Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my younger childhood, there was no video at all. We had to use our imagination to make the pictures as we read a book, or more rarely, listened to the Lone Ranger on the radio.

Later, a green-screen "Tele-vision" arrived, perhaps receiving Flash Gorden episodes with a rocket ship model hanging from a string.

The kids of today have more computer in their pocket (or on their wrist) than the biggest 1979 IBM computer had, where just the 4 megabyte core-RAM memory and cpu was larger than a big refrigerator. Each 1 megabyte was about 2 feet by 1 foot and about 6 feet high. The CPU was about 1 x 1 x 6 feet, surrounded by the four cabinets of memory.

And, no GPS either.

Oh, and no firmware either, to get a tiny bit back on topic, sorry.

Last edited:
It's triggered by being in AutoSteer (any allowed speed) then pulling up on the stalk that engages AS a few times (4 or 5). You turn it off by disengaging.
I've confirmed getting it to engage on 4 pulls. You don't have to be in AP mode for this to happen. So 4 quick succession pulls is all it takes to turn it on. If you mess up, you can continue to do 4 fast pulls in order to get the rainbow effect. I AP'ed it down a 2+ mile new stretch of road with minimal traffic and it stayed on the whole time.

Hank--I'm not suggesting a change to who has the rights to do the naming. I'm merely suggesting that the actual naming not take place for a few days, so that if a new feature is discovered, the name may be changed by whomever had the right to designate the name before that name had become the official name. Does that make sense?

In this case, "Same Old, Same Old", which was in place only hours after the update was first out (good job on being on top of things), doesn't really do this version justice!

I put that name in because everyone was posting no changes. But that doesn't mean any names are fixed in stone.

So what's this one? "Rainbow Road"? "More Cowbell"?

I'm as always impressed with Tesla's focus on what its customers need the most... and apparently that psychedelic cow bells.

:facepalm:

I'm hoping that the Model 3 introduction will force them to become more "reasonable" - I'm guessing the dev time used on that Autopilot rainbow thing could have been used for e.g. adding an option to define child lock on just one rear door vs. the current "both doors or none" implementation. Or do Tesla Devs get a guaranteed "use 5 hours per week for something totally useless" kind of clause in their job contract? :D