Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this might be totally a coincidence, but...

I got the 2.20.45 update 2 days ago (coming from 2.17.37), and for some reason I've had two separate forward collision warnings at quite low speed. It seems the warning is suddenly much more sensitive than before. I've had the setting on "medium" since delivery 6months ago but never before noticed the warning in cases like this.

neither recent incident was even remotely an impending collision, with my car slowly approaching a car stopped ahead or slowly creeping forward itself. The collision warning didn't actually sound until after the car ahead started to accelerate and I likewise started moving forward - still at that point relatively low speed. In one case, the car in front was actually turning right while I was going straight ahead when I got the warning.
There is another thread here (Front collision warning fluke/ghost) that describes what you are likely seeing. It seems pretty common. I am experiencing the same issue.

One thing I noticed in going from 2.16.17 to 2.20.45 is that a bug with USB playback has been fixed. Before when I would pause playback when leaving the car, playback would start again as soon as I opened the door when returning. Now when I return, if I had paused playback it remains paused. Short of providing an actual off button for the audio system, this fix is a needed improvement for USB playback. Haven't tried it with the radio yet, since I don't use it much.

• Informative
Reactions: jgs
Untested. :)

Ha, good one. It must have meant "UNinstalled" I'd say. It was that next night that it updated on its own so it may have been the scheduled it for that night. A little odd since they didn't know I'd need the car or not later say at 2AM, but I guess at least if that is the case it warns you before it actually starts the actual install still if you are actually driving the car.

Maybe someone with more autopilot experience can tell me it this old behavior, new behavior, or just my imagination. I didn't see any reference to it in the threads I searched.

I was driving with autosteer in moderate traffic. The gap closed enough that the autopilot switched from blue lanes to blue lead car. Then the lead car decided to change lanes. Being attentively supervising as I should, I saw what was happening, so with my hand on the wheel I just "resisted" the autosteer to keep the wheel straight. As soon as I resisted the input, the display immediately changed back from blue lead car to blue lanes and I stayed in the same lane. This occurred without disengaging autosteer. My prior experience has been that any override to the autosteer immediately shuts it off. So is this intentional behavior in the AP software, and is it new?

Having had two unpleasantly close calls while using TACC in the past couple of weeks, I am unhappily concluding that it is not as reliable as it should be when a vehicle in front of you changes lanes. There have been many comments about how the radar cannot detect stationary objects, but in my recent events, the system failed to account for moving vehicles in front of me. In the worse of the two cases, a car in an adjacent lane moved into mine, but was going more slowly than I, and the system apparently failed to recognize it and did not brake. The emergency warnings did come up, warning me of an obstacle, but I had to brake the car myself. It unsettled me to the point that I shut of TACC for awhile. I was glad i had no passenger to with me to witness the system's behavior because they would have lost confidence in the car.
Although I understand the system is "in Beta" and is not perfect, I really don't get why the system can "see" a car well enough to sound a warning, but can't use that information for TACC to adjust the car's speed accordingly.

New weirdness noticed in my 2013 classic S85 running 2.20.45:

It seems to have forgotten what Range Mode is. I have Range Mode set to ON, like always. But my air conditioning goes to 11! That's the new weirdness. I confirmed it multiple times, even rebooted the 17" screen to confirm. Still: range mode on, but the A/C fan goes to 11. That is entirely new with 2.20.45. What else is buggy, I wonder?

Are those who are describing negative feedback regarding AP driving the pre-refresh model S? What year is your model S?

I have the recent refresh model S, and have no complaints about AP. It does surprisingly well in LA/OC traffic and driving conditions.
As someone who has driven an Audi with TACC + lane keep assist for several years.... You will need more time before drawing conclusions :). This tech works 99.9% of the time but will make you crap your pants (and hopefully not end up as a electrek headline) once in a blue moon.

The riskiest time is when the car you are following moves out of your lane, or someone cuts you off. Every ACC system I've tested is a little lazy at admitting the thing that cut you off is a car until it's well centered in your lane.

Reactions: Lex
Having had two unpleasantly close calls while using TACC in the past couple of weeks, I am unhappily concluding that it is not as reliable as it should be when a vehicle in front of you changes lanes. There have been many comments about how the radar cannot detect stationary objects, but in my recent events, the system failed to account for moving vehicles in front of me. In the worse of the two cases, a car in an adjacent lane moved into mine, but was going more slowly than I, and the system apparently failed to recognize it and did not brake. The emergency warnings did come up, warning me of an obstacle, but I had to brake the car myself. It unsettled me to the point that I shut of TACC for awhile. I was glad i had no passenger to with me to witness the system's behavior because they would have lost confidence in the car.
Although I understand the system is "in Beta" and is not perfect, I really don't get why the system can "see" a car well enough to sound a warning, but can't use that information for TACC to adjust the car's speed accordingly.

Yes, I think we almost all can agree that this is when TACC consistently fails so just be aware of it.

1) when a car moves into your lane, merging, slower than you, or cutting you off. The TACC and the emergency braking (remember only slows you down up to 25mph but doesn't auto stop fully) don't work together. The car is not visible to the radar in front just yet, and the ultrasonic sensors in front/side of car are a short distance only and again don't react, TACC gets priority it seems.

2) in traffic/more close conditions, TACC/AP locks onto the car in front of you, not lanes (thus you have a blue car on display and not blue lanes. Unfortunately the camera has limited field of view still in hardware and requires this and its common in normal traffic where AP is useful at times. AP lane steering will tend to follow the car out of the lane if they are exiting your lane somewhat before correcting, seeing lanes, etc. This can pull you into the lane next to you also or even a car, in which the MS won't recover either. TACC/lane steering gets priority over side collision safety it seems.

Both of these are the bad cases that you hear about and I can say i've encountered, but I'm aware of and watch for now. Better/more cameras, improved sensors, and software in future versions of AP hopefully will remediate these scenarios.

New owners should be aware of these!

New weirdness noticed in my 2013 classic S85 running 2.20.45:

It seems to have forgotten what Range Mode is. I have Range Mode set to ON, like always. But my air conditioning goes to 11! That's the new weirdness. I confirmed it multiple times, even rebooted the 17" screen to confirm. Still: range mode on, but the A/C fan goes to 11. That is entirely new with 2.20.45. What else is buggy, I wonder?
Assuming Tesla has now disconnected the two things Range Mode did: Limiting fan speed and when ON, distributing torque between front/rear motors for those of us with D-models, I personally see this as a huge improvement vs a bug. (As to which it is, IDK). I can now decide to turn my fan up if I want to -- with the potential impact on range that may have without Tesla simply not providing me the option to decide for myself, AND I still get some range benefit allowing MS software to better shift work between my dual motors.

FWIW, I noticed this change back in 2.18.77 (and on my present 2.20.30), if not 2.17.xx.