Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be very interesting to read the responses to this post. As I read pages 77-78 of the new 7.0 Owners Manual a) it's not on if Autosteer is engaged b) should not be used in certain conditions such as rain. What I didn't find is if there's another way to turn it off easily other than in the Driver Assistance settings on the 17" screen.

Thanks! I see from the manual:

In addition, Model S may not steer away from an adjacent vehicle, or may unnecessarily apply steering, if:

• Weather conditions (heavy rain, snow, fog,
or extremely hot or cold temperatures)
are interfering with sensor operation.

• Visibility is poor and lane markings are not clearly visible (due to heavy rain, snow,
fog, etc.).

So apparently it's not a bug: it's a feature!

Still curious as to why 2.7.77 hasn't been distributed over the air much yet, if at all (in North America at least). Sounds like most reports of upgrades from .56 to .77 are happening at service centers. Any guesses as to why that is?

Hank may have more data on this, but my guess is that the OTA release schedule doesn't necessarily overlap with the SC release availability. It's not necessarily worth interrupting customers for OTA updates that only have minor tweaks. It might make more sense to aggregate a few maintenance releases into a single OTA package.

Hank may have more data on this, but my guess is that the OTA release schedule doesn't necessarily overlap with the SC release availability. It's not necessarily worth interrupting customers for OTA updates that only have minor tweaks. It might make more sense to aggregate a few maintenance releases into a single OTA package.

I think this probably hits the nail on the head.

When in a service center, they install whatever is currently on the servers. Tesla only pushes updates to cars if needed, so often you'll see a few cars with "in between" versions that got them at the SC. This trick also lets them have limited release for cars in service that don't need as much rigorous validation as the packages in wide release.

It's a lot more work if they push every little point release, so they don't bother until there is enough of a reason to do it. If there's no hurry, they apparently also like to stagger the new packages to groups of cars instead of the whole fleet all at once, that way if there are any rollout bugs, they can halt the update before it affects too many vehicles.

Still curious as to why 2.7.77 hasn't been distributed over the air much yet, if at all (in North America at least). Sounds like most reports of upgrades from .56 to .77 are happening at service centers. Any guesses as to why that is?

IMHO, Tesla won't release minor updates OTA... e.g. I doubt we know for sure if Tesla for example has to pay for data plans or if they are in fact unlimited in the way they have negotiated them (so is there an incremental cost to Tesla some way if they push out code to ~100K vehicles via 3G/LTE if it's not "that" important?), but regardless, if I were still involved with distributing software like I was in the old days, we never sent everything to everyone as it became available internally. We made smaller updates available to customers that had high priority problems needing immediate resolution when we had those fixes available, but our labs held them and batched them together with other changes into larger drops of code that went through more rigorous testing and then eventually was released to everyone. I can see that Tesla SCs would perhaps install smaller minor code drops using their infrastructure -- there is little potential cost to Tesla in doing that, and they get a few more vehicles really doing in-the-field live validation of the code that they've tested, but beyond some of us always wanting the latest and greatest, I'm fine with waiting for the next bundle of code to come my way.

IMHO, Tesla won't release minor updates OTA... e.g. I doubt we know for sure if Tesla for example has to pay for data plans or if they are in fact unlimited in the way they have negotiated them (so is there an incremental cost to Tesla some way if they push out code to ~100K vehicles via 3G/LTE if it's not "that" important?), but regardless, if I were still involved with distributing software like I was in the old days, we never sent everything to everyone as it became available internally. We made smaller updates available to customers that had high priority problems needing immediate resolution when we had those fixes available, but our labs held them and batched them together with other changes into larger drops of code that went through more rigorous testing and then eventually was released to everyone. I can see that Tesla SCs would perhaps install smaller minor code drops using their infrastructure -- there is little potential cost to Tesla in doing that, and they get a few more vehicles really doing in-the-field live validation of the code that they've tested, but beyond some of us always wanting the latest and greatest, I'm fine with waiting for the next bundle of code to come my way.

All this makes sense - but I want my time & temp readings back in the IC! That may sound minor but I am tired having to take two screenshots of both screens every time I take a trip to log energy consumption, speed, environmental conditions, etc. I guess I'll just ask the SC to load .77 when I go in this weekend to change tires.

My new 85D, which I just picked up this morning, has .77 with time and temp both on the dash.

Yeah yeah, rub it in... :biggrin:

Congrats on your new 85D! Mind if I ask why not 90D?

I started off thinking a 70D would do everything I need. My main range concern involves skiing, and Tesla just opened a Supercharger right on the way home from the mountain (in my S85, the round trip was certainly do-able, but I like to do things like pre-warm the cabin on my last run). The 70D would have been able to do it, barely, even if the Supercharger was out of service. With the Supercharger, the 70D does it easily.

In the end, I chickened out on the 70D, even though it would probably have done everything I wanted, and I went with the 85D. I thought about pushing all the way to the 90, but given that the 85D was probably overkill as it was, I just decided to stop there.

All this makes sense - but I want my time & temp readings back in the IC! That may sound minor but I am tired having to take two screenshots of both screens every time I take a trip to log energy consumption, speed, environmental conditions, etc. I guess I'll just ask the SC to load .77 when I go in this weekend to change tires.

Yeah yeah, rub it in... :biggrin:

Congrats on your new 85D! Mind if I ask why not 90D?

Fyi, "Hold" can still activate even with Autosteer engaged. Wish I could tell you the circumstances on how it triggered, but it's a loaner so I've only been on AP for a grand total of 2 hours.

4oPumIE.jpg

When traffic cleared, I got the prompt to press the accelerator to get going.

Fyi, "Hold" can still activate even with Autosteer engaged. Wish I could tell you the circumstances on how it triggered, but it's a loaner so I've only been on AP for a grand total of 2 hours.

4oPumIE.jpg

When traffic cleared, I got the prompt to press the accelerator to get going.

Could be this based on that blue car in front of yours (page 67 of the 7.0 manual).

"When following a vehicle, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control remains active at low speeds, even if Model S comes to a standstill while following a vehicle. When traffic is moving again, Traffic- Aware Cruise Control resumes operating at your currently set speed. However, if a pedestrian or object is detected in front of Model S, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control goes into a HOLD state and the instrument panel displays a message indicating that you need to resume cruise control. To resume, press the accelerator pedal or pull the cruise control lever toward you (see Canceling and Resuming on page 69)."

I think you're right and when I've been in that situation the car just started moving on its own once the car in front moved. I don't think I've seen or noticed that "HOLD" message before. Could be it falsely saw a person or other object in your path or maybe Tesla saved a tiny person or dogs life without you knowing it. [emoji1]

Last edited: