Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'll admit that I vehemently disagree with that. The Leaf has this guess-o-meter that factors in "whatever" in the range it displays. That is the single biggest source of range anxiety there is. The rated range miles have a well defined meaning. If I want random guesses based on the last n miles I'll just bring up the energy app and look at its projected range.

I own a Leaf. I drove it for a year or so, now my wife has driven it for about two years. Our experience tells me the adjustments made to the remaining range, based on recent past, are a very positive thing for Leaf drivers.

In particular, she doesn't know/care about EVs. The changing numbers have saved her more than once. She has been headed home at 70+ (Minimum survival speed on Dallas freeways at mid-day) and noticed that she's not going to make the house. (I encourage her to keep the nav system up with a route to the house and the voice muted). When she notices the range number is less than the nav number, she slows down (either in right lane or on service road or on surface streets). She's never been stranded... or had any anxiety... by the simple method of knowing the nav range to the house and the changing estimated (guess-o-meter) number.

It is quite clear that, if the range number in front of her was NOT sensitive to the recent past, she absolutely would have been stranded.

So... opinions vary. I realize the entire "MyNissanLeaf" forum uses the "Guess-O-Meter" term, and really hates it. I (and my wife) find the adjustments to be VERY high value.

Perhaps Tesla should have a couple of options in this arena.

I agree with you Danal, and wished Tesla added the option to show the Estimated Range (projected) from the graph to replace the Rated Range in the dash. On long trips I am pretty sure everyone do the same. Set the Nav to the destination to get remaining distance and check the projected range on the graph.

OK, maybe I don't understand what is being said. We use the Trip app for a route and leave the arriving percentage display up. The percentage various with recent energy usage. I use this feedback to adjust how I'm driving.

Doesnt this provide the functionality you're talking about?

No because you can have a trip that doesn't work in reverse. For instance, if the last leg of your trip is 150 miles from the Supercharger, you don't have enough range to get back to that Supercharger to get back home. There are also less extreme cases where the trip is possible, but the Tesla's charging guidance won't be long enough for your round trip needs.

Obviously with proper planning this is mitigable, but given how spotty destination charging is in 2015, this seems like something that should be baked into the product.

That makes total sense. I was thinking 2-dimensionally.

I own a Leaf. I drove it for a year or so, now my wife has driven it for about two years. Our experience tells me the adjustments made to the remaining range, based on recent past, are a very positive thing for Leaf drivers.

In particular, she doesn't know/care about EVs. The changing numbers have saved her more than once. She has been headed home at 70+ (Minimum survival speed on Dallas freeways at mid-day) and noticed that she's not going to make the house. (I encourage her to keep the nav system up with a route to the house and the voice muted). When she notices the range number is less than the nav number, she slows down (either in right lane or on service road or on surface streets). She's never been stranded... or had any anxiety... by the simple method of knowing the nav range to the house and the changing estimated (guess-o-meter) number.

It is quite clear that, if the range number in front of her was NOT sensitive to the recent past, she absolutely would have been stranded.

So... opinions vary. I realize the entire "MyNissanLeaf" forum uses the "Guess-O-Meter" term, and really hates it. I (and my wife) find the adjustments to be VERY high value.

Perhaps Tesla should have a couple of options in this arena.

If the solution is using the Nav, then the Tesla is going to tell you a constantly updated projection of how much battery is going to be left at the end of the trip in a much more sophisticated way than the leaf (since it will also take into account that the last 10 miles you may have been driving downhill and the last 5 will be uphill). You also don't have to compare numbers. I definitely don't see why this isn't a far superior system.

Slight change of tack. I was under the impression that the TACC hold time was now 30 seconds so I was annoyed to find that I am getting a 3 second hold only. Was about to raise a bug but decided to RT*M and discovered that hold is 30 seconds while on the highway and 3 seconds otherwise. I'm not sure what the logic is in this approach and how it decides what qualifies as a highway - maybe it is dependent on what speed is set?
Not sure if this is common knowledge, I missed this detail somehow.

Last edited:
Those of you with P85Ds.. How long did 6.2 take to install? My car is currently in a funky state, and I'm trying to figure out if it failed or if it's still going. It's been running for 2 hours 10 min so far...

Edit: apparently it takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes. It's back to normal.

Last edited:
Somewhat tangential to the main topic: My WiFi access point dedicated to the Model S (because of poor connection to our main WiFi upstairs) reports some 1.3M packets transmitted to Model S in the past day and a half, which I presume is the download for the 6.2 update. The transmit packet rate has slowed to nearly zero now. So far no indication of an update in the touchscreen UI. Does anyone who has registered the download in their network remember how long it took for the update to be ready?

Those of you with P85Ds.. How long did 6.2 take to install? My car is currently in a funky state, and I'm trying to figure out if it failed or if it's still going. It's been running for 2 hours 10 min so far...

Unfortunately I can't help you out here, Andrew, as I started it some time around 2:00 AM and then checked to see that it was done by shortly after 7:00 AM.

I do recall people talking about it taking longer than other updates though, so I think you might still be OK. I'd give it at least another hour before really worrying.

Sorry I didn't time it though I think up thread there are timings from others. It was a long one for sure, at least 2 hours. I did find it in weird states. My app seemed to be connecting at one point so I checked it to find the radio playing but otherwise nothing.

Somewhat tangential to the main topic: My WiFi access point dedicated to the Model S (because of poor connection to our main WiFi upstairs) reports some 1.3M packets transmitted to Model S in the past day and a half, which I presume is the download for the 6.2 update. The transmit packet rate has slowed to nearly zero now. So far no indication of an update in the touchscreen UI. Does anyone who has registered the download in their network remember how long it took for the update to be ready?

Could be due to the Slacker infinite streaming bug from 6.1.

Keep in mind that "real" range is highly dependent on the route. So if the car doesn't know the destination, it doesn't know the route, and can't give you the "real" range number.

I think what the map should show is a bubble around the current position of everywhere I can make it to. It won't be a perfect bubble. If the bubble extended into some mountains, for example, that part of the bubble wouldn't be as far out. So it would basically look like a scribbled outline around the position that shows everywhere you can make it with the energy you have. A second inner bubble could indicate everywhere you can make it to and back (round trip).

This seems like it would be more useful than anything currently done for eliminating range anxiety. Destination in the bubble? Yay! Not? boo...

When we were pontificating what the end to range anxiety might be, I mocked up something crudely that could do this based (loosely on the way this is done in the Leaf) at Elon - Page 75

repeated diagram here (as second diagram doesn't show for me):
image.jpg

Idea in in this case would navigation / range overlay has traditional circles AS WELL AS predicted range based on weather, topography, current energy consumption, etc

as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I love the concept currently though it can be so much more, and needs to for anyone Whois doing distance driving without overnight destination (eg driving from Seattle to Canadian border to Seattle in the same day you get to ~7% estimated range), read more: Firmware 6.2 - Page 19

Edit: apparently it takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes. It's back to normal.

just under 2hrs 43 mins.

- - - Updated - - -

Took over 2 hours for sure. I checked at the 2 hour mark and it wasn't done, and again at 2 hrs 45 min and it was done.

Lol - should have checked 2 mins earlier ;-)

i I used the start charging, do the update, not starting charging time again "trick"

- - - Updated - - -

As noted yesterday ( Firmware 6.2 - Page 27 ), my navigation is playing up. I've reset screens, etc, though wanted to ask one of you to try this as I can no longer find a route to my work favourite. Thankfully, this also fails with a search for a point of interest. This definitely used to work pre 6.2 as I often go to work I would have noticed this ;-)

Can someone please attempt to navigate to "union station parking garage Seattle" please?

I've "noted" this already, though would feel better if this wasn't just me seeing this :)

thanks, Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Slight change of tack. I was under the impression that the TACC hold time was now 30 seconds so I was annoyed to find that I am getting a 3 second hold only. Was about to raise a bug but decided to RT*M and discovered that hold is 30 seconds while on the highway and 3 seconds otherwise. I'm not sure what the logic is in this approach and how it decides what qualifies as a highway - maybe it is dependent on what speed is set?
Not sure if this is common knowledge, I missed this detail somehow.

yes, noted a few times. Appears to be limited to freeways for me. I-5, I-90, 405, 520 all hold for > 3 seconds secs (bad traffic up here ;-)), highway 2, 202, etc only hold for 3 secs. Even ramp off 520 tonight only held for 3 secs.

I dont one understand why the hold on side streets either, though I'm hopeful this (as well as blind spot) improves in 7.0 :)