Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is except that for the handles to feel properly responsive, I think they have to start extruding the instant they're poked. To register a double-tap the handle would have to wait a moment to see if a second tap is coming, and only then start coming out. I suspect it would feel wrong.

Quick tap to extend driver handle, press and hold to extend all handles. Problem solved!

Quick tap to extend driver handle, press and hold to extend all handles. Problem solved!

That works too.

- - - Updated - - -

It is except that for the handles to feel properly responsive, I think they have to start extruding the instant they're poked. To register a double-tap the handle would have to wait a moment to see if a second tap is coming, and only then start coming out. I suspect it would feel wrong.

My thought would be to press the handle a second time once it extended. Would our handles be able to register a press in the extended position?

That's quite interesting. An update "blacklist". So it might be worth for people who haven't received an upgrade by the end of a roll-out to contact Tesla service to inquire about this...

I definitely would say that anyone who hasn't been updated should follow through with some questions. I had no indication of anything going wrong at any point, but no in-car indication that an update was available, either. Nor did the email from Tesla indicate any failure. In my case, it took a SC visit for my update to be applied.

FWIW, "blacklist" is the exact wording my tech person used. I didn't ask if this was a list maintained at Tesla HQ or just a flag that needed to be reset in the car.

That's quite interesting. An update "blacklist". So it might be worth for people who haven't received an upgrade by the end of a roll-out to contact Tesla service to inquire about this...

I called Tesla and similarly was told my car did not get the update due to low 12v battery. An update was not pushed to me, rather I was told my not-so-local SC would contact me. So, still without update, and wondering just what is up with my 12v. No mention made of a blacklist. FWIW, once I provided my name, it only took her a few seconds to tell me about the 12v causing me not to get the update.

I called Tesla and similarly was told my car did not get the update due to low 12v battery. An update was not pushed to me, rather I was told my not-so-local SC would contact me. So, still without update, and wondering just what is up with my 12v. No mention made of a blacklist. FWIW, once I provided my name, it only took her a few seconds to tell me about the 12v causing me not to get the update.
I commend your taste in cars...
A low 12V battery is something that used to cause me worries. I had three 12V replacements with my 60. None so far in my P85D. so maybe they have this one under control now, but it's definitely something to ask about. I remember that the last time the 12V was replaced in the 60 it was because "the diagnostics reported a potential problem", so they appear to be monitoring this more closely now...

My car can sit for days without being used, and might only put on 20 or so miles every week or two. Perhaps it went into some kind of deep sleep and/or drained the 12V while sitting (while connected to the charger), which led to a spurious reading. Just guessing. Apparently, the battery checked out fine.

I was also told in my email that the "vehicle has shown less than optimal cellular signal strength overnight" and that they would "recommend connecting to your home’s Wifi network". However, I do have it connected to Wifi that's strong enough at that location to watch Netflix on a tablet. Not sure what's going on there - maybe another potential sleep issue.

+1 :biggrin:

By the way, for those who haven't seen the new graphics for trucks and motorcycles yet, I took a short video yesterday:

This reminds me. Is it driving anyone else crazy that the vehicles in neighboring lanes don't display parallel to the center lane? It's like they are all angled away. I know...nitpicking... but still bugs me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think tapping the rear passenger door handle on the driver side, which remain recessed, is easier to distinguish the command to extend all door handles.

Here's the challenge for some though... I believe some owners that want this new Driver Option, do so from a pure security perspective -- to ensure when they open the driver door to get in, no one else can open another door perhaps simultaneously without their intervention. If that is the case, allowing a double-tap on another handle defeats the benefits Driver mode as it is, provides.

Here's the challenge for some though... I believe some owners that want this new Driver Option, do so from a pure security perspective -- to ensure when they open the driver door to get in, no one else can open another door perhaps simultaneously without their intervention. If that is the case, allowing a double-tap on another handle defeats the benefits Driver mode as it is, provides.

The second tap has to be on the driver side rear passenger door handle, not just any other door handle. I think that is safe enough for me.

But surely you can see why that would still defeat the benefits of the Driver Mode option for others, right? Just because you would feel safe enough that way doesn't mean everyone would. It would make no sense for Tesla, after providing a more secure mode for the people that wanted one, to now change that mode to make it less secure.

But surely you can see why that would still defeat the benefits of the Driver Mode option for others, right? Just because you would feel safe enough that way doesn't mean everyone would. It would make no sense for Tesla, after providing a more secure mode for the people that wanted one, to now change that mode to make it less secure.
Point taken, going back to the original request for the secure door opening, I thought it was to avoid the risk of a person coming in the dark opposite the driver side.

- - - Updated - - -

How do other manufacturers handle this? Tesla isn't the only company with fobs you don't have to touch to get in to the car, and we're constantly told they have this feature, so how do they handle it "better" than Tesla is?
For Porsche, it works with short range FOB. Without touching FOB, I have to go over to the passenger side to open the door for my passenger, which makes me more gentlemanly:wink:

For Porsche, it works with short range FOB. Without touching FOB, I have to go over to the passenger side to open the door for my passenger, which makes me more gentlemanly:wink:
Tesla has antennas at both ends of the dash from what I gather, so it should be trivial to do this, but I somehow doubt Tesla is likely to jump on it. I'm also not sure that would alleviate the concerns of those who find tapping the park button too difficult, as I'm sure walking around the car is more so.

Tesla has antennas at both ends of the dash from what I gather, so it should be trivial to do this, but I somehow doubt Tesla is likely to jump on it. I'm also not sure that would alleviate the concerns of those who find tapping the park button too difficult, as I'm sure walking around the car is more so.
I think setting the driver door only will not allow the passenger door to open even with FOB being on passenger door. Three ways to open passenger door with secured driver door enabled are to use the FOB, or press the park button, or double tap the door open icon on main screen.

I think setting the driver door only will not allow the passenger door to open even with FOB being on passenger door. Three ways to open passenger door with secured driver door enabled are to use the FOB, or press the park button, or double tap the door open icon on main screen.
That appears to be correct, I'm just saying that the solution of making it work that way seems a little weak if people think pressing the park button is too much work I doubt they'll want to walk all the way around the car.

How do other manufacturers handle this? Tesla isn't the only company with fobs you don't have to touch to get in to the car, and we're constantly told they have this feature, so how do they handle it "better" than Tesla is?
On my former Lexus it worked like this:
1. FOB has both a lock and an unlock button (along with a button for the hatch and one for a panic alarm). Press lock and all doors lock. Press unlock once and only driver side unlocks; Press unlock twice and all 4 doors unlock.
2. If you have the FOB with you and you grasp either front door handle, the door unlocks. If you touch an area on the top of those door handles, all doors lock when the FOB is outside the vehicle.
3. There is then a physical lock and unlock all doors button under mirror adjustment controls on driver side door (which is an easy thing to access once the driver door is open, even before jumping into the seat.)

IIRC my MBZ and former BMW operated somewhat similarly, although the German brands required a $600+ option to have the touch-sensitive door options, otherwise it was FOB and key-only access. Point being here perhaps, Tesla has one button on its FOB for main doors, others have both a lock and unlock button providing a little more flexibility for this discussion.

Last edited: