Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So let me get this straight. Arguably one of the most important pieces of information (how much range do I have) has been moved away from the most central spot to make room for something that some people may have wanted to see for rather questionable reasons (because your driving pattern should be determined by what is a safe and appropriate speed at the moment, not by "did my break lights turn on").

With respect to Tesla's Human Interaction Design department... "beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life on this planet".
Actually, I'm beginning to doubt that they HAVE a HID department. Because the summer intern who did all this most likely went back to school by now (and changed their major to something they are better in like art history or creative writing).

Again, I totally agree. Knowing when regen puts on your brake lights is something one might do once or twice to figure it out.. then it's just "known". I did it when I first got my car, and haven't cared since.

But remaining RANGE?? I USE THAT EVERY FREAKING DAY.

Seriously, I wish I could fly out to Tesla and meet with the team that put this together. Because without any internal context as to why they did these things, it looks like they were made in a complete vacuum without any respect to how the interface is ACTUALLY USED.

It's like I said before -- it seems like they said 'let's make a design that "looks good".. but "works good"? Who cares?? ' Even the release notes say it's a "more modern design" Well crikey -- that's great. But it's utterly USELESS!

For the first time in a year and a half, my P85 just got worse, not better. Thanks Elon.
All the fanboys on this forum said, "wait before you criticize, wait..." Well, we got just what we expected for us non-AP people -- an amateur-designed piece of garbage that decreases functionality, not improves it (range is the most important piece of info other than speed!!!!), solving problems I never had. Who needs that stupid toy car to take up central real estate -- really?
I will wait for 7.1, but I have a funny feeling they are just going to make this interface a worse and worse piece of garbage. They are clueless. Maybe they should let Apple do their interface work and put us out of our misery. Someone should lose his job.

I also had an update failure just now.

My local Tesla service center advised that they don't even have the 7.0 firmware software to install it manually yet.

Update: SC called me back. Said it looks like a symptom of a hardware related problem. Probably need to take the car in for service to get it to update properly. I may have an older version of some part that has to be swapped out.

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say someone needs to lose their job, but Tesla definitely has their work cut out for them on 7.1. I do have an expectation that our concerns will be addressed.

And yes, everyone who asked us all to withhold feedback until we experienced 7.0 was wrong, IMO. We ought to continue to voice our concerns whether it's a beta, release candidate, or final. This is what you get when you leave it up to the beta testers.

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say someone needs to lose their job, but Tesla definitely has their work cut out for them on 7.1. I do have an expectation that our concerns will be addressed.

And yes, everyone who asked us all to withhold feedback until we experienced 7.0 was wrong, IMO. We ought to continue to voice our concerns whether it's a beta, release candidate, or final. This is what you get when you leave it up to the beta testers.

Completely agree. I went so far as to ask a nice beta tester whom I happen to know to please forward my concerns on to Tesla. And yes, the more people voice their concern, the more likely it is we'll be heard.

What I have seen so far in the reports from today only affirms my decision to continue to decline the update nag screen.
If you accepted the nag and got the upgrade and find the new design flawed, please report that as a bug to Tesla.

Just tested it for lunch. Initial observations:

1) Too much information has been pushed to the outer edges of the IC. Speedometer is high enough you can’t see it unless steering wheel was readjusted. Directional gear indicator pushed to right, easily obscured when the steering wheel isn’t “straight and level” especially when say you’ve pulled into a parking lot, and are now pulling out, needing to confirm direction of travel.
2) Overload of information – The toy car in the center of the UI is constantly updating with the sensor packages understanding of the real world. Means that it is constantly changing and showing you appearing and disappearing lines, other cars, angles, errors such as reflections from other cars chromes causing CCD lines, and the jelly sensor lines that indicate how far the car thinks it is at this moment from the car to your left, the curb, the bushes and hedges on the curb, the passing streetlamps, etc.
3) The cruise control is now digital, as is speedometer. This requires you to do math and make predictions about what will happen when engaging, disengaging, or reengaging the control. Before, I could assure that the dotted line aligned with the arrow, which would be above or below my current blue speed. The next action the computer would take was obvious.
4) It’s easy for the car to get confused, and it’s not gentle about its decisions. After entering the 520, facing away from the sun at the hour, the car couldn’t decide what to do about a slightly wider than normal lane. It literally shot the steering back and forth as it hunted from edge to edge, like a teenage driver losing control. The system also didn’t want to relinquish control to me, as I thought overriding it with manual pressure on the wheel would cancel it’s erratic behavior, instead it was a wrestling match until I hit the brakes on the freeway, further destabilizing my mass. Needless to say, the other cars on the highway were giving me a wide berth by this point.

Saladman, if you ever want autosteer to disengage and your steering controls aren't enough to disable it and don't want to hit the brakes, you can press in the cruise stalk to put AP in standby. Just in case you ever need to take over again in such a scenario.

1) Too much information has been pushed to the outer edges of the IC. [...]
2) Overload of information [...]
3) The cruise control is now digital, as is speedometer. This requires you to do math and make predictions about what will happen when engaging, disengaging, or reengaging the control. Before, I could assure that the dotted line aligned with the arrow, which would be above or below my current blue speed. The next action the computer would take was obvious.
4) It’s easy for the car to get confused, and it’s not gentle about its decisions. After entering the 520, facing away from the sun at the hour, the car couldn’t decide what to do about a slightly wider than normal lane. It literally shot the steering back and forth as it hunted from edge to edge, like a teenage driver losing control. The system also didn’t want to relinquish control to me, as I thought overriding it with manual pressure on the wheel would cancel it’s erratic behavior, instead it was a wrestling match until I hit the brakes on the freeway, further destabilizing my mass. Needless to say, the other cars on the highway were giving me a wide berth by this point.
1/2/3 - many of us have commented on this... data visualization has suffered a lot. Craptastic is what Hank calls it
4 - holy crap. That's scary. It didn't want to relinquish control? Please report this to NHTSA immediately. That's a massive safety risk and a possible cause for serious accidents.
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

The rule of thumb is if you can't see the lane lines clearly neither can the AP camera. It does take a little more torque than I like to get it to relinquish control of the car. This is the only feature where the Infiniti Q50 is superior, only because it uses drive by wire. The Infiniti allows you to take over with ease because it's not turning the steering wheel. The Infinity also takes back over once you stop turning the steering wheel without you having to turn lane keeping back on. I can accept this inferiority since everything else on the AP is far superior.

Report this to Tesla so they can have a real person look over the data and logs. Would be helpful to them to find logs if you could remember the time when it happened.

I don't recall this as being a common complaint. For those that wanted it, what was wrong with opening the About or Charging screens and watching brake light feedback?

Also, I'm pretty sure these same folks who raised the issue would rather see the battery icon rather than the car icon.

My observation is that people who need to know when their brakes are on aren't aware they need the display. (I'm talking about the people who really don't understand how their driving style and constant brake flickering impacts other traffic)

The rule of thumb is if you can't see the lane lines clearly neither can the AP camera. It does take a little more torque than I like to get it to relinquish control of the car. This is the only feature where the Infiniti Q50 is superior, only because it uses drive by wire. The Infiniti allows you to take over with ease because it's not turning the steering wheel. The Infinity also takes back over once you stop turning the steering wheel without you having to turn lane keeping back on. I can accept this inferiority since everything else on the AP is far superior.

#4 was an absolute surprise. The lanes were clearly marked. The sun was high, but behind the car. I've worked extensively with imaging systems. My guess: The lanes being slightly wider caused it to "hunt" which is a standard AI behaviour when they are young, and when they get lost. But I've never been a human in a hunt before. It'll be a while before I test it with the whole family on board.

- - - Updated - - -

Report this to Tesla so they can have a real person look over the data and logs. Would be helpful to them to find logs if you could remember the time when it happened.

Agreed. Could always be user error. ;)

Please report this to NHTSA immediately. That's a massive safety risk and a possible cause for serious accidents.
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Too much drama. It's the first day and everyone is getting acclimated to the new system. There are 3 ways to turn off autosteer. 1.) turn the steering wheel 2.) hit the brake 3.) press the button on the end of the cruise control lever.

It shows brake lights and turn signals on non AP cars.

ColbertStare.gif

"How much range and battery do I have lef... oh, look! Pretty lights!" Seriously...?

Y'all are going to clobber me.

OK, I'm not outraged. Most other cars have the odometer below the speedometer in the center and the 'fuel gauge' on the left side somewhere. If you were coming from another car, the ODO and fuel would be right where you expect it to be.

Knowing when the brake lights are on could be useful, and even helpful in having the car train newer owners how to better modulate their regen and use of actual brakes. There are times where I have wondered if my brake lights are on or should I give that left pedal a push as people come up behind me.

I view this as the Tesla "Windows 8.1" moment. You might have liked "Windows 7 "better, but "Windows 10" will come in an update before the end of the year, I would bet.

Since pre-AP cars keeps the round speedometer with energymeter what we need is only to keep the lower "statusbar" with temp /date/time. They put the battery on the left side and the Odometer in the middle... not optimal but probably to keep the placing of the battery similar to AP cars.
"Just one small statusline.. please! !? "

I view this as the Tesla "Windows 8.1" moment. You might have liked "Windows 7 "better, but "Windows 10" will come in an update before the end of the year, I would bet.

You're right about that. Tesla outsourced the UI design to Microsoft.

I would call it a "Windows ME" moment. Or perhaps "Bob".

- - - Updated - - -

Since pre-AP cars keeps the round speedometer with energymeter what we need is only to keep the lower "statusbar" with temp /date/time. They put the battery on the left side and the Odometer in the middle... not optimal but probably to keep the placing of the battery similar to AP cars.
"Just one small statusline.. please! !? "

Yes, I'd totally agree with this. Restore the status bar as it was, and I can live with everything else (bad battery and odo placement and toy car).

1) Too much information has been pushed to the outer edges of the IC. Speedometer is high enough you can’t see it unless steering wheel was readjusted. Directional gear indicator pushed to right, easily obscured when the steering wheel isn’t “straight and level” especially when say you’ve pulled into a parking lot, and are now pulling out, needing to confirm direction of travel.
2) Overload of information – The toy car in the center of the UI is constantly updating with the sensor packages understanding of the real world. Means that it is constantly changing and showing you appearing and disappearing lines, other cars, angles, errors such as reflections from other cars chromes causing CCD lines, and the jelly sensor lines that indicate how far the car thinks it is at this moment from the car to your left, the curb, the bushes and hedges on the curb, the passing streetlamps, etc.
That's very strange indeed. Every time I moved the steering wheel it disengaged auto steer, as it says it will in the manual. You definitely need to get this looked into.