Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally find the occasional complaints about UI so interesting... I spent some time years ago working with a part of our company where we had physical labs where real people (not employees, and not always existing owners/users of our products) were invited in to try out new hardware/software interface concepts, and our people recorded how long it took them to do actions between various versions, what steps the users went through to get the task completed, even where points of confusion seemed to occur. A lot came down to our developers trying to balance the size, location and visual representations, as well as introducing ways to physically interact with, or access new capabilities that had not existed before -- BUT, as I seem to remember, some not-so-small number of users that were firmly set doing things from a previous or competitive solution, were generally slower at first using the new interfaces, and many times gave more negative initial comments than others -- some bringing up good points because of their greater experience, others perhaps more of an opinion not representing a majority that included potentially new users that had not yet purchased or used our products before... My point being, UI will never please 100% of past, present and future users. A mfgr has to try and strike a balance between all users and providing access to new capabilities as well.

One of the things I consciously had on my +/- comparative spreadsheet before deciding to order my MS on Sept 1, was that part of the Tesla ownership experience was my car would receive OTA updates for hopefully as long as I own it, providing new or tweaked functionality I would likely desire most of the time, but may also not always be exactly to my liking. I knew I would be accepting some possible bad with the good, and not be able to necessarily cherry pick the piece parts or a particular update when it was delivered. If I wanted to settle on a static UI look and feel, and know that my vehicle would act exactly the same for as long as I owned it, I would have prioritized another traditional vehicle from a different mfgr over my Tesla, where UI and capabilities are nearly static for the life of each model generation and several model years. I don't like everything with the V7.0 UI, but for the most part, I'm pleased with what Tesla has delivered and see it as a positive move forward, especially as more of my AutoPilot capabilities are being enabled. Some tweaks will surely be provided as time progresses.

For me, expressing comments, opinions, and possible refinements are fine from everyone, as are those from the (few?) owners that seem to have a repeated viral objection to V7.0 in these threads and want to hang on to perhaps a more static past. That's A-OK too. We fortunately can each make our own choices, and live with our decisions for the good and bad of them. While I'm OK with most change, I only hope Tesla continues to evolve like they appear to have in the past, not
revolutionize (like V7.0), significant overhauls to key sections (like speed and safety) of the UI very often. IMHO, the major parts of automobile UI are something a driver has to adapt to, then allow it to just become part of the way we almost subconsciously interact with our vehicles. I don't want to have to relearn and start over too often like V7.0 is in some ways, unless there is good reason (like I see having been necessary to convey much more data to the driver with AutoPilot). That's my 2-cents for the good and bad of it. Let the flames continue. ;)

The update was pushed to me via 3G on Friday while I was out of town. After returning from the airport late Saturday I initiated the update and had my first experience with it yesterday morning. Our car was delivered in 2012 so it's definitely one of the more hardware limited vehicles and I'm obviously not seeing any of the AP-related displays. My take? The negative reactions I'd seen leading up to the release have a foundation in reality, but I'm not particularly bent out of shape by the changes. I think the flat look is fine. I miss the time / temperature on the instrument cluster and hope Tesla reconsiders but neither is core to my driving experience. Some details of the display are a little low contrast and again I suspect there might be tweaks over time.

There are a lot of things I do like about the release. I like the automatic trip counters a great deal. I found the climate conditioning improvements to be immediately noticeable and a clear improvement. I think the "toy" image giving a clear indication of when brake lights come on will help new owners get used to what the car is doing for them. Lastly, overall I think the slightly less cluttered look is not a bad thing – at least by default. Giving some options to add back additional information wouldn't go amiss.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but, any idea why in random situations while on full AP it will suddenly decelerate? I mean not actually braking like emergency brakes, but almost as if it sees a slow moving car. This has happened at least twice. The last was just on Saturday evening. I had just engaged AP about 5 seconds earlier, no "Hold the steering wheel" messages, no cars in front of me or any objects, clear lane markings, cruise control was set as appropriate, etc. It just randomly started slowing down. It felt like just regen braking, not manual brakes, but I had no idea why. I had to manually speed it back up and re-engage the cruise control. :confused:

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but, any idea why in random situations while on full AP it will suddenly decelerate? I mean not actually braking like emergency brakes, but almost as if it sees a slow moving car. This has happened at least twice. The last was just on Saturday evening. I had just engaged AP about 5 seconds earlier, no "Hold the steering wheel" messages, no cars in front of me or any objects, clear lane markings, cruise control was set as appropriate, etc. It just randomly started slowing down. It felt like just regen braking, not manual brakes, but I had no idea why. I had to manually speed it back up and re-engage the cruise control. :confused:

The times I have experienced this with TACC there has been at least one of: a sharp rise, a strong shadow across the road, or a parked car ahead. I've only ever gotten it on city streets but that may just be dumb luck.

Also note that some have reported AP in their cars slowing down for curves. Could you have been coming up to a curve when you experience this?

Also note that some have reported AP in their cars slowing down for curves. Could you have been coming up to a curve when you experience this?

Ah, thanks. I had not noticed those reports but I did notice my car doing that yesterday when in the past it hadn't. It's a welcome improvement. I'll have to pay more attention to whether it does it even when autosteer isn't engaged, although I think it wasn't yesterday.

I've put about 700 km of highway driving on the odometer since version 7 installed. I'm generally positive about the improvements, but do miss a few things and believe others can be improved (easily).

Positives:

1. Autopilot works better than I expected. But clearly, the realistic limitations must be respected. In the flurry of testing by enthusiastic drivers, there seems to be way too much 'pushing the envelope' going on. I include myself in that statement!
  2. Autopilot does a good job of centering in the lane.
  3. Autopilot 'sees' much better than I would have believed. I drove for quite a distance in the dark, in the rain, with oncoming headlights and faded paint lines. Autopilot was more 'pinball-ish' in those conditions, but it was able to see better than I could. I eventually dropped the cruise control down from about 115 to 105 because *I* was not confident I could drive safely if the Autopilot gave up and handed the controls back to me! It was managing to drive faster than I felt I could myself. I won't comment on whether that was safe or not, because clearly, assessing driving conditions is my job! But it gave me confidence that it can handle harsher conditions better than I would have believed.
  4. Lane changes work well, as long as you don't release the turn signal too soon...
  5. Nice to see tire pressure information.

Negatives:
  1. In a nutshell... *INFORMATION*. The interface has been dummied down to the point that I'm forced to look through screens to find what I want. Why isn't the odometer always visible? Why can't I have the date and time displayed as before? How much power am I really using or generating? Perhaps an 'advanced mode' is required, that adds extra data... the power numerical value inside the power meter for instance. It felt like the Apple "don't worry about the details, you're too stupid to understand them" approach to an OS.
  2. Maybe some Europeans can comment on this one... tire pressure in 'bars' when in metric units??? Who uses bars? Perhaps kPa if in metric, but bars?? There should be a unit toggle to allow the pressure to be displayed in the units of our choice, rather than tied to the km vs. miles setting. Maybe it's just the Canadian metric system being different than other metric countries, but 'bars' feels like someone just got out a unit conversion calculator and randomly picked a pressure unit. Why not mm of Hg?? :rolleyes: I haven't looked to see if the tires are marked with bars, but it just feels like a user-unfriendly unit, with only one decimal place (1.5 psi resolution).
  3. The ability of the camera to resolve speed signs seems worse than before. As well, the speed limit data I assumed was GPS-supplied seems to be more incorrect than before. Example I saw was the Coquihalla highway between Hope and Kamloops. Marked 120 km/h earlier this year, up from 110 km/h. Version 6.2 *never* read the 120 signs and always defaulted to the older 110 limit (from the database I assume). This trip it decided the limit was 100. Huh? Where did that come from?? I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my camera, although it seems to integrate well with the radar for Autopilot.
  4. 3G connectivity issues have not been solved... :crying:
  5. Introducing a truck climbing lane on the right of the two main lanes on my side of the median was sketchy. The fog line diverges and the car attempts to center in the wider lane. Then the dashed line appears and the car realizes it's going to straddle the line... and bounces back to the left into the middle lane. I suppose it might think there is an exit associated with the right lane, which makes the final position reasonable. But the law of 'keep right except to pass' means you have to manually move it over (with the turn signal or by taking control).
  6. I'm not thrilled by how little steering input is needed to disengage Autopilot. If you're a little nervous about the alignment it's decided to take next to a wide load and nudge the steering over a little, you're suddenly fully in control again. I didn't always realize this was going to happen and it was a bit of a surprise.
  7. I found my shoulders got tired, trying to keep my hands resting *lightly* on the wheel to prevent an accidental disengagement.
  8. I lost my 3G towards the end of the trip. Not sure if it was related, but the warning tone for the Autopilot wanting to know I was still there seemed to disappear with it. Just screen prompts, no sound. I didn't like that very much... had it tripped out without me seeing the dash warning, I could have found myself in the weeds.

I think the biggest improvement (for me at least) would be to have the Autopilot allow driver input without disengaging. I'd like to be able to move a little wider as I go past the wide load trailer. I want to be able to realign to miss a pothole or chunk of blown out truck tire.... and have Autopilot move back into the center of the lane when I ease up the pressure on the steering wheel. A little like accelerating with the cruise on doesn't disengage the cruise.

All in all, I'm positive about the technology and I recognize it's still 'beta'. A very solid beta though, in my opinion. My concerns can be fixed I think, so they aren't failures or reason to toss out the technology. The biggest danger to the development of the software is the mental inadequacy of the average driver - you KNOW someone is going to do something stupid and then blame Tesla and Autopilot. I really hope this doesn't start a legal nightmare, because frankly, I'm not convinced the masses are smart enough to jump to this technology.

Last edited:
[*]Maybe some Europeans can comment on this one... tire pressure in 'bars' when in metric units??? Who uses bars? Perhaps kPa if in metric, but bars?? There should be a unit toggle to allow the pressure to be displayed in the units of our choice, rather than tied to the km vs. miles setting. Maybe it's just the Canadian metric system being different than other metric countries, but 'bars' feels like someone just got out a unit conversion calculator and randomly picked a pressure unit. Why not mm of Hg?? :rolleyes: I haven't looked to see if the tires are marked with bars, but it just feels like a user-unfriendly unit, with only one decimal place (1.5 psi resolution).

FWIW divers everywhere other than North America seem to use bar to measure their air pressure. We use psi of course.

[*]I'm not thrilled by how little steering input is needed to disengage Autopilot. If you're a little nervous about the alignment it's decided to take next to a wide load and nudge the steering over a little, you're suddenly fully in control again. I didn't always realize this was going to happen and it was a bit of a surprise.
[*]I found my shoulders got tired, trying to keep my hands resting *lightly* on the wheel to prevent an accidental disengagement.

Yeah. In principle, autosteer ought to reduce stress on long drives. In practice, on my short drives with it I've had the same experience you have with my shoulders getting tired, so markedly increasing stress. I'm hoping that as I get used to it I'll stop spending the constant effort to partly-support my hands. What is the experience of others who have gone on long drives with it? Do you find you can put the full weight of your hands into the steering wheel without accidentally disengaging autosteer? Or do you just take your hands off the wheel? Or arrive with quivering shoulder muscles?

FWIW divers everywhere other than North America seem to use bar to measure their air pressure. We use psi of course.
In reality, we use psi as well. I can't recall being given the option of a tire pressure gauge calibrated in bars at the local car parts store. Looking at gauges on Amazon, I see they're typically psi only, psi/kPa, or psi/bar/kPa. I'd personally be happy just having pressure show up in psi all the time, rather than locked to the distance unit!

The times I have experienced this with TACC there has been at least one of: a sharp rise, a strong shadow across the road, or a parked car ahead. I've only ever gotten it on city streets but that may just be dumb luck.

I had never experienced this before with just TACC. So that is why it was rather bizarre. I mean I do think there was some shadows across the road at one point, but I drive across many shadows and it has only done it twice.

Nope, no curves in either instance. A big straightaway. The first time it was kind of bizarre, I thought perhaps I accidentally pressed down on the cruise stalk (to reduce the cruise control speed), or just thought it was a fluke. The second time I really tried to take a mental picture of the environment and circumstances, and I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Hmm, its a strange one. The next time it happens I'll try to gather even more information.