Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone measured the throttle response loss in any way?

I am saying this because it is very difficult to measure perceptions.

I very recently measured my car (S85, non AP) performance on 0-100 kph acceleration with three different SOC, and also measured 60-100 kph and 80-120 kph. I recorded it all and uploaded the videos on YouTube (I have a channel in Spanish to upload Model S videos).

That was all on 6.2. I now plan to do the same on 7.0, and then see what difference there is, if any.

Once I have done it I will upload the videos and share them here, so we can compare.

I have now done the acceleration tests, on the same roads, at the same speeds, and with almost the same SOC.

I have uploaded a video to my YouTube channel to present the results:

It´s in Spanish, so let me translate the most important points:

Under 6.2, I recorded the following times:
0-100 kph = 5,2 s
60-100 kph = 2,5 s
80-120 kph = 2,7 s

Under 7.0, these are the results:
0-100 kph = 5,3 s
60-100 kph = 2,3 s
80-120 kph = 2,8 s

My conclusion is that, since no acceleration has shown a difference bigger than 0,1 seconds (except the 60-100 kph that is 0,2 s faster), it is safe to say that there are no differences in power output or acceleration between SW 6.2 and SW 7.0

The different times can be explained by either the absence of accurate instruments to measure time (I am recording on my iphone and then using a video stopwatch app to set start and end times - not very scientific, is it?), or weather conditions (different temperature). Or the track itself. I went to the same road and tried to remember where I accelerated under SW 6.2, but again, I might have ended up using a different part of the road, with a slight incline, or whatever.

My point is: the difference is too small. I would not go and say the acceleration times are different under SW 7.0

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have issues with the current TPMS system periodically telling me there is a problem and to contact service. My SC will be installing the TPMS upgrade in my Classic P85 on Wednesday. At the same time, they will install the current version of V7 firmware (said it is needed for the TPMS sensors). According to the SC, the latest version of V7 (as of November 2, 2015) is 2.8.188.

I have issues with the current TPMS system periodically telling me there is a problem and to contact service. My SC will be installing the TPMS upgrade in my Classic P85 on Wednesday. At the same time, they will install the current version of V7 firmware (said it is needed for the TPMS sensors). According to the SC, the latest version of V7 (as of November 2, 2015) is 2.8.188.

Is there a cost for the upgrade? I presume this means your "classic" will now display by tire values?

I was thinking about how to make the classic instrument cluster look better. I like the autopilot look of the 7.0 AP cars and was thinking why can't they overlay the road and terrain around the new toy car in the IC similar to the way it shows on the left when navigating now (3D and terrain shadows) . You could then use the left of the panel to show upcoming junction pictures and arrows that count down till the next turn when navigating.

I think the car driving on a virtual navigation map would look very slick. Oh and show us the speed limit from the maps!!

No. It will start us all over with what happened it the betas. There was an outcry when Tesla eliminated the power gauge and center dial in the classics. We're certainly not going to let Tesla revert to that.

Who still really likes the toy car anyhow? Most everyone I've heard that thought it was interesting at first, has already gotten tired of it.

While we're on the subject, I'm going to restate my wish list for 7.1:

1. Swap the odometer and range display.

2. Get rid of the toy car as the default and instead display it as a more full featured and easily read app on the side. Takes care of folks who complain that they can't see the brake lights.

3. Restore climate status indicators including fan speed and recirc mode on the climate tab.

I really don't think this is too much to ask. It's fairly straight forward and reasonable.

No. It will start us all over with what happened it the betas. There was an outcry when Tesla eliminated the power gauge and center dial in the classics. We're certainly not going to let Tesla revert to that.

Who still really likes the toy car anyhow? Most everyone I've heard that thought it was interesting at first, has already gotten tired of it.

While we're on the subject, I'm going to restate my wish list for 7.1:

1. Swap the odometer and range display.

2. Get rid of the toy car as the default and instead display it as a more full featured and easily read app on the side. Takes care of folks who complain that they can't see the brake lights.

3. Restore climate status indicators including fan speed and recirc mode on the climate tab.

I really don't think this is too much to ask. It's fairly straight forward and reasonable.

^^^^This. The toy car provides no useful information.

The A/B trip metres should be restored as well. And also when it's bright out, the new temperature control area just looks black as do the numbers in the power metre. You can't see any of the controls. What might look okay on a computer screen in subdued light just doesn't work in bright light.

I understand that it's cheaper to use interns to do the design work, and it gives them experience as well, but someone who's actually seen the car (and preferably driven in more than once) should vet the designs before putting them out there.

And have you noticed the popups in the nav system just show arrows rather than lanes? I wonder how many folks don't realize that those arrows are supposed to represent lanes. This whole new interface is just a major step backwards.

^^^^This. The toy car provides no useful information.

The A/B trip metres should be restored as well. And also when it's bright out, the new temperature control area just looks black as do the numbers in the power metre. You can't see any of the controls. What might look okay on a computer screen in subdued light just doesn't work in bright light.

I understand that it's cheaper to use interns to do the design work, and it gives them experience as well, but someone who's actually seen the car (and preferably driven in more than once) should vet the designs before putting them out there.

And have you noticed the popups in the nav system just show arrows rather than lanes? I wonder how many folks don't realize that those arrows are supposed to represent lanes. This whole new interface is just a major step backwards.

Disagree. Being able to see when the brake lights come on during regen was a much-requested feature.

As for the 3 arrows in the nav pop ... this is a million times more obvious than the little blue stamp with animated yellow lines that used to randomly pop up.

I like v7. I think it looks modern and it makes v6 look very dated.

Disagree. Being able to see when the brake lights come on during regen was a much-requested feature.

As for the 3 arrows in the nav pop ... this is a million times more obvious than the little blue stamp with animated yellow lines that used to randomly pop up.

^^^^This. The new UI is fine, and an improvement over the old.

as a new MS owner, I like & use the visual of the "toy car" all the time. I had a sub-compact before & appreciate the feedback on my location in the lane & in relation to curbs, islands, etc. the last thing I want to do is scratch or dent my new treasure. I can understand why an experienced MS driver might not need it, but I <3 it!

And I was following this thread before I got my car, mostly from frustration during the wait (mostly), but also to get any tips I could pick up. I was amazed when I saw the shots of the old firmware. Ugh! New design looks great! Of course changes in the positions of stuff in an control system for a moving vehicle are not to be done at a whim, but the new look is a definite upgrade. IMHO of course.

Hi Lucy,

I understand the new V7 in cars built after 9/14, and in those cars, the display makes much more sense, the way lanes are shown, and the extra info from auto pilot, and like the layout when driving newer cars. (tho I wish they had the contrast set for a car rather than a computer monitor for those cars too.)

This thread is for cars that have none of those sensors (or the new tire pressure sensors). Our displays have been changed to the new low contrast design, but not the same display or side apps that you see.

Peter

as a new MS owner, I like & use the visual of the "toy car" all the time. I had a sub-compact before & appreciate the feedback on my location in the lane & in relation to curbs, islands, etc. the last thing I want to do is scratch or dent my new treasure. I can understand why an experienced MS driver might not need it, but I <3 it!

And I was following this thread before I got my car, mostly from frustration during the wait (mostly), but also to get any tips I could pick up. I was amazed when I saw the shots of the old firmware. Ugh! New design looks great! Of course changes in the positions of stuff in an control system for a moving vehicle are not to be done at a whim, but the new look is a definite upgrade. IMHO of course.