Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried autopilot today on a car I met. Was very very impressed by it. Kind of understood the reason why they have the car UI in the dashboard and the placing of the hands on the steering wheel is not time based which is good. Any questions please ask.

Tried autopilot today on a car I met. Was very very impressed by it. Kind of understood the reason why they have the car UI in the dashboard and the placing of the hands on the steering wheel is not time based which is good. Any questions please ask.

What's the nag? If it's not time based how does it determine you're still awake/alert?

Did it steer around significant bends?

Pls tell us moar!

Sadly noticed the same as well. Got a very tight garage opening here to. That leads to the wife actually refusing to drive the car... Normally that would be a positive, but over time it gets annoying as she always wants to bring our small VW e-up! when there is a risk she might need to drive home without me for some reason.

I just hope this parralell parking at least is better than on my old cars as those took so long that I did it better and much faster on my own:(

My wife just leaves it in the middle of the driveway.

Why do people keep talking about heavy rain? Every car I've ever seen specifically tells you not to use cruise control in heavy rain, why should we expect this cruise control to be any different?

I don't expect to be able to use it in heavy rain. I was merely commenting on what my experience has been. In the fog, however, it might be safer than driving without it. The radar can cut through where optical cannot.

@spentan: I was sitting besides the driver and he was showing it to me and explaining so please take it with a pinch of salt - it may not be 100% correct. I am mentioning my experience here to try to offset all the negative stuff that is coming out. The hand placement on the wheel seemed to come when there were faded lines or if there was some deceleration lane nearby. I would not call it a nag. It was like the flick of a button, you just place your hands and reassure the system that yes you are in control of the situation. It felt good actually as you were cooperating with the driver assistance rather than hoping it would figure out everything. There were no significant bends unfortunately. One thing to mention was that he was driving above the speed limit ( I thought auto pilot limits you to drive at speed limit).

- - - Updated - - -

How was the overall feel of AP, was it smooth? Did it keep you centered well or did the car play ping pong with the left and right sides of the lane? Did you try it during the day or night and was the UI the same dark or night mode we have seen?

It felt very smooth but I really think the guy knew what he was doing and it felt so seamless. It kept the car well centered, maybe once a teeny slight to the left but nothing big really. Tried it during the day and the UI Seemed dark. I can check next time if there is morning and night mode.

( I thought auto pilot limits you to drive at speed limit).
If that were the case, nobody would actually use it. I'm guessing it's just like the speed warning for that, you set what offset from the speed limit you are comfortable with (and you pay the tickets if the police disagree with your choice!)

Glad to hear that it doesn't nag, but just asks for you to pay more attention when it is less certain, that sounds like the ideal way to handle it.

For those curious, I tested TACC in heavy rain recently and it performed really well. Had no issues...but I was extra vigilant. This of course is not a guarantee that you won't run into any issues, and of course the manual states not to use it in such conditions--but anyway I thought it did really well.

Wouldn't it be something if the new hill hold didn't work on our classics with the older brake systems?

Yes that would suck.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone explain why this new hill hold is necessary on level ground?

It seems to be working perfectly fine right now as-is on actual "hills".

And it will continue to work on hills, with the new addition of flat terrain. Why would you not want this feature? When you come to a stop, you now will have the option to keep it stopped without needing to apply constant pressure to the pedal. TACC already works this way in stop-and-go traffic, so if it works there, why not elsewhere?

But if I'm already on level ground, the car won't roll anyway, so why apply the brakes?

Even if you're on level ground you should apply the brakes when you're stopped at an intersection. You don't want to get rear-ended and pushed into anyone else or into oncoming side traffic.

There's also the advantage, in certain situations, to having your brake lights lit.

Last edited:
The new hill hold would work great for me as there are many roads I stop on with a grade that will not engage hill assist currently.[/QUOTE

@cyclone +1. My 85D with will gladly roll forward or backward on the slightest of inclines. I am very thankful for the added feature enhancement. For those that don't want it, don't press the brake pedal that extra little bit and you won't have it. We can all be happy!!!

Even if you're on level ground you should apply the brakes when you're stopped at an intersection. You don't want to get rear-ended and pushed into anyone else or into oncoming side traffic.

I know this is a controversial subject, but I don't believe in holding the brake while stopped at an intersection specifically in case I am rear-ended. It's simple physics. Do I want me and my car to absorb all (or most of) the force of the approaching car? Therefore causing the maximum damage and injury to the occupants? No, I'd rather be the car that transfers that energy to the car in front of me and dissipate the energy to 2 or more cars. And since I have a front and rear dashcam, I can easily prove that I was at a full stop and not responsible for my car rear-ending the car in front of me.

I know this is a controversial subject, but I don't believe in holding the brake while stopped at an intersection specifically in case I am rear-ended. It's simple physics. Do I want me and my car to absorb all (or most of) the force of the approaching car? Therefore causing the maximum damage and injury to the occupants? No, I'd rather be the car that transfers that energy to the car in front of me and dissipate the energy to 2 or more cars. And since I have a front and rear dashcam, I can easily prove that I was at a full stop and not responsible for my car rear-ending the car in front of me.

How about if you are first in line and there's a crosswalk? I'll stay in the habit of holding the brakes.