Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was weird. Last night I applied 2.28.60 and never got the notification the update was complete. I walk up to the car and it doesn't power up and start running the a/c like normal. I get in the car and it takes an extended period of time for the instrument cluster to come on, but the 17" never does. No a/c, the contactors close a few seconds later, no music. I hit the brake and the lights turn on (I was still in the garage), but then after two seconds that car goes back to "Car off". Repeat, same result. All the while the 17" doesn't boot up. I get up, walk away, come back 30 seconds later and try again. This time the car stays "on", but otherwise no change. I try rebooting and finally the 17" comes to live and my phone gets a notification that the software update was complete. Weird.

• Funny
Reactions: jmsurpri
Today was weird. Last night I applied 2.28.60 and never got the notification the update was complete. I walk up to the car and it doesn't power up and start running the a/c like normal. I get in the car and it takes an extended period of time for the instrument cluster to come on, but the 17" never does. No a/c, the contactors close a few seconds later, no music. I hit the brake and the lights turn on (I was still in the garage), but then after two seconds that car goes back to "Car off". Repeat, same result. All the while the 17" doesn't boot up. I get up, walk away, come back 30 seconds later and try again. This time the car stays "on", but otherwise no change. I try rebooting and finally the 17" comes to live and my phone gets a notification that the software update was complete. Weird.
That is weird. Is it possible that the installation was interrupted for some reason and was actually installing while you trouble shooting?

That is weird. Is it possible that the installation was interrupted for some reason and was actually installing while you trouble shooting?

I was in the car about 10+ hours after installation started. Maybe, but when I asked Tesla, they said...
Thank you for your note. I looked in to your vehicle remotely and it shows the firmware completed successfully about 13 hours ago with no alerts present. Sounds like the car required an extended boot-up directly following the new firmware. I do not see any reason for concern at this time.

So I'm just not going to worry about it unless I see any other weird behavior.

The other day I experimented using AP (2.28.19) on an interstate in a very heavy rain, both hands solidly on the wheel. AP started to weave from side to side within the lane in a serpentine fashion. I disengaged AP because I didn't want to scare other nearby drivers in these poor conditions. The last time I tried in a similar downpour was way back in version 7.0, and the car tracked perfectly straight. Thus I can't peg this behavior on 2.28.19 specifically.
You realize that every cruise control system ever made, including autopilot, specifically days not to use it in those conditions right?

I was a bit astonished with the graphic one of Tesla's Execs released after the accident a few weeks ago showing how much more accurate AP is keeping to the center of the lane than real drivers are -- that may be my experience on the wide open road that perhaps has more miles traveled by the aggregate fleet, but it isn't with the surface examples I cited, or when I have big rigs to my immediate left or right on the freeway, when it seems like my MS tracks too close to it than I want to be (let alone if a motorcycle were to come between as has happened at least once -- freaking me out.) It's all perception how AP is working for each of us, but that's mine FWIW which just reinforces AP is Beta Software and will likely always be so on my AP V1 MS..
I think that chart needs to be taken with a heavy gain of salt, I'm pretty sure it was measured by the car, not a neutral third party. As such, if the car thinks it's centred in the lane, that's all that matters, not the actual position of the vehicle.

Reactions: gpetti
You realize that every cruise control system ever made, including autopilot, specifically days not to use it in those conditions right?
Of course! I want to extract all the entertainment value I can out of this toy -- er, I mean driver assistance system -- so I try controlled tests under conditions that I believe are marginal for the system. The giveaway is that I had both hands solidly on the wheel. I would never do that if conditions were such that the system should handle them easily.;)

Another data point: Haven't been given an update since 2.28.19. Stopped by a pharmacy near the service center today for 10 minutes. Did not connect to wifi, and an hour later, saw an update notification. Applied in 17 minutes.

EDIT: It's 2.28.75. Updated EV-FW

Last edited:
The other day I experimented using AP (2.28.19) on an interstate in a very heavy rain, both hands solidly on the wheel. AP started to weave from side to side within the lane in a serpentine fashion. I disengaged AP because I didn't want to scare other nearby drivers in these poor conditions. The last time I tried in a similar downpour was way back in version 7.0, and the car tracked perfectly straight. Thus I can't peg this behavior on 2.28.19 specifically.

I've used autopilot fairly recently (2.28.19) in very heavy rain (under a thunderstorm) at about 60 mph (any faster and I wouldn't have been able to see very well). No cars within about 100 feet of me, and both hands firmly on the wheel.

When I tried it, I was actually amazed. It drove almost as well as it normally does.

Same experience! I think i can only see 15 ft in front of me... but the autopilot drove like it was normal..

The radar clearly picked out all the cars and some how still manage see the lanes.. Whats interesting is though, once i disengage the autopilot, it won't allow me to turn it back on.. but while it was on.. i got to say, it can see than i could.

• Informative
Reactions: ldgrmnmc
I've used autopilot fairly recently (2.28.19) in very heavy rain (under a thunderstorm) at about 60 mph (any faster and I wouldn't have been able to see very well). No cars within about 100 feet of me, and both hands firmly on the wheel.

When I tried it, I was actually amazed. It drove almost as well as it normally does.

Last year I was driving West on I-10, East of Houston, in a Very Heavy thunderstorm. I was only able to drive about 40 mph because I could not see the road very well. I got a message that the Lane Departure Warning was disabled. I can only assume that the sensors were receiving too much input and they were disabled. When it stopped raining as hard they started working again.

I must have really been pushing the limits of conditions it could handle. It was very heavy rain. I was in the left lane where traffic was still going 70 (70 limit) while some right lane cars had emergency flashers on and one or two had pulled over.

I guess it's thunderstorm season! I, too, had the opportunity to experiment with AP in a very heavy storm last weekend. There wasn't much traffic on the road, but everyone was slowed down to 35-45 and many cars were pulled off to the side. I was amazed how well AP functioned under these conditions. I was also very impressed by how the car itself handled - like a tank, plowing straight through incredibly heavy water and rain. It's a 70D so imagine the all-wheel drive was a factor. Anyway, it worked great for me, though I did not leave AP on for very long and would not rely on it in those conditions.

Yes, you do not have to connect to Tesla WiFi to trigger the update. You just have to enter one of these Tesla Facilities:

1250 Elko Drive
Aarhus-Viborgvej
Aix en Provence-Chemin des Piboules
Americana Manhasset - Temp
Amsterdam-PC Hooftstraat
Amsterdam-Zuid-Oost
Antwerp-Aartselaar
APAC-CN-Shanghai-Grand Gateway
Arnhem-Duiven
Atlanta-Decatur
Austin-Burnet Expansion
Austin-Burnet Road