Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one big problem with this new setup, though, is that we're re-engaging a previously set speed that we can no longer see accurately. We have to guess at what that speed was, based on that tiny, numberless speedometer. That's just wrong.

Actually the previously set speed does get indicated with a number under the speedometer icon. If TACC (or Autosteer) was previous engaged, disengaging it/them turns the speedometer icon from blue to white, but keeps the number that represents the previously-set TACC speed indicated below the icon. Here's a snapshot of such an example:

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 10.27.38 AM.png

Actually the previously set speed does get indicated with a number under the speedometer icon. If TACC (or Autosteer) was previous engaged, disengaging it/them turns the speedometer icon from blue to white, but keeps the number that represents the previously-set TACC speed indicated below the icon. Here's a snapshot of such an example:

View attachment 98591

Thanks for the correction!

My wife drives the car a lot more than I do, and I was writing from my (apparently shoddy) memory.

I appreciate being corrected! I'll edit my post now, but in such a way that doesn't affect your correction of it.

Thanks!

Got the update on Thursday. I have been playing around with the AP and it seems to be doing well Its better when it has a route and destination on the GPS. What I also found was that my range decreased from 272 to 230 miles. This is on 80% charge or whatever that mark represents. Is this normal/expected with this update?
Thanks
Jas

Got the update on Thursday. I have been playing around with the AP and it seems to be doing well Its better when it has a route and destination on the GPS. What I also found was that my range decreased from 272 to 230 miles. This is on 80% charge or whatever that mark represents. Is this normal/expected with this update?
Thanks
Jas

There is not any substantial range difference with the new update. Is it possible you switched from seeing your range displayed in "Ideal miles" to seeing it displayed in "Rated miles?" I think that is the most likely reason for the change you are seeing, and probably on a 90% charge.

Last edited:
Thanks
Jas

272 miles @ 80% means you have a 340RM Tesla. Tesla doesn't make a car that has more than 300 miles.

The simple solution for stalk selection logic is for a long-pull to always set the current detected speed and a short-pull to always set the prior speed, or current speed if no such prior speed is available. So a long-pull followed by a short pull (even if using TACC/AP previously on this drive) would (1) engage TACC at the current detected speed and (2) engage Autosteer. It is sad that the long-pull behavior is modal in that, if no previous speed is set, a long-pull sets the current detected speed (plus/minus offset), but a long-pull when there is a previously set speed will reengage the previous speed.

I tried some of the suggestions here for setting TACC + autosteer. These are the results I got when TACC and AP were off, AP was available and a previous TACC speed had been set.

1) Short pull twice - activates autosteer and sets TACC to previous speed.
2) Long pull + short pull - activates autosteer and sets TACC to previous speed(?!).
3) Short pull + long pull - activates autosteer and sets TACC inconsistently. Sometimes it reverts to the previous speed, sometimes it chooses the speed limit + offset, and a couple times it seemed to choose my current speed. I have no idea why it's not consistent.

Bottom line: It seems like the only way to consistently get it to match the current speed is to set TACC first then pull back twice for AP.

3) Short pull + long pull - activates autosteer and sets TACC inconsistently. Sometimes it reverts to the previous speed, sometimes it chooses the speed limit + offset, and a couple times it seemed to choose my current speed. I have no idea why it's not consistent.
Hmm, I'll have to try this more often, but my experience so far has been that the short + long pull will set Autopilot and set the TACC to posted speed plus offset. Will play with it some more to see if I can replicate your inconsistent behaviour.

LEFT TURN BAYS

While I've been quite happy with the Autopilot behaviour so far, I did find a situation today that will scare the pants off you if you aren't prepared! Keep in mind, I've been pushing the envelope to observe the behaviour and have been doing so with close attention and hands firmly on the wheel, so I don't think the danger level is high. Anyway, I found a few places on the highway today (not divided) where a left turn bay was introduced quickly, centered on the road centerline. So the yellow line does a quick dart a half lane width to the left and a short dashed weave section comes out a half lane to the right. The fog line parallels this. I think the centered orientation and lack of cross-hatched paint on the approach is the cause of the problem.

What I found was a tendency for Autopilot to attempt to follow the yellow line into the turning bay. At highway speed, this is manifested by a *very* quick swerve to the left. I pulled back to the right almost instantly, disengaging Autopilot, so I don't know if it would recognize the error or continue down the turn bay and into the hatched yellow past the turn off point. If there was another turning bay on the far side, turning across my lane, I suppose it's possible I could have nailed a vehicle over there, if TACC didn't panic and hit the brakes, or Autopilot reverse the swerve. At highway speed, I don't think I could have stopped in that short distance. I replicated this tendency three times at three different left turn bays. It was so quick, if you weren't prepared you'd be hard-pressed to recover (if the car didn't swerve back on its own).

It's been made clear in the documentation that Autopilot is really intended for divided highway use, so I have no problem accepting that my circumstances on a regular highway aren't within the acceptable use conditions. However, you know people are going to use it where they shouldn't! So I wonder how the crowd-sourcing I've been hearing about actually works. Hopefully the car pays attention to quick driver interventions and relays the circumstances to the mother ship. It would be nice if that information would then be given to other cars the heads-up to not repeat the error as they travel the route, but maybe that's asking for more than is reasonably possible at this time.

v7extraspace_correct.jpg

Here is a good representation of how much space the 17 inch screen gained by removing the faux-chrome borders around each window. The fun James Bond webpage was designed to perfectly fill the (previous) browser. Now there is about an inch of extra space on the bottom, and about 1/3in on the side. Nice! Makes a big difference to my eye, especially for the Nav window.

I finally got a chance to try 7.0 yesterday. I was traveling when the update was pushed, so while my car got it almost immediately, I couldn't apply it or try it until I got home yesterday afternoon. I have a plain 85 delivered in February with autopilot.

I was prepared to hate the new UI based on the posts here. I couldn't come up with an opinion of my own based on screenshots and videos, but I was prepared to dislike it. After using it myself, I think it's great. I would like a larger and more readable analog speedometer than the tiny little thing they give us, but aside from that I have no complaints. I was prepared to mourn the loss of the power meter, but after driving without it for a bit, I'm glad it's gone. I used to pay attention to it quite a lot, but now I see that it's completely unnecessary for me, and not having it there to distract me is better. I just push the pedal as I want to now, and don't worry about it. Note that I do NOT intend to disparage those who want it back, or try to invalidate that desire in any way, just saying that for ME personally this is a welcome change. I sympathize if you do want it, and I think it would be great if this were customizable.

The improved responsiveness of the whole UI system really impressed me. Slow UI was always the biggest problem in my eyes with Tesla's fancy iOS-like touchscreen. It looked good, but it felt mediocre because scrolling was jerky, touches took a while to do anything, and the whole thing was just a bit slow. I accepted it because I thought that was just how things had to be with the hardware, but it wasn't the best. Well, no more! Things are fast! OK, it doesn't achieve 60fps everywhere all the time, but scrolling is by and large smooth, and stuff happens more quickly. Clearly software optimization took them a long way here, and it's wonderful.

The autopilot graphics are really cool. I thought it would be kind of dumb based on the screenshots, because the whole business of displaying other lanes and the car front in a graphical fashion just seems gimmicky. Well, I'm wrong, because I completely misunderstood the nature of these graphics. I thought they were static graphics just meant to look cool. But no, they are fully dynamic graphics giving you a full picture of what the car sees at a glance. The graphic of the car in front moves around exactly as the actual car does, the lanes curve as the car thinks they curve, the adjacent lanes show or hide depending on whether the car thinks they're there, etc., and it's all completely fluid. Awesome! It makes it really obvious how the autopilot software is performing at any given moment, and if there's trouble it makes it clear as to why. Brief aside: I think it's hilarious how every car it detects is represented as another Model S.

And how about autopilot? Holy crap, it's scary and awesome and scary awesome. It takes me back to my first experience with TACC in heavy traffic (on my way home from delivery!), totally nervous, hovering over the brakes while the car stopped itself, etc. It will definitely take some practice with it before it becomes a net positive, but I can see that it definitely will be. I tried it out on lots of different kinds of roads (against the instructions in the manual, I know) and as others have said, it's pretty much perfect on big highways and fairly iffy on smaller roads, but this is to be expected and is not a complaint. Letting go of the steering wheel at 60+MPH is frightening, but that's just because I'm new to the system. All in all, Tesla did an amazing job on this and I can't wait to try it out more. I'm already thinking of excuses to drive to places farther away.

I tried auto-park a few times but couldn't get it to work. The curbs in my neighborhood are pretty low and slanted (when I parallel park here, I just go in forwards, drive the front wheel up onto the sidewalk to get the back end in, then straighten it out) and I'm guessing the ultrasonics can't pick it up well. Parallel parking is not a big part of my life so I probably won't use this much anyway, but it will be fun to try it once I encounter a situation where it's useful.

The new hold feature is a small thing but really nice. I used to engage TACC at stop lights just so I didn't have to hold the brake. Now it works without that, and works if I'm the first car in line too. Sweet!

There's been some discussion of the supposed performance improvements for RWD cars. Feels real to me! It could just be the contrast with the crappy cars I was riding in while on my trip for a few weeks, but my car feels even faster than before. I hit the accelerator pretty hard at 60+MPH this morning and it felt faster than flooring it with 6.2, even though I only pushed it halfway down. Probably just my imagination, but I'll go with it.

Oh, and three cheers for the new tire pressure display. It was pretty ridiculous that the car had this info but wouldn't show it to us. It's great to have it now. Quick question while I'm at it: is there any way to show this info on the touchscreen? I don't need to see it constantly on the instrument panel, and switching apps with the scroll wheel is a bit cumbersome.

That's everything I can think of. All in all I'm tremendously pleased and I think it was worth the wait. I would have preferred it if they had delivered it more along their original "few months" schedule, but better late than never!

Thanks, mikeash, for the detailed writeup.

I'm in a classic MS with 7.0, so we retained the energy meter. I will tell you that they've made it very, very easy to feather the pedal and stay around 0. This was the main reason I was worried about the loss of the energy meter; for range purposes I will often try to stay in that range even it if means increased speed downhill, etc. Since the pedal "sweet spot" range is seemingly much larger with the same result, I don't find it nearly as important.

You can test this by pulling up the energy app, and see if your experience is the same.

... I would like a larger and more readable analog speedometer than the tiny little thing they give us, but aside from that I have no complaints. I was prepared to mourn the loss of the power meter, but after driving without it for a bit, I'm glad it's gone. I used to pay attention to it quite a lot, but now I see that it's completely unnecessary for me, and not having it there to distract me is better. ...
I doubt that Tesla intends the cruise control indicator to be really used as a speedometer.

In case you haven't yet discovered it: the instrument panel Energy app has a power meter of sorts on its right border.

LEFT TURN BAYS
<Snip>
What I found was a tendency for Autopilot to attempt to follow the yellow line into the turning bay.
<Snip>
It would be nice if that information would then be given to other cars the heads-up to not repeat the error as they travel the route, but maybe that's asking for more than is reasonably possible at this time.

It would be great if you could take a few minutes to write this up and send it to [email protected]. The more reports like this Tesla gets, the quicker they'll be able to improve the software.

It would be great if you could take a few minutes to write this up and send it to [email protected]. The more reports like this Tesla gets, the quicker they'll be able to improve the software.
I was actually thinking exactly that this morning... and I have to drive the same route today. So I'll stop to take a photo of the road and include that with the email. :smile:

Hello again,

Had a few more drives with the car today. Over 90 km of autopilot use in 2 trips. Mostly highways (40 west around Montreal) and a bit of little town road. Markings were perfect on the roads. The software performed flawlessly. Really happy with it.

i tried Autopark yesterday and works great. Need to use it more to figure out how to set it up quickly in case of traffic so I don't hold up people while I park.

good night.

bertrand

Excellent! I'm sure that will wind up helping Tesla improve the software for everyone. Thanks!
Heading eastbound at these locations (switching to street view will give you visuals from the road), which is generally down on the map in these views exhibited the 'swerve into the turn lane' behavior.

Google Maps At this location I was able to give the car free rein to see what it would do, since there was no traffic behind me or approaching. I approached at 95 km/h and it immediately swerved across the left turn bay and into the oncoming lane. As it did so, I got the angry 'brap-brap' warning that I've learned signals imminent death and destruction... :cool: I corrected and got back into my lane.

Same swerve here, but I didn't let it get very far at all before disengaging the autopilot via the steering wheel: Google Maps

Same swerve at this location, but this time I turned around to try it again (actually this was the first test I did, just mentioning it last). I waited for a break in traffic and approached the second time at about 50 km/h, expecting to do the swerve in slow motion. Except - nothing. I went right on by without any attempt to steer into the left turn bay. I don't know if that's because I corrected it the time previous and it learned, or the lower speed made a difference to how it computed the problem. This was spot, again heading 'down' the screen: Google Maps

Now clearly, these spots were NOT on divided highways and I'm fully aware that this is not what Tesla intends (yet). However, there are similar intersections that don't seem to trigger the same response and I wonder why. This is about improving the software, not beating it down!

SELF PARK

I got the first offer to try the parallel parking today. Unfortunately, it was at the pick up window of a Tim Horton's drive thru... :rolleyes: I think the order/menu board was interpreted as a car, the space between it and the building as a parking spot, and the building as another car. However, the curb was right beside me so I'm not sure why it though I could park there. Nevertheless the 'P' appeared on the left side of the main display. I didn't try engaging reverse to see if it offered the park button! :biggrin:

Heh... I bought my HP 15C in '83 for what seemed like a crazy amount of money. It's still on my desk and gets used virtually every day. Using a calculator that *isn't* RPN requires careful attention to the process! If Tesla can make cars to last the way HP built their calculators, we're in very good shape.

- - - Updated - - -

I recall the change in elementary school and it seemed fine at the time. But I'm still thinking in terms of both. And we're stuck to do home improvements in feet and inches because the architects and building trades never did make the jump. The fact that a 2x4 is actually 1-5/8x3-5/8 finished (the only kind we ever use) is another story. We should have just finished the pain completely. And the US should have done so too. As Ohmman noted, they're perhaps even more messed up since some professions do use SI and have to work more interchangeably than we do. SI is everywhere and resistance should be futile.

kPa and Bar are really the same units in reality, just a few factors of 10 apart. If they added another significant figure, I'd be OK with Bars, but still prefer kPa (or just psi and be done with it).
I'm the crossover generation. We started conversion while I was in elementary school. I prefer metric, base 10. You start confusing me when you start subdividing inches.

I guess I'm like most Canadians. Switch systems depending on context. I was talking to my dr. the other day and was talking about my weight in both lbs and kg. Imperial temperature confuses me.

On a different not, apparently 7.0 in Europe is going to be released Friday, Tesla time.
elon-2.jpg

Last edited: