Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're coming up on 2 months since Elon Musk tweeted autopilot was "almost ready".. This is getting ridiculous
I don't get it, I want autopilot as much as everyone else but:
'almost ready' is not 'ready'
it will come but in Tesla time, we all know that
surely nobody wants it before it is ready?

If it were any other car company then 'ready' would mean buying a whole new car as they wouldn't sell you a car with the hardware but not the software.
Why such impatience?

You're assuming non-AP cars will have the same display.

Pre-AP cars that have received the beta have the same display as those with AP. Granted, this is beta not final. But all the more reason that I really hope Tesla is including (and valuing the feedback of) non-AP cars in the EAP for 7.0

My understanding is that one of the shots from the "mis-delivered" 7.0 beta was a non-AP car...

Yep, this. Didn't see your post, dirk.

A good reason, really? I'm from Chicago, so no stranger at all to black ice. But I don't understand why a car would warn a driver about black ice just because it hits 37F. Sorry, but that would be as annoying as the car repeatedly saying "your door is ajar". Of all times where the temperature hits 37F, black ice conditions are probably only found in 0.05% of those. Talk about crying wolf...

Talk to the Germans then who know about driving in the snow and building millions of more cars than Tesla could ever dream of building.

All this discussion and back-and-forth about what should be or shouldn't be on the main IC is pointless. EVERYONE has different wants/needs/desires. I want *everything* that's there now to stay there -- yup ,including time, temp, and date. I don't need to justify to anyone here why I want that just like nobody has to justify to me why they want an entirely blank IC except for their speed and a crappy clock.

My point (along with many others here) is that my car that I paid quite of bit of money for, has a near perfect IC display. I actually rely on every bit of information presented to me. Don't argue with me that I don't actually need it.. if I say I need it, I DO. You many not. It's called opinions.

But for Tesla to think they can remove more than half of that information and dictate to me what I do or don't want is absurdity. They can't just willy-nilly decide to swap out my entire dashboard just because they got a bunch of "flat design" cooties up their pants. As I said before, I really don't care about the "flat design" as long as the information CONTENT doesn't change. But that's not what they're doing. I know we haven't seen the final version, but the fact that they're preparing the release notes with these new "Apps" (which aren't "apps" at all) tells me that they're going to do whatever the heck they want to do, and screw over hundreds or thousands of loyal, early adopter customers.

I think there is way too much information presented in that display.

They should remove the ticks on the right, and all but one number on the left,since no other outside temperature is relevant while driving.

Something like this:
View attachment 95169

No no no. You've got the wrong motif. In order to match the round analogue clock and take up as much dash space as possible, the new thermostat will look like this:

51H38YABAAL._SY300_.jpg

But with less depth and realism of course, cause skeuomorphism is bad.

All this discussion and back-and-forth about what should be or shouldn't be on the main IC is pointless. EVERYONE has different wants/needs/desires. I want *everything* that's there now to stay there -- yup ,including time, temp, and date. I don't need to justify to anyone here why I want that just like nobody has to justify to me why they want an entirely blank IC except for their speed and a crappy clock.

My point (along with many others here) is that my car that I paid quite of bit of money for, has a near perfect IC display. I actually rely on every bit of information presented to me. Don't argue with me that I don't actually need it.. if I say I need it, I DO. You many not. It's called opinions.

But for Tesla to think they can remove more than half of that information and dictate to me what I do or don't want is absurdity. They can't just willy-nilly decide to swap out my entire dashboard just because they got a bunch of "flat design" cooties up their pants. As I said before, I really don't care about the "flat design" as long as the information CONTENT doesn't change. But that's not what they're doing. I know we haven't seen the final version, but the fact that they're preparing the release notes with these new "Apps" (which aren't "apps" at all) tells me that they're going to do whatever the heck they want to do, and screw over hundreds or thousands of loyal, early adopter customers.
THIS. Completely, absolutely this.
A car is not an iPhone. I bought the car after test driving it. Part of what I bought was the user experience. It met my needs. Don't go and radically change this. Don't take things away that I consider necessary.

+1
THIS. Completely, absolutely this.
A car is not an iPhone. I bought the car after test driving it. Part of what I bought was the user experience. It met my needs. Don't go and radically change this. Don't take things away that I consider necessary.

and

+1
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by HankLloydRight viewpost-right.pngAll this discussion and back-and-forth about what should be or shouldn't be on the main IC is pointless. EVERYONE has different wants/needs/desires. I want *everything* that's there now to stay there -- yup ,including time, temp, and date. I don't need to justify to anyone here why I want that just like nobody has to justify to me why they want an entirely blank IC except for their speed and a crappy clock.

om/showthread.php?p=1162249#post1162249"]... EVERYONE has different wants/needs/desires. I want *everything* that's there now to stay there -- yup ,including time, temp, and date. I don't need to justify to anyone here why I want that just like nobody has to justify to me why they want an entirely blank IC except for their speed and a crappy clock.

But for Tesla to think they can remove more than half of that information and dictate to me what I do or don't want is absurdity. They can't just willy-nilly decide to swap out my entire dashboard just because they got a bunch of "flat design" cooties up their pants. As I said before, I really don't care about the "flat design" as long as the information CONTENT doesn't change. But that's not what they're doing. I know we haven't seen the final version, but the fact that they're preparing the release notes with these new "Apps" (which aren't "apps" at all) tells me that they're going to do whatever ...they want to do, and ... hundreds or thousands of loyal, early adopter customers.[/COLOR]

You are absolutely correct that no one can tell you what is important data to you.
I don't believe anyone is arguing that your opinion is wrong.
What people are trying to do is a look at what data is valuable to the most people. Also, what data is the most important for safely operating the vehicle.
Using those guidelines, it is possible to get a more objective picture. Not completely objective, however much less subjective than simply opinion.

As for what Tesla can and can't do, they can make changes anytime they want.
They would be wise not to make frequent changes as they don't want to tick off any customers. Likewise, if new data needs to be available to the driver, that data needs to be added somewhere, necessitating a change of some sort to the UI.

And finally, as you mentioned, you don't know what the final result will be. For all you know their will be a user option for the old or new layout, or they will only roll out the new UI to the Model X.

I get being concerned, but you seem to be reacting without getting a chance to try it out in its final form.

No no no. You've got the wrong motif. In order to match the round analogue clock and take up as much dash space as possible, the new thermostat will look like this:

View attachment 95215

But with less depth and realism of course, cause skeuomorphism is bad.
Round thermometer should also have thin line pointer plus a color changing tape to match the speedometer. Blue for temperature under 2C, orange for temperature to 30C and red for temperature over 30C. with a digital readout in the center. :tongue: At 10C (configurable at the control panel), the steering wheel heater should automatically turn on so that I can keep my hands on the wheel for AP. :wink:

In fairness, that cuts both ways; many people also got 'shouted out' of this discussion early on (no implication to Hank in particular). I actually like the bits of the UI we've seen so far and look forward to seeing and driving the complete deal.

[Retreating back into the closet now]

In fairness, that cuts both ways; many people also got 'shouted out' of this discussion early on (no implication to Hank in particular). I actually like the bits of the UI we've seen so far and look forward to seeing and driving the complete deal.

I don't think anyone's been shouted out (and if so, I apologize). There have been a wide diversity of views posted.

There's clearly not a consensus, which is sad from my perspective because it means Tesla is less likely to alter their plans.

I'll just be over here, shaking my cane at all of you.

Thr main issue here is that it seems that all cars get the same GUI. As time goes by the features of new cars will dictate how the IC will appear. At one point older cars will get reduced functionallity by upgrading the GUI.
A more configurable GUI will solve this.
A choice to turn the lower status line on/off cold be a start. .

+1. I love the new UI with the toy car. But I don't see a point stating that 1e6 in this thread (only about once every 20-30 pages ;))

@all -Ignoring the fine discussions here, THE master question is still unanswered:

When do we expect to get 7.0?[emoji144]

We know the beta people got RCs, so how does tesla usually need to send final to ordinary people?[emoji102]

Are there reasons to believe it will released with the X on 9/29?[emoji120]

Will it be this year?[emoji33]

Last edited: