Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Response:
-----------------------------------------------------

Hello,

You have reached an address that is no longer monitored.
If you have taken delivery of your vehicle, please email [email protected].
If you have questions regarding your reservation or existing order, contact [email protected].

So apparently that's dead, and there's no replacement email address that I can spot on Tesla's website. The service center suggested I try the "submit a question or comment" section at the bottom of the Contacts page.

If you read the bottom of the email it's right there
[email protected]

Response:

Hello,

You have reached an address that is no longer monitored.
If you have taken delivery of your vehicle, please email [email protected].
If you have questions regarding your reservation or existing order, contact [email protected].

So apparently that's dead, and there's no replacement email address that I can spot on Tesla's website. The service center suggested I try the "submit a question or comment" section at the bottom of the Contacts page.

Yes I initially posted the wrong email address but also posted a correction this morning. Please use [email protected]

I would assume that emails about the user interface that are sent to the service email address would be forwarded to the appropriate department, so everyone who thinks the battery meter/rated range and odometer positions should be flipped back where they were, or has other comments about the UI changes, please tell Tesla. Don't just post here.

Dilbert seems to have a cartoon for every situation....
540a6ec0a42b0132cbc1005056a9545d.gif

OK, finally got around to upgrading. Instead of rehashing everything that's been said here, I tried to think of items that could potentially be unanimously agreed upon. A stretch, I know, but here's a shot. Remember, I'm assuming the opinions on these things are unanimous. I'm sure you'll let me know how wrong I am.

Pro:
Full Screen Media App
Torque Sleep for RWD MS (assuming as promised)
Improved Climate Control (assuming as promised)

Con:
Moving battery icon to lower left of IC

The only other con I could think of which might be considered unanimous would be moving the clock and temperature off of the IC, but I realized that I never looked at it there, and always used the 17", so for me it's not a con. I suppose maybe the car icon/"toy car" thing. I could get behind that being a con. Sound right?

OK, finally got around to upgrading. Instead of rehashing everything that's been said here, I tried to think of items that could potentially be unanimously agreed upon. A stretch, I know, but here's a shot. Remember, I'm assuming the opinions on these things are unanimous. I'm sure you'll let me know how wrong I am.

Pro:
Full Screen Media App

Con:

The only other con I could think of which might be considered unanimous would be moving the clock and temperature off of the IC, but I realized that I never looked at it there, and always used the 17", so for me it's not a con. I suppose maybe the car icon/"toy car" thing. I could get behind that being a con. Sound right?
I think your "con" is unanimous. The toy car thing is almost unanimous, but there are a few people who wanted to see when the brake lights come on. I don't know why.

I think your "con" is unanimous. The toy car thing is almost unanimous, but there are a few people who wanted to see when the brake lights come on. I don't know why.

As I mentioned before there is an easy fix for this. The toy car should be part of the car status app that can be side loaded on the IC for folks that really want to see what their brake lights look like.

Pro:
Full Screen Media App

Con:

I'm not sure that climate control is unanimous. I've seen complaints about it, although reaction seems to be mostly positive.

I also don't agree that the move of the battery icon is a con. It is similar to the fuel gauge on an ICE -- I don't actually need it very often at all. Unless I am on a trip I always know that I have enough charge and I have no use whatsoever for the status. Literally 95% of the time, I know I have more than enough charge on a daily basis and I assume that is true for most people. Putting it so large and prominent as it did in v6 just wasted valuable real estate.

Last edited:

Pro:
Full Screen Media App

Con:

I think that sums up the pros/cons well. Full screen Media App is very much appreciated and the devs should be told that more. Although I would also add that I appreciated the new color-scheme for night driving. Since there isn't an option for total screen off, the darker tones do less to damage the night vision. The separation of the trip widget is also a welcome addition by having a separate counter for 'since last charge' and 'since last drive start'. I'd still take out the toy car widget and put back range/percent remaining. And I'd move the odometer back to the bottom along with the time and date as well.

The only thing the odometer in the middle does for me is give me a ticking time-bomb countdown until the warranty is up. That's far more anxiety than range ever gave me.

I'll go against the general consensus and say that I *think* v7 is a step in the right direction (perhaps a diagonal one if it gets more to agree). Especially now that AP is in the wild, they can now move on to adding some more features in as posted in the feature request thread (huge media app improvements, GPS folding mirrors, POI on trips or upcoming stops, determinations on if range is available to skip the next charger, exterior temp reading, rain sensing sunroof, upcoming weather you may be driving into, etc. etc.) I still want 3rd party app development so as to speed up feature implementation and alleviate stress/workload from the devs.

I thought I would be able to see the brake lights come on and thus gave the toycar the benefit of a doubt.
I can't actually see them. (Pearl White car, not red)

I do feel they listened to me about keeping analog Speed/Energy dial.

And I will probably still have the car when Skeuo comes back in fashion... [emoji6]

So I endorse Ohmman's +/- list as read into the record.

Last edited:
Just updated out of Necessity. I wanted to hold off for a long time, however, after my 3rd drive unit gave me a scare Friday, Engeneering reviewed the logs and said V7 would fix it. So Reluctantly, I updated (Rather then getting stranded someplace). I seriously doubt the firmware will fix the issue I had with my DU, as every other reference to the same problem and errors resulted in a DU Replacement. So I just went out to the car and played with the V7 a bit more (Limited time last week on a friends "Classic S" to play with V7).
SERIOUSLY! I would have rather risked more DU Glitches then upgrading to this CRAP. I'm sorry to say it, But I am a more vocal person about things when someone F's Them up.
This is a Royal F-Up. Crap in every sense of the word. Am I hurting Feelings? Yes, am I going to take crap for my opinions, Yep. But they are my opinions, and I will voice them. This is the biggest step backwards.... This interface is just Crap, Literal, Stinky, Royal Crap. I feel like I'm driving a Windows 3.1 car now....... But then, even Windows 3.1 looked and functioned better then this....

This is no longer the car I purchased, Not in a Good Sense. I would rather go back 2 1/2 years to Firmware 4.2 and loose all progress since. Actually, 4.2 was the most stable version I've ever had in my car. Auto worked, no bugs, snappier accel, better Regen. Only thing was slightly slower Superchargign (70kW limited on 60's and 90kW limited on 85's). But, ya know what, EVERYTHING WORKED, and EVERYTHING LOOKED GOOD!!!. They changed the original Dash screen look to the more flattened version around V5.6ish, and now this. It's been a progression to Crap since.

Sorry/Not Sorry for those whose feeling I've hurt. I hope everyone realizes that when I have a opinion, I will be brutally honest. I do not sugarcoat things. This, version, really, does, suck.

Not hurting my feelings, it's just that your reaction, in my opinion, is WAY over the top hyperbole. The car is the same, the interface is a bit different and we did lose immediate up front access to information that is useful. I suspect that will all be fixed in short order, as is typical of Tesla in most things (though still no way to directly enter an XM station which pisses me off). IMO you're dramatically overreacting and you can express your displeasure without the hyperbole. It's not that bad, you have to adjust to where to look for things, but the reality is that we are adaptable human beings and it will take you all of about 48 hours to adapt. You may still not prefer the new lay out, but you will learn to use it adeptly and efficienty.

Pro:
Full Screen Media App

Con:

I don't have the Classic Model S, so I'm not sure if they have these particular Pros:
- Easy (un)locking with the lock icon on the top left corner of the big screen. Previously, it was easy to unlock, by pressing the Park button, but I had to go to Settings and be in the right menu to get to the Lock button. Now when people ask me how the handles work, it's super easy to do, whereas earlier firmware required fishing around the menus or the fob to re-lock. I think that's a nice plus!
- Vehicle Hold - Push down on the brake when stopped until you see the (H) icon on the IC to hold the car in place and then let go of the pedals until it's time to go again. Very nice feature! I'm using this feature more often than I thought I would.

I decided to give it 3 days. After getting used to it, only 3 real complaints.

1. The battery on the lower left gets covered up by directions when using Nav. I want the battery and remaining range ALWAYS on top/visible
---- suggestion - move it to bottom center below the odometer or bottom right next to the PRND

2. The toy car is hard to see - differentiation between tail lights and turn signals / brakes is very small
-----suggestion - make the car charcoal grey for all cars. Make the tail lights grey when off and dark red when on so signals stand out. Make the brake light take the WHOLE REAR WINDOW and not just a 1 pixel wide bar. It needs to be functional, not exactly mimic the car's real lighting dimensions.

3. Restore time/date and battery level icon and outside temperature to the center stack - i mean, c'mon, they couldn't have taken THAT many processor cycles.

That's it. Easily fixed stuff.

I could have gone on about "human factors engineering" or how the eye more easily interprets shaded screen objects that mimic 3D and that the "flat design" only works well when looking at a screen and not glancing while trying to guide 4600 pounds of car hurtling down the road, but I didn't say any of that. Just my 3 wishes on this.

Last edited:
I would assume that emails about the user interface that are sent to the service email address would be forwarded to the appropriate department, so everyone who thinks the battery meter/rated range and odometer positions should be flipped back where they were, or has other comments about the UI changes, please tell Tesla. Don't just post here.

One would also assume that some Tesla employees would be required to read this forum....

From what I have seen from pictures I agree. As I read this thread I realize that there are two "camps here. Those who want as much functionallity and relevant information as possible, but dont care so much about looks as long as the information is readable.
Then there are those that doesnt do range calculations their head while they are driving and care more for form than function. Sadly I am in the former "camp".... soon we will be in minority. Soon most people will not be aware of the loss of functionallity we are grieving. The UI will be stylish and "modern" for some time, then we go again....
I am voting for a "Nerd mode", screenfulls of statistics and gauges !

Last edited:
I just sent Tesla my feedback and asked for them to reconsider many of the changes that removed / moved info around to less useful places.

I actually included the contrast issue first -- noticed on my first drive the it was next to impossible to read the dash at my old 25% setting. Played around, and settled at 75% being the best compromise -- dash is readable without sunglasses, barely OK with sunglasses, but the center console is too bright either way.

The rest was a bunch of bullets I've previously commented on. I hope everyone that doesn't like the change gets the feedback to Tesla!

I also don't agree that the move of the battery icon is a con. It is similar to the fuel gauge on an ICE -- I don't actually need it very often at all. Unless I am on a trip I always know that I have enough charge and I have no use whatsoever for the status. Literally 95% of the time, I know I have more than enough charge on a daily basis and I assume that is true for most people. Putting it so large and prominent as it did in v6 just wasted valuable real estate.

But it's not an ICE.

Do you use the odometer on 95% of drives? Which number do you think is more important to an EV driver more often, the battery status/rated range or the miles driven since day 1? The answer to that question should determine which number is front and center, and which is off in the corner and sometimes covered up by the navigation directions box.