Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Approach stop-sign, release the accelerator, regen kicks-in and brake lights come on. No foot on any pedal at this point.
  • Eventually, car's deceleration will be low enough that the brake lights will turn off while still rolling towards intersection
I won't swear to it. but that last statement is NOT what I noticed. The brake lights did NOT turn off once it got slow. It may be I didn't wait long enough, or go slow enough, but with an initial speed of 60 MPH, a quick removal of the foot from the accelerator and the regen would peg around 60 kW, and the brake lamps would illuminate. I let the car slow with my foot off either pedal until the regen power was below 10 kW, speed around 10 MPH and the brake lights were still on at that time. If I then pressed the accelerator they would extinguish. If I stepped on the brake they would remain on until I released the brake pedal, at which time they would extinguish.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that my observations/memory may be in error.

This is not how my car behaves. You might want to check again.

I won't swear to it. but that last statement is NOT what I noticed. The brake lights did NOT turn off once it got slow. It may be I didn't wait long enough, or go slow enough, but with an initial speed of 60 MPH, a quick removal of the foot from the accelerator and the regen would peg around 60 kW, and the brake lamps would illuminate. I let the car slow with my foot off either pedal until the regen power was below 10 kW, speed around 10 MPH and the brake lights were still on at that time. If I then pressed the accelerator they would extinguish. If I stepped on the brake they would remain on until I released the brake pedal, at which time they would extinguish.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that my observations/memory may be in error.

So, we just a road-trip up to Denmark from Belgium - that's about 850kms each way - 6.2 going, 7.0 (.77) coming back, some observations.

I like the look and feel if the new UI, but it is less functional, I now keep my trip meters on the main screen as my default controls tab; the loss of info for the HVAC is just silly.

For us P85's, the low speed throttle response is smooth, but the acceleration feels dead compared to previously - seems to have lost its brutal-ness, which is a bit disappointing

Top speed seems unaffected, I could hit 214kmph before, got 213 with v7, would have made it to 214, but the autobahn was a little busy. It really felt like it took a lot longer to get to that speed too.

Efficiency, at least for motorway driving, looks pretty much the same.

So overall, 7 is a negative for classic Model S, is what I'm getting. Can someone who voted "Very Satisfied" please clearly and succinctly explain your reasoning in relation to:

Loss of displayed functionality (climate tab)

Reduced throttle response

Has anyone measured the throttle response loss in any way?

I am saying this because it is very difficult to measure perceptions.

I very recently measured my car (S85, non AP) performance on 0-100 kph acceleration with three different SOC, and also measured 60-100 kph and 80-120 kph. I recorded it all and uploaded the videos on YouTube (I have a channel in Spanish to upload Model S videos).

Videos:

0-100 kph (0-62 mph) (3 SOC, 3 different results - even if in Spanish, you can read and understand the video, after all there is not much difference between aceleración and acceleration, or between batería and battery...)

60-100 kph (37-62 mph): 2,5 seconds

80-120 kph (50-74 mph): 2,7 seconds

That was all on 6.2. I now plan to do the same on 7.0, and then see what difference there is, if any.

Once I have done it I will upload the videos and share them here, so we can compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, what I have noticed is that regen is much smoother. It kicks in in a smooth way, but still brakes with the same power as before. It is just less abrupt now. I especially notice this when driving at highway speeds with cruise control on, and remove cruise. Before it was too violent. Now it is smooth.

Anyone else has noticed this?

By the way, what I have noticed is that regen is much smoother. It kicks in in a smooth way, but still brakes with the same power as before. It is just less abrupt now. I especially notice this when driving at highway speeds with cruise control on, and remove cruise. Before it was too violent. Now it is smooth.

Anyone else has noticed this?

Yes.... although I think the side effect is that it's typically taking me longer distances to slow down by bit.[1]

On my daily commute there are several places (intersections, stop signs, and speed limit changes) where I have visual cues as to where I disengage cruise control from a set point to come to a stop or slow down for the new zone, and it seems that I'm no longer slowing down quite as much.

Not entirely scientific, but typically very repeatable over 10's or even 100's of cycles previously...

[1] I hadn't mentioned this previously because there have always been claims of regen change after a FW update that seems to be largely perception rather than reality... so I've waited until I had some time to drive/test with 7.0 and test my markers.

Yes.... although I think the side effect is that it's typically taking me longer distances to slow down by bit.[1]

On my daily commute there are several places (intersections, stop signs, and speed limit changes) where I have visual cues as to where I disengage cruise control from a set point to come to a stop or slow down for the new zone, and it seems that I'm no longer slowing down quite as much.

Not entirely scientific, but typically very repeatable over 10's or even 100's of cycles previously...

[1] I hadn't mentioned this previously because there have always been claims of regen change after a FW update that seems to be largely perception rather than reality... so I've waited until I had some time to drive/test with 7.0 and test my markers.

Well, I assume that if it feels smoother it must be because it is less powerful in braking the first meters. And therefore you will need more distance than before to come to a stop.

I seldom drive our BMW X1 - but had to do 180 mile drive today. As I was driving, some things about the UI bugged me, and I was LMAO about our pickiness here. See these two pix:
IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG

1) IC is all out of whack. In the center is time and temperature. Except, 90% of the time at stop, they are not there. The car has engine shutoff at idle, but there are about 5 conditions under which it doesn't work, one of which seems to happen ALL the time. So, whenever you stop, you see the "shutoff off" warning signal where time and temp should be.
2) Below that, there are choices, most useful being remaining range. But the computation is worthless. It is like projected range based on last 5 miles in Tesla's energy app. Interesting, but very difficult to draw conclusions from. Unlike rated range, which I know how to net up or down based upon what remains in my drive.
3) Rather than being front and center, the speedometer is to the left. I'm right-eyed, so lots of good that does me. Plus, the gas gauge is left as well.
4) On the right is a tach, with the ICE equivalent of immediate kW gauge below. A tach? In an automatic transmission car? Waste of space. Sitting in the right eye dominant position. Well, maybe I can switch it to another display? Nope, no options for different apps in the IC!
5) So, I look at the 17" and it's not there, of course. See next pic. Just a bunch of buttons and knobs. Radio/entertainment is series of menus with single strip, single color LED readout. Yikes! I don't use this car enough to remember how to use it. So, I don't.
6) And what's that slot above? For a CD? Honestly, this 2013 car is 6 months NEWER than my Model S!

And, beyond that... any time you turn the driver's wheel, it cuts out much of the IC. Also impossible to adjust for both comfort and full visibility of IC when centered.

To top it off, I will NEVER get a UI change or improvement on this car. NEVER.

Tesla would have to do something much, much worse than swap the energy bar with the ODO to lose my continuing appreciation.

Tesla would have to do something much, much worse than swap the energy bar with the ODO to lose my continuing appreciation.

Any time I get into an ICE, with all those buttons and knobs and huge center consoles, I sort of chuckle as well. Not to mention that if you're lucky enough to have a reverse camera, the display is usually on a 3" diagonal screen and fuzzy like it's been Vaselined.

I seldom drive our BMW X1 - but had to do 180 mile drive today. As I was driving, some things about the UI bugged me, and I was LMAO about our pickiness here.

Yes, but we, the Enlightened, know Tesla can make the UI much, much better - we will wake up one beautiful morning and all our annoyances will have been whisked-away by magic rainbow unicorns during the night.

This is why we grumble: Tesla can, and should, do better; the rest are a lost cause.

Any time I get into an ICE, with all those buttons and knobs and huge center consoles, I sort of chuckle as well. Not to mention that if you're lucky enough to have a reverse camera, the display is usually on a 3" diagonal screen and fuzzy like it's been Vaselined.
Getting off-topic, I know, but the worst example of this is in my Prius, where the top section of the camera view - the most important part, where you can see what's actually out behind you - is obliterated for about 5 seconds with a "Bluetooth connected" banner every time I get in the car and put it in reverse. I have to either forget about the camera and use the mirrors and turn around, or wait for the banner to go away.

Getting off-topic, I know, but the worst example of this is in my Prius, where the top section of the camera view - the most important part, where you can see what's actually out behind you - is obliterated for about 5 seconds with a "Bluetooth connected" banner every time I get in the car and put it in reverse. I have to either forget about the camera and use the mirrors and turn around, or wait for the banner to go away.
Yes, I have that problem whenever I borrow my mother's Town & Country minivan (ugh, I know). Whenever I hop in, I have to wait for everything to boot up and give warning messages. By that time, I have already backed out of my parking space.

Last edited: