Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1, I found this to be my solution for a couple months already. I unplug, roll back the cord and then close the charge port door. Problem solved for me.

+1. I've seen the same behavior from time to time, the charge port door won't latch if its closed immediately after unplugging the cable. I unplug, coil the cable and hang it, then close the charge port door on my way back to the driver's door. This procedure has resolved the problem entirely. All it takes is a couple of seconds delay from unplugging to closing the charge port door to get it to latch securely every time.

I have had issue with port popping open (or not latching if I close it) since I got the car in 2012... Though there may be some situations where behavior has changed with firmware, I'm inclined to believe that this (like SOOO much that is attributed in posts to new FW) is NOT new with 6.x, but has rather been around forever. Those of us on this forum are way tuned in to car's behavior after installing new FW, and dying to ID things that have "changed". Also way subject to power of suggestion from other posters.

To get some perspective, talked to 2 owner friends of mine who do NOT frequent this forum. Lemme paraphrase: "yeah, I think I've gotten a few releases lately, not sure which", and "no, I haven't really tried the new trip/energy display yet, guess I will someday!"

So, I did some homework yesterday and determined: We are a very small % of total owners, and we are breathing our own exhaust!

Number of TMC members with >1000 posts = 167
Number of TMC members with >500 posts = 354
Number of TMC members with >100 posts = 1291

Assuming not all TMC frequent flyers are actually owners, I'm approximating that the % of total owners reflected by >100 post members of this forum ~1%. And, the :scared:loudmouths:scared: about 0.2%. Before you shoot, I'm a few posts from being a loudmouth. And, also before you shoot, I also find this forum EXTREMELY valuable - providing info I cannot get anywhere else (least of all from TM). Just gotta apply filter every time.

I have had issue with port popping open (or not latching if I close it) since I got the car in 2012... Though there may be some situations where behavior has changed with firmware, I'm inclined to believe that this (like SOOO much that is attributed in posts to new FW) is NOT new with 6.x, but has rather been around forever. Those of us on this forum are way tuned in to car's behavior after installing new FW, and dying to ID things that have "changed". Also way subject to power of suggestion from other posters.

To get some perspective, talked to 2 owner friends of mine who do NOT frequent this forum. Lemme paraphrase: "yeah, I think I've gotten a few releases lately, not sure which", and "no, I haven't really tried the new trip/energy display yet, guess I will someday!"

So, I did some homework yesterday and determined: We are a very small % of total owners, and we are breathing our own exhaust!

Number of TMC members with >1000 posts = 167
Number of TMC members with >500 posts = 354
Number of TMC members with >100 posts = 1291

Assuming not all TMC frequent flyers are actually owners, I'm approximating that the % of total owners reflected by >100 post members of this forum ~1%. And, the :scared:loudmouths:scared: about 0.2%. Before you shoot, I'm a few posts from being a loudmouth. And, also before you shoot, I also find this forum EXTREMELY valuable - providing info I cannot get anywhere else (least of all from TM). Just gotta apply filter every time.
Oh man. I so wanted to say I was a "1%er". Dang it.

+1. I've seen the same behavior from time to time, the charge port door won't latch if its closed immediately after unplugging the cable. I unplug, coil the cable and hang it, then close the charge port door on my way back to the driver's door. This procedure has resolved the problem entirely. All it takes is a couple of seconds delay from unplugging to closing the charge port door to get it to latch securely every time.

+1 this happened to me today at the San Juan Capo supercharger and I basically blamed the guy in the spot next to me for opening my charge port door. i hope this change is reverted.

Uh but it would. If your car is unlocked and someone else pushed the button on the SC handle it will pop yours open too...by design...
Right. This caused some hilarity at TMC Connect's '14 visit to Laguna Seca. The Superchargers were in the paddock where we were all parked. We were all closing our charge ports constantly until we simply gave up and just left them all open until we hit the track. At the time the ports opened with the charge cable button whether the car was locked or not. I'm not sure if they ever fixed that. I had to give up using Lola's port opener remote because I'd open the ports of every Model S in my parking garage.

Right. This caused some hilarity at TMC Connect's '14 visit to Laguna Seca. The Superchargers were in the paddock where we were all parked. We were all closing our charge ports constantly until we simply gave up and just left them all open until we hit the track. At the time the ports opened with the charge cable button whether the car was locked or not. I'm not sure if they ever fixed that. I had to give up using Lola's port opener remote because I'd open the ports of every Model S in my parking garage.

Last I checked, the charge port would open when the car was locked, but not consistently. My theory is it had to do with the car's sleep state. But I haven't checked with 6.1.

Probably the wrong venue for this, but in terms of 6.2 it comes up again that all the active safety features are not available for us. Does anyone think there will one day be a retrofit option? I'd love the parking sensors and blind spot monitoring. ACC as well - though less so now. I've changed jobs and no longer drive 120 miles a day, so am not using my cruise control constantly as I did in the past.

Probably the wrong venue for this, but in terms of 6.2 it comes up again that all the active safety features are not available for us. Does anyone think there will one day be a retrofit option? I'd love the parking sensors and blind spot monitoring. ACC as well - though less so now. I've changed jobs and no longer drive 120 miles a day, so am not using my cruise control constantly as I did in the past.

Probably not and if there is it will probably end up cheaper to buy another car.

Based on past experience with Tesla, the answer is no. Actually, I'm sure of this based also on a conversation I had with someone who would definitely know.

If your car was built prior to August 1, 2013, the wiring harness for the parking sensors is already in the car and you can get the parking sensors retrofitted.
The parts from Tesla are about $1200. Tesla will try to get you to buy new, pre-drilled front and rear bumpers. That costs thousands, don't do it! Any good body shop can drill the holes, paint the sensors to match. I got quote from Chicago tesla-authorized body shop: $1200. So total $2400. After it is all put together, you need to get the car re-flashed at the Tesla Service Center to recognize the new hardware. Make sure they agree to do that before you start, or you wasted your money.

In the end, I decided NOT to do it. My last car had them, and I miss them... but I've read a bunch of posts that they are over-sensitive, and I really like the clean look without those sensors. But it is doable!

The rest of what you mentioned - not... although you CAN get aftermarket ACC via mobileeye, and blind spot detection from other vendors... have done the research but forget.