Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An unordered list would be fine.
The car already knows when it is pointing East west... In the middle of the day the two that have the appropriate pressure change while parked are on the sunny side.
The car also knows slope of road or using changes while driving it might be able to figure out front from back.

However I do agree that an unordered list would still be useful.

After using the car for the last couple of days overall I like the new UI. The graphics seem higher resolution on the 17" especially for the Media app which is nice. The music volume seems higher. Its nice to see the additional file information on the Media app while playing the music. I love the nav display and the new real estate it uses at the top on the IC.

I do have some suggestions for improvements.

Yesterday when the outside temperature was warmer the heating seemed lax and the fan would not come up even when I turned the temperature up to 30 C. This morning it was almost freezing and the heat seemed fine. We will have to monitor this to see if there is a bug.

I like the car icon in the middle as I like knowing when my brake lights are turning on when using regenerative braking. <SNIP>

I would like the battery meter and the odometer swapped. I look at the range meter way more than the odometer reading and having to look down and left takes my eyes off the road more than just looking down. The odometer font is too big as well, partly because I now have 6 digits!

Remove 0 in front of the AM time.

re the hvac: I found the same thing yesterday. temp was 10 outside, and when I turned on the cabin heater to 21 to warm up , the a/c kicked on. Having a/c was the last thing I wanted. And the fan speed remained low. I'll see if it remains like this and have them check it when I get my service done November 3rd.

Regarding the improved RWD performance/torque sleep, etc. I'm wondering if this is linked to the version of the drive unit. The DU's have been undergoing continual-improvement, but right now they have a version 2, at least for P cars. I know this because I have a DU change scheduled for next week and Service Centre told me.

Not aware of a version 2 but I know there have been many hardware revs. Mine is a -K from the last swap I had in February. Let us know what you find out.

I think that these 7.0 threads have provided useful information, perspectives and opinions, and overall are very helpful to the community. One recurring comment, however, gives me the willies.
Appearance is a matter of taste. I think the new UI is butt-ugly and embarrassing -- others think that it is great -- that's just the way taste works.

Function, however, is another matter. How many posts by non-AP owners have praised the new information provided? Oh wait, except for the totally useless information that your brake lights are on, there's not any ...
Thank you harry. Very well said. I can certainly live with the new flat design. In fact, I may even prefer it. I have too many important things in my life to sweat this one.

Disagree. I have posted several times on various threads that I prefer the new UI to the old UI in my "classic" S. Advantages of the new UI are, IN MY OPINION:
Significantly increased readability of information at the top of the center display because of the darker background and changed font (improved in the drivers display as well).
Clearer climate controls at the bottom of the center display (I never used the tiny icons that are no longer in the center climate control icon, too small for me and I have very close to 20/20 vision).
Elimination of the useless skeumorphism everywhere, which results in information being conveyed more clearly.
Greatly improved trip app in the drivers display is no longer a riot of numbers but is now a succinct summary of useful information.
Nav app in drivers display is much nicer and shows me more info.
Battery icon and range number in drivers display is more legible without taking up so much space.
Full screen media app is improved...
I would gladly accept most of these improvements you mentioned. It's the other ones that everyone talked about here that I don't want to lose, and seem like a bigger loss than gain in total. Give us the range back in the middle and move the odometer back. Move the gear indicator back. Get rid of the toy car. Give me my clock where I can regularly see it.

The people who are the most upset about certain changes often complain the loudest. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a product or requesting features be changed. But the loudest critical voices do not always represent the consensus of user opinion. As a former product manager of software-driven products, I know something about this. I also know that sometimes I made decisions that turned out to be wrong. Give your feedback to Tesla and let's see what V7.1 looks like.
If this thread has proven anything, it's that there are a lot of reasonable people here, with a history of positive contributions to this forum, that are clearly dissatisfied. As harry stated above, taking appearance completely out of the discussion, it seems that there is an overwhelming (though given, not unanimous) consensus that people seem dissatisfied with the change in function. Very few people comparatively have found the new function an improvement.

Not aware of a version 2 but I know there have been many hardware revs. Mine is a -K from the last swap I had in February. Let us know what you find out.

The guys at SC were very specific in saying it was a V2 as opposed to revised. Will be my second replacement, initially brought-on by a clicking sound when accelerating/decelerating - that was traced to loose bearings in the drive-shafts, but then a mild clunk was discovered too.

Anyhow, will let you know...

- - - Updated - - -

110.jpg

If you were creating a skeuomorphic design from simple graphics and then applying filters, textures, and shadows to it via the CPU, the flat design (especially without gradients) would certainly be faster. However, if you properly use a GPU, defining those graphics as textures, allowing it to draw shadows and apply filters, the speed difference would be minute (because it's hardware accelerated and those component would just go idle if you didn't use them -- you could make an argument for power efficiency via power-gating). If you further optimized by applying static skeuomorphic graphics and only had the GPU do basic shadowing, the speed difference would be immeasurable. You can define whatever textures you want, flat or skeuomorphic and the GPU is none-the-wiser. So for you to make a blanket statement like what I've quoted you on, is completely incorrect. I can guarantee you that the differences in performance that you observed were due to changes in your rendering pipeline, not the design itself.

It's like saying, "we moved to text on our poster instead of pictures, because the text is lighter". The fact is that virtually all of the weight is taken up by the poster itself, regardless of what's on the canvas.

This is just turning into "he said" - "he said". I'm sure you believe that you are correct. I don't know what you do for a living. I happen to work for a company that makes CPUs and GPUs and that competes with NVidia for many of these sockets - and in this company, I'm in the group that does among other things the software for embedded and mobile devices including the optimizations for the full system stack in order for our customers to achieve their target frame rates and power envelope - and this includes the in vehicle infotainment systems for several large car makers (Tesla is special as they believe they are the smartest people in the universe and don't work with anyone outside on this with rather disappointing results - the browser is saddest joke ever, given the hardware and open source software that they have at their disposal - but that's a different thread). All that said... whatever. If you think it makes no difference then you are entitled to your believe. I happen to have hard data that shows otherwise, so I'll stick with my believe.

Peace.

getting my CPO car this week
I have been following all these threads and can say im so confused.
I will be a classic user, who will get his first tesla with version 7
So I have been looking for usefull information on pros and cons
You guys are losing focus, and attacking one another because of?

From what I see, This is the biggest change ever.

We should be having a positive feedback arena and a negative one.

Its all getting washed together.

What does not work should be front and center and reported to Tesla

Keep me focused. Dont burst my bubble. Thursday is coming...Im getting a Tesla.

getting my CPO car this week

Keep me focused. Don't burst my bubble. Thursday is coming...I'm getting a Tesla.

Congratulations on your coming delivery. Don't worry about any bubble-bursting. You will love your Model S. Just as you say, the amount of discussion about V7.0 is because it IS a big set of changes. The fact that there are various strong opinions about the changes does not address the substance of this amazing car.

Or you could just check your tires once a month with a gauge. Modern tires loose air very slowly, unless they have a real leak. Your TPMS will detect if one tire is leaking and is significantly down compared to the rest and then alert you. Then you can get your gauge out and determine which tire is low.
Of course it would be better if the TPMS told you which tire was low. But your TPMS is still very useful as is.

Or you could just check your tires once a month with a gauge. Modern tires loose air very slowly, unless they have a real leak. Your TPMS will detect if one tire is leaking and is significantly down compared to the rest and then alert you. Then you can get your gauge out and determine which tire is low.
Of course it would be better if the TPMS told you which tire was low. But your TPMS is still very useful as is.

Well if you don't live in California you have these things called Seasons. :tongue:

I end up adjusting my tire pressure more often due to seasonality than I do due to leakage. I like the TPMS display on my phone showing me realtime PSI as the tire heats up and cools down. It's easier than trying to figure out if the weather changed enough to matter.

I don't have to pull out a tire gauge I just decide if it is time to pull out an air compressor or not. It's more convenient in the same way a smart key system saves you from having to put a key in a door lock or ignition. Cordless vs cord. Give me my information without me pulling another item out and plugging it in please.

Last edited:

I doubt it is. I have an M revision and I did not receive it. Imagine if it got out that all you needed was a DU unit swap under warranty to get the speed boost. You'd have a lot of false positives.

Very disappointed that 7.0 did not fix the problem of the music advancing while the car is asleep and starting right up when I open my door despite being paused before leaving the car. They could have at least fixed that since they made the UI worse.

I want to be able to see my trip meters that I set without having to use the entire 17" screen to do so. I suppose it is interesting to see my Wh/mi and time for each leg of my errands, but why could they not show my trip meters too?

I never run my ac on auto so it is a step down to just see the word "Custom" instead of the indication about the ac on or off.

I was less efficient today with the new throttle mapping. I think I was accelerating faster with my foot in the same position due to the new curve.

I agree with others that the battery indicator should be in the center, because I look at it frequently. I could careless about seeing the odometer reading, it is something I am interested in about once a month.

Got the upgrade yesterday. I have put the clock on the left side of my Speedo and the new Trip App on the Right side. Having the music on the left side was redundant so I don't miss that, and the energy graph I used to keep on the right was never really very useful to me either. So I'm happy with the upgrades. Not sure I love the new graphics package yet, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Question: How are you guys setting up your Dash now? What's on the left side of your Speedo and what's on the right?

Got the upgrade yesterday. I have put the clock on the left side of my Speedo and the new Trip App on the Right side. Having the music on the left side was redundant so I don't miss that, and the energy graph I used to keep on the right was never really very useful to me either. So I'm happy with the upgrades. Not sure I love the new graphics package yet, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Question: How are you guys setting up your Dash now? What's on the left side of your Speedo and what's on the right?

I debated replacing the music on the left with the clock since it's redundant, but then so is the clock and I do agree with others that it isn't a great design. I don't really find the energy graph very interesting, so haven't found anything else I like to use in that spot. For the time being I left it the same, music on the left and the new (IMO improved) trip computer on the right. If we had lost the energy meter I would have replaced the music on the left with the energy meter, but fortunately that wasn't necessary.

I delayed upgrading by one day after reading about all the disappointed people in this thread, but having finally upgraded today, frankly I'm not sure what all the frustration is about. Yes they changed the look, moved a couple of things around, and some of the items in the new interface are definitely "first release" in terms of capability, but I'm sure they will keep getting better and I'm glad to be able to enjoy at least some of the continuous improvement in my two year old car.

Do I wish I had an autopilot enabled car so the "toy car" would do more than just tell me when the brake lights are on? Sure. Would I give back two years of Tesla ownership and delay my purchase to get AP now? No. Would I spend 50k selling my car and getting a new one now just for AP? No. Does it feel like Tesla has got the car world moving at a different pace and obsolescence comes faster? sure. Do I want Tesla to keep innovating at the same pace? Of course! Then the next Tesla I buy whenever I do so will be even better!

Tesla is really deploying the apple model to cars. For the first year you are at the top of the wave, the second year you are pretty cool, third year onwards you have good technology but overshadowed by the latest innovations.

Very disappointed that 7.0 did not fix the problem of the music advancing while the car is asleep and starting right up when I open my door despite being paused before leaving the car. They could have at least fixed that since they made the UI worse.

Me too. In addition to it playing after being paused, I listen to podcasts that are lengthy but if I go to music and come back, it will start at the beginning so I always have to note the time. I also have to note the program and time when I leave the car because it can play for hours by itself. It never used to do either of these things until recently. I wish I could just roll back to an older version until it was fixed.

Also, 7.0 looks cartoonish. I don't like it at all.

Hmm... maybe all the good Tesla UI people left and went to Apple. Gulp.... All the hype Elon has been providing is just for all the AutoPilot people or anything produced when P85D announced. I say don't tell us $hit since we don't get $hit. There are no performance improvements for our antique cars.