Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that sums up the pros/cons well.
Although I would also add that I appreciated the new color-scheme for night driving. Since there isn't an option for total screen off, the darker tones do less to damage the night vision. The separation of the trip widget is also a welcome addition by having a separate counter for 'since last charge' and 'since last drive start'. I'd still take out the toy car widget and put back range/percent remaining. And I'd move the odometer back to the bottom along with the time and date as well.
I still want 3rd party app development so as to speed up feature implementation and alleviate stress/workload from the devs.
I agree !
The most important issue is to get the "static" information on the IC back.
That means leave it as it is in 6.2 ; battery range back in the middle and the lower statusline as it is.

(1) I think using the same battery logo they have now in v7, above or below the rated range or percentage in slightly larger font, swapping positions with the odometer would address two common concerns - important range info and making sure it doesn't get covered up by the Nav.

(2) Lighten up the text on the instrument cluster to have more contrast.

(3) Tweak the energy app to have a bit more detail.

These three with let the IC be very easy to read while staying with the existing style language.

Ideally they could also have room for (4) Add the date/time output back into the bottom of the instrument cluster.

There are many things I would change about the functionality, but I'll leave those for another discussion.

But it's not an ICE.

Do you use the odometer on 95% of drives? Which number do you think is more important to an EV driver more often, the battery status/rated range or the miles driven since day 1? The answer to that question should determine which number is front and center, and which is off in the corner and sometimes covered up by the navigation directions box.

I don't use either one very often since I don't drive 200+ miles in a normal day. I would like it moved back as well but it's rarely covered up by the Nav. If you are going on a 200+ mile trip you should probably put it in the Nav so you can track your estimated battery percentage on arrival. Either way it's just a quick glance from the center of the IC.

Last edited:
I also don't agree that the move of the battery icon is a con. It is similar to the fuel gauge on an ICE -- I don't actually need it very often at all. Unless I am on a trip I always know that I have enough charge and I have no use whatsoever for the status. Literally 95% of the time, I know I have more than enough charge on a daily basis and I assume that is true for most people. Putting it so large and prominent as it did in v6 just wasted valuable real estate.

Whoa, what? As if the car icon isn't a waste of valuable screen real estate? Vast majority agree the battery icon takes precedent over the toy car and the odo.

But it's not an ICE.

Do you use the odometer on 95% of drives? Which number do you think is more important to an EV driver more often, the battery status/rated range or the miles driven since day 1? The answer to that question should determine which number is front and center, and which is off in the corner and sometimes covered up by the navigation directions box.

^This

Whoa, what? As if the car icon isn't a waste of valuable screen real estate? Vast majority agree the battery icon takes precedent over the toy car and the odo

I'd be fine with swapping the odo and the battery -- I don't look at either one very often. My point was that it should be small and not as prominent as it was in v6. I think the fact that it isn't an ICE is the very reason I don't need the battery status. My car is always full in the morning and the gauge is not something I need to look at on a normal day. If I'm on a trip, I prefer the more detailed information on the energy/trip panel on the 17" screen and that is pretty much the only time that I'd get it overlaid by the nav box.

Updating..

Pro:
Full Screen Media App
Torque Sleep for RWD MS (assuming as promised)
Improved Climate Control (assuming as promised)
Lock/Unlock from 17"
Much improved trip app (I can't believe I missed this on the list; I've been asking for it for over a year!)

Con:
Moving battery icon to lower left of IC
Contrast issue
Car image in the IC aka "toy car" - didn't hear anyone really say they'd be sad if it were gone again.

Only reason I mention the "unanimous" or nearly so is that these seem like easy things to agree upon. And who doesn't love agreeing? Plus, anyone from Tesla reading can know what we all think should change, and what we're all pretty glad they did change.

Updating..

Pro:
Full Screen Media App
Torque Sleep for RWD MS (assuming as promised)
Improved Climate Control (assuming as promised)
Lock/Unlock from 17"
Much improved trip app (I can't believe I missed this on the list; I've been asking for it for over a year!)

Con:
Moving battery icon to lower left of IC
Contrast issue
Car image in the IC aka "toy car" - didn't hear anyone really say they'd be sad if it were gone again.

Only reason I mention the "unanimous" or nearly so is that these seem like easy things to agree upon. And who doesn't love agreeing? Plus, anyone from Tesla reading can know what we all think should change, and what we're all pretty glad they did change.
Great summary of pros/cons. Almost universal agreement on these. I would add to the con list: Clock placement. Is anyone happy with the new placement? I think the vast majority want it back on the driver's screen. I can deal with it wherever, but prefer it where it served a purpose.

While I'm not happy with most of the changes in the new interface, I would have probably just accepted them as "meh," enjoyed the pros as listed, and moved on, anxiously awaiting the next release. I will love this car no matter what. However, I am refusing to update for one reason only: The ability to easily see all relevant items on both screens with sunglasses on. This one issue is an absolute deal breaker for me. In fact, I am surprised that this would pass any DOT/NHTSA standard, if any such authority has ever even considered looking at software updates, as no company has done anything like this before. Does anyone know if Tesla is required to submit such changes for approval?

LOL

after reading through all posts in this thread, I am very glad I kept postponing. I will stay on 6.2 indefinitely until Tesla fixes the horrible UI in v7 and restores the common features and displays that were so useful to us that are now gone. also Tesla: please fire anyone who was in charge of making decisions on the v7 software. please send them back over to the Apple graveyard. We don't want them working for Tesla anymore. They are killing your customers.

Ditto. I'm postponing v7 every morning (as is my husband in his MS) and will continue to do so as long as possible.

LOL

I eat 41,000 miles for breakfast.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for doing this.

after reading through all posts in this thread, I am very glad I kept postponing. I will stay on 6.2 indefinitely until Tesla fixes the horrible UI in v7 and restores the common features and displays that were so useful to us that are now gone. also Tesla: please fire anyone who was in charge of making decisions on the v7 software. please send them back over to the Apple graveyard. We don't want them working for Tesla anymore. They are killing your customers.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty happy with the new UI and like the look. There are some improvements that could be made, but it's not worth giving up the features of 7.0 (especially the climate control performance which has been a big winner for me). In addition, my average Wh/mi has gone down on 7.x for roughly equivalent driving (or seems to be, based on my data for roughly equivalent ambient temps).

Asking for Tesla to fire someone because you don't like something personally is a bit troubling. I'd imagine that Tesla ran several rounds of testing by its beta testers and received appropriate feedback (for example, it seems that the power meter returrned as a result of feedback).

For what it's worth, I'm pretty happy with the new UI and like the look. There are some improvements that could be made, but it's not worth giving up the features of 7.0 (especially the climate control performance which has been a big winner for me). In addition, my average Wh/mi has gone down on 7.x for roughly equivalent driving (or seems to be, based on my data for roughly equivalent ambient temps).

What was wrong with climate control in 6.x? Is heater performance also improved in 7? All I can seem to gather from the forum is that the compressor ramps up more quickly and aggressively. This seems like a negative to me bc that compressor can be embarrassingly loud. What am I missing?

I think that while a more aggressive use of the compressor makes the car louder for a few minutes, it cuts down on overall energy use because fan speed can be reduced during cool down and the car can get to a level to maintain temp rather than change it sooner. But this is conjecture on my part.

Interesting. Way back, it used to be you'd have to flick it in to Drive then back to Park to get the door to unlock and have the handles extend. Then a firmware update made it so you simply had to tap Park (even if already in Park) and the handles would come out. It works every time for me, however, I don't know if I've tried after sitting for some time. I wonder what the logic is with disabling it after a period of time?

Pressing the park always seems to extend the door handles for me.

However, I think we have three separate use-cases here:
- engage parking brake
- unlock doors
- present door handles

Unlock and present are different, unlock means no presentation of door handles, but when unlocked they can be extended by pressing on the outside, when locked, not.

I'm not sure that climate control is unanimous. I've seen complaints about it, although reaction seems to be mostly positive.

I also don't agree that the move of the battery icon is a con. It is similar to the fuel gauge on an ICE -- I don't actually need it very often at all. Unless I am on a trip I always know that I have enough charge and I have no use whatsoever for the status. Literally 95% of the time, I know I have more than enough charge on a daily basis and I assume that is true for most people. Putting it so large and prominent as it did in v6 just wasted valuable real estate.
Yes, but that may only be you. I refer to it quite often, as I charge only every couple of days and will gauge on a daily basis whether I should charge or not (if I need to charge, I park at work in a different and less convenient spot than I do otherwise).

There are some improvements that could be made, but it's not worth giving up the features of 7.0 (especially the climate control performance which has been a big winner for me). In addition, my average Wh/mi has gone down on 7.x for roughly equivalent driving (or seems to be, based on my data for roughly equivalent ambient temps).

For me, the HVAC changes were a wash. The temp setpoint now is closer to reality, but the Auto fan speed, which was too slow before, is now even slower. It rarely goes above 2 after the car is at setpoint, and that just isn't enough air circulation to prevent window fogging.

Unfortunately the weather turned cooler and my consumption has gone up correspondingly, so I can't see if the promised Torque Sleep efficiency improvements are there or not.

Overall, I wish I could roll back.

Yes, but that may only be you. I refer to it quite often, as I charge only every couple of days and will gauge on a daily basis whether I should charge or not (if I need to charge, I park at work in a different and less convenient spot than I do otherwise).

I think it's hard to argue that the relative importance of a car icon with brake lights is greater than that of the battery level, no matter how often you charge. I also can't see many complaining if it gets reverted, which to me makes it a reasonable choice.

For me, the HVAC changes were a wash. The temp setpoint now is closer to reality, but the Auto fan speed, which was too slow before, is now even slower. It rarely goes above 2 after the car is at setpoint, and that just isn't enough air circulation to prevent window fogging.

Unfortunately the weather turned cooler and my consumption has gone up correspondingly, so I can't see if the promised Torque Sleep efficiency improvements are there or not.

Overall, I wish I could roll back.

I find that the HVAC will always put the air towards the feet, not the windshield. This is going to be useless in the winter.
Seems I'll be manually changing all settings in HVAC rather than leave it to auto.