the traffic lines were green all throughout my regular route. I canceled Nav and took the regular route, arriving even faster than usual. Why would it think that alternate (longer) route is faster than regular when there was absolutely no traffic?

My car told me to take an alternate route to work yesterday that was supposedly 8min faster than regular. As I pressed navigate, I noticed that the traffic lines were green all throughout my regular route. I canceled Nav and took the regular route, arriving even faster than usual. Why would it think that alternate (longer) route is faster than regular when there was absolutely no traffic?

Interestingly, my car gave me no heads-up yesterday but I got a Google Alert on my iPhone saying that there was severe congestion on my route to home. I'd never seen that Google Alert before. (new work phone... I must have something turned on that I didn't before).

I'd disagree with that.. what's your source / basis for that statement?

Trip meter wh/mi and consumption has always included HVAC and battery heating, which is the reason WH/MI goes up precipitously in cold weather. You can check out detailed info in the lifetime wh/mi thread. No evidence that any firmware release has changed that in any way. I'm expecting the same wave of posts this fall as last: people who took delivery over spring/summer will experience their first cooling weather and start asking a lot of questions.

Are you disagreeing with me because you have some information or because you didn't like the fact that I gave such a definitive "no, never" answer?

It worked out that you've always been taking the longer route, even without traffic. It's just been too polite to say anything before :)

So unfortunately for me, noone ever really seems to take the HOV lane into account, there should be a check box that says "Use HOV" or some such, just like Google provides an "avoid toll" option on their Nav. This is not just an issue with the car but with all forms of navigation. Once you get into the lane it seems to figure it out, at least where I live since the HOV lane is actually totally separated and in the center of the road (where the median usually is). The critical piece when deciding which way I need to go in the morning involves one of two HOV exits one of which takes me about 10 miles out of my way, but is faster since you loop around and come back thus going against the flow of traffic and the other involves getting stuck in the traffic. So depending on how well or poorly the traffic is flowing will determine which route I should take, but it seems like the car never wants to catch on to the alternate route (or really any other navigation for that matter) until I am actually already passing the first exit.

I've been having quite a bit of trouble with Bluetooth since getting 6. Every time I get in the car my phone tried to connect, fails a couple of times and then I get a message "Bluetooth resetting" and then everything works for a while.

Anyone else having that problem?