Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have manual control over the motors being on or off. Any situation where traction control needs to intervene, certainly the car would be using both motors to achieve maximum traction.

Right. So how does the car know that traction has been lost on either of the unpowered wheels? The wheel needs to be powered for traditional TC to kick in.

Right. So how does the car know that traction has been lost on either of the unpowered wheels? The wheel needs to be powered for traditional TC to kick in.

The RPMs of the drive shaft just need to be measured. This doesn't require the that the motor be delivering power. Also, unpowered doesn't mean that the motor is actually off (as in light switch off), it just means that it's not delivering power.

It would know that traction has been lost on the powered wheels and that it needs to utilize the unpowered ones.

So we assume that it cuts power to the driven wheels which have just lost traction, whilst powering up the other wheels. Sounds good in a straight line, but one of the strengths of AWD is the way it helps a car to corner, which is also where TC becomes very useful... but suddenly powering up a pair of wheels when one or both of the other pair loses grip might introduce undesirable handling? Maybe both motors are always powered to some extent in corners, even in the update mentioned by Elon.

So we assume that it cuts power to the driven wheels which have just lost traction, whilst powering up the other wheels. Sounds good in a straight line, but one of the strengths of AWD is the way it helps a car to corner, which is also where TC becomes very useful... but suddenly powering up a pair of wheels when one or both of the other pair loses grip might introduce undesirable handling? Maybe both motors are always powered to some extent in corners, even in the update mentioned by Elon.

Traction control is for straight ahead. Vehicle stability control is for turns. They have different algorithms.

As jerry33 said, what you're talking about is stability control. The car knows the wheel speeds at all four corners as well as the steering input (and thus, where you're trying to go) and can adjust power to any given wheel to get the desired affect. Most new cars have this capability these days, though maybe not quite to the same extent or, thanks to electric drive (digital versus analog in ICE cars), with the same reaction times. As Jerry also said, the motors aren't turned off or on as a light switch would be. They just don't have power sent to them when they aren't needed and are then just free-spinning. It's not like turning on a gas engine where there's a certain procedure it must go through to get it going again. All it has to do is send the power to the motor.

Like flicking a switch..? Sorry, couldn't help it :)

Each motor powers two wheels equally. The diffs are not locking diffs, and no mention has been made about individual wheel braking (in fact, JB said that using the braking system for cool stuff like torque vectoring is something for the future in an informal chat at the Gatwick SC opening recently).

In a cornering scenario, a RWD car will understeer. If power is applied to the front wheels once the back end is loose, i.e. when the "stability control" figures out that it needs to do something, then both front wheels will suddenly get equal power, and the power to both rear wheels will be cut to regain traction.

At speed this could create a full oversteer situation, as the front reacts faster than the driver but not fast enough to stop the driver from steering to save the back end. However, if all wheels are powered in that scenario then the shift of torque from front to back should in theory be less aggressive and more predictable.

I would love to see a P85D on a chicane in both sport and insane mode, and again when this update is released.

how to check whether brake light is on during regen braking

All,
I searched and read the old tips - touching the T icon to bring up the "About" screen, but nothing about lights state displayed. I also tried the charge icon, nothing about lights state either.

So with 6.0.81, how do I tell whether regen brake light is on or now? I want to get a feel for it being new to EV.

thanks!

All,
I searched and read the old tips - touching the T icon to bring up the "About" screen, but nothing about lights state displayed. I also tried the charge icon, nothing about lights state either.

So with 6.0.81, how do I tell whether regen brake light is on or now? I want to get a feel for it being new to EV.

thanks!

Charging screen while you drive! (Battery icon)

Thank you Johan and Ken!
I did not notice the subtle change to the animation:) Will definitely check again next time

Yoyo ...

The picture of the car on your charge screen is animated. Lights on the pic will brighten when real corresponding lights on the car are on. Watch it while driving and braking.

Not too closely though, still need to pay attention to the road!

Has anyone seen the "pack is heating" message in 6.0? Recently I've seen that the pack heater is definitely on (based on yellow regen limits and obvious extra power draw on the graphs), but I've not seen that message in a while.

Has anyone seen the "pack is heating" message in 6.0? Recently I've seen that the pack heater is definitely on (based on yellow regen limits and obvious extra power draw on the graphs), but I've not seen that message in a while.

That message has thankfully been removed as it read like an error message. I believe Elon briefly mentioned it being removed in the last conference call. Perhaps they should add a little battery heating icon just to let you know their is additional power being drawn from the battery for heating.

That message has thankfully been removed as it read like an error message. I believe Elon briefly mentioned it being removed in the last conference call. Perhaps they should add a little battery heating icon just to let you know their is additional power being drawn from the battery for heating.

That is a great idea. It would also be nice to know how many watt-hours it is consuming, although I doubt we'll get that information. Or at least a battery heating level of High/Medium/Low so the driver can more accurately anticipate range differences.

-m

Tesla should provide more feedback to the driver on what's happening to the car. The "Raising Suspension" notice is great on the dashboard when the car is raising the suspension based on geolocation. But there's no similar notice when the car automatically lowers when leaving the area or gaining speed - or for when the car automatically lowers at highway speeds. Since the height of the car is a potential safety issue, there should be an indicator on the dash whenever the car is not at the normal height. And messages should be displayed (at least as an option) whenever the car is doing something automatically.

The battery heating/cooling status would also be useful to know - perhaps as an indicator on the energy graph. Perhaps an option to show what accessories are actually running in the car - which could be heating/cooling the battery, including the heater/air conditioner, seat heaters, ... - to help drivers better manage energy consumption.

Of course, all of this requires software changes, and the list of potential software improvements is already extremely long...

Does anyone know if/how the cabin heating and battery heating is factored into the energy consumption graph? Since it shows projected range, and projected range is much worse now that it is cold, I think it is. And I also notice huge spikes in energy consumption, off the scale actually sometimes, and it's not me driving it hard in those cases. I think the spikes are like a correction if the car is sitting, not moving, heaters on. That has to be accounted for somehow in the projected range.

Does anyone know if/how the cabin heating and battery heating is factored into the energy consumption graph? Since it shows projected range, and projected range is much worse now that it is cold, I think it is. And I also notice huge spikes in energy consumption, off the scale actually sometimes, and it's not me driving it hard in those cases. I think the spikes are like a correction if the car is sitting, not moving, heaters on. That has to be accounted for somehow in the projected range.

I started a thread a while back discussing that HERE.

That is a great idea. It would also be nice to know how many watt-hours it is consuming, although I doubt we'll get that information. Or at least a battery heating level of High/Medium/Low so the driver can more accurately anticipate range differences.

FWIW, beta cars used to have embedded in the energy app a map that showed exactly how much power is going to all the systems in the car. Tesla removed this for production and we haven't seen it since.