Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cluttered? I dunno. Looks like they've got plenty of space to place a couple icons that convey useful info.

View attachment 99593
(apologies for the poor graphics)

Good grief. With that new screen real estate, with the fake button removed, you could put back ALL the information which was previously there, but make all the icons *larger* and *easier to read* than before. Why are they just saying "CUSTOM"? That should just be fixed.

To each their own. I like new stuff. Keeps me sharp. If I got computer software and didn't like UI, I might not use it or might not upgrade. In a car it is a small part of value equation. A factor, but not a deal killer.

V7 certainly wouldn't dissuade me from buying a Tesla particularly if I was a new customer. But I've come to depend on certain UI elements in my existing car and I don't particularly enjoy it when they are taken away. The climate status indicators are a big one to me because I reference them fairly frequently on 6.2. There's a big difference between asking someone who's never before sat in the car and someone who has driven it for 3 years and has relied on certain things being in a certain place.

I'm back to rebooting the touchscreen display daily due to problems with media playback.

Really wish they would open the beta testing to a much larger group - since basic things like media playback or the position of the time and temperature are obviously not getting tested...

Still think they should make two basic changes in their software strategy:

1. Allow all Tesla owners to "opt in" or "opt out" of beta testing
  2. With every software update, always provide the ability to rollback to the last officially supported release

Many companies have shifted to more open "public" beta testing - especially when there are many different combinations of hardware/software, it's very beneficial to have more eyes on the new software, while it is being tested, and while the development team is focused on fixing problems.
This is basic software development protocol these days. Frankly it worries me a lot that Tesla isn't doing this. It indicates a very deep level of management structural failure.

If Tesla had done the above with V7, I suspect we would see a more usable interface today
I agree.

Good grief. With that new screen real estate, with the fake button removed, you could put back ALL the information which was previously there, but make all the icons *larger* and *easier to read* than before. Why are they just saying "CUSTOM"? That should just be fixed.

Because some folk like the new horrible interface. For me, I've stopped showing the car because it's embarrassing. And yes, I like new stuff too, but not when it's a major step backwards.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also been pointed out that the "headlight cloud" is a major distraction -- the last thing you want when driving at night is a large white blob.
If you have a light coloured car, the headlight cloud doesn't even show on the radar. The car is a major distraction at night.

I think Tesla can make the classic crowd happy by eliminating the lane indication and toy car in the middle panel and simply restore the classic speedometer/power meter. Keep the classic "classic", simple as that. Maybe when V7.1 comes, classic cars will be upgraded from v6.2 to 6.3 and stay there as far as UI is concern, only upgrade for bug fixes. I think AP car is the future, so v7.1 can continue to evolve.

While the toy car really provides little useful information, if Tesla is going to do anything for Classic owners - I'd prefer they enable some of the newer features for the Classic cars. They should be able to provide the likely speed limit using the map database - something they do for the AP cars since they can't rely completely on the cameras detecting a speed limit sign. And, they should be able to provide a list of the tire pressures - even if the car can't detect which wheels have the tires, the pressure readings can be very useful, especially when a tire pressure warning happens while at highway speeds.

While the toy car really provides little useful information, if Tesla is going to do anything for Classic owners - I'd prefer they enable some of the newer features for the Classic cars. They should be able to provide the likely speed limit using the map database - something they do for the AP cars since they can't rely completely on the cameras detecting a speed limit sign. And, they should be able to provide a list of the tire pressures - even if the car can't detect which wheels have the tires, the pressure readings can be very useful, especially when a tire pressure warning happens while at highway speeds.

I like your suggestions. I wonder how we can get them to the folks at Tesla ?

Found another annoying V7 item today: the "lights are on" indicator. They moved it way up into the top left corner. An area that's obscured by the steering wheel in my typical driving position. I drove around with my high beams on near dusk and didn't realize until I got flashed by oncoming cars a few times. Must have bumped the stalk at some point.

Took me a while to find where the damn indicator lights had been moved to. I kept looking around my driver's console thinking that my lights weren't on and maybe that's why they were flashing me, but I figured the auto-on would happen shortly. Then I ducked my head down and peered into the corners...ah, there it is.

Bleh, more horrible UI design. The least important stuff gets crammed off into a corner, more important stuff should be closer to the center. Tesla wouldn't stuff auto-pilot info off into a tiny corner of the screen!

The most frustrating part is this isn't new information, there's no real excuse for it. Good UI design has literally decades of published research....

Found another annoying V7 item today: the "lights are on" indicator. They moved it way up into the top left corner. An area that's obscured by the steering wheel in my typical driving position. I drove around with my high beams on near dusk and didn't realize until I got flashed by oncoming cars a few times. Must have bumped the stalk at some point.

Took me a while to find where the damn indicator lights had been moved to. I kept looking around my driver's console thinking that my lights weren't on and maybe that's why they were flashing me, but I figured the auto-on would happen shortly. Then I ducked my head down and peered into the corners...ah, there it is.

Bleh, more horrible UI design. The least important stuff gets crammed off into a corner, more important stuff should be closer to the center. Tesla wouldn't stuff auto-pilot info off into a tiny corner of the screen!

The most frustrating part is this isn't new information, there's no real excuse for it. Good UI design has literally decades of published research....
Don't you have the high beam on auto? I found that feature to be very useful.

Because some folk like the new horrible interface. For me, I've stopped showing the car because it's embarrassing. And yes, I like new stuff too, but not when it's a major step backwards.

I showed my pre-AP v7 car to someone recently who thought it was out of the world. They said the displays were fantastic. You shouldn't be so embarrassed that it prevents you from showing off your car. That's your own judgment getting in the way of progress. Others may not care so much.

I showed my pre-AP v7 car to someone recently who thought it was out of the world. They said the displays were fantastic. You shouldn't be so embarrassed that it prevents you from showing off your car. That's your own judgment getting in the way of progress. Others may not care so much.

The large Tesla display always looks fantastic when compared to what passes for display in an ICE. Removal of information (like the trip metres) means I have to flip between screens, rather than just have the "customers" look at the dash. And when it's bright out (as it often is in Texas) the low contrast text is invisible. This is the numbers around the speedometer and the climate controls.

I'm all for change if it's progress (after all, I purchased a Tesla and have had so many people sit in it that the driver's seat broke a spring). They could have made it really great, but instead there are major deficiencies compared to the older display.

Even though I got shamed for hanging out here with you Classics, I'm gonna stay, if I may?
My new 90D has all of the sensors, but I didn't opt for the autopilot, and that's all that they yammer on and on about on the main v7 thread. I love my MS and want to really drive it!

*slinks back in, crouches in a corner...*