Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and

I have no idea how or why, but after suffering for days with this idiotic behavior of unmuting when the driver's door is opened, my car has suddenly and without a firmware update or reboot, stopped doing it. it also stopped the spontaneous reboot of the center screen about an hour after I reported it to the service center. That's two -- and I'm beginning to think Telsa is pushing patches to my car without my knowledge or permission. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's a strange coincidence if not.

I like some features, and I don't like some of the things that have been taken away, but in any event, version 8.0 is probably the buggiest release I've experienced since my car was new on 5.12.
It was reported here the spontaneous crashing was a server side issue and was fixed without sending any updates to cars.

It was reported here the spontaneous crashing was a server side issue and was fixed without sending any updates to cars.
Now see, I have have a huge problem with that. There's no way in you-know-where that functionality of our cars should be in any way dependent upon the workings of a remote server. The cars should only be sending data, not receiving. If Tesla has a server problem, it should have zero impact on our cars.

That's like saying computers around the world could spontaneously reboot because Microsoft has a bad server, or iPads malfunction because Apple power cycled a Mac. Or a storm hit China so my Lenovo/Motorola phone won't turn on. :confused:

Sounds like a bad explanation and it makes no sense.

Now see, I have have a huge problem with that. There's no way in you-know-where that functionality of our cars should be in any way dependent upon the workings of a remote server. The cars should only be sending data, not receiving. If Tesla has a server problem, it should have zero impact on our cars.

My understanding is that Tesla was pushing updated data, for example the destination/Supercharger list, to the cars and that something was corrupt in that data that caused the reboot. Once Tesla corrected the data on their servers and pushed it again the CIDs stopped crashing.

That's like saying computers around the world could spontaneously reboot because Microsoft has a bad server, or iPads malfunction because Apple power cycled a Mac. Or a storm hit China so my Lenovo/Motorola phone won't turn on. :confused:

Sounds like a bad explanation and it makes no sense.

See Mike's post...
My understanding is that Tesla was pushing updated data, for example the destination/Supercharger list, to the cars and that something was corrupt in that data that caused the reboot. Once Tesla corrected the data on their servers and pushed it again the CIDs stopped crashing.

Tesla updated the data and our cars periodically download the updated list. When the corrupt data was found, the CID rebooted to eliminate the corrupt data from memory and reload what was saved to disk in the prior version. Then, at the next interval, it would download the list again. This repeated until the data was corrected and the next download wasn't corrupt.

Re beta program, actually I was in one EAP but I felt they were not listening to bug reports. I raised more than 20 reports but they fixed only one or two upon release. Just one data point.

I am not surprised, that is the problem with any beta, early field trial, etc. You need to staff appropriately to collect, groom and follow-up on the feedback and a lot of companies neglect to do this. It would seem that this is another area Tesla is "running lean" and its the kind of thing that canl come back to bite them. I will give Apple credit on this front--every bug I have ever filled via the developer portal has been followed up in some manner.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Even if there is a radius set, there should be an easy way (one button click) to "Show All Superchargers".

I really hate it when developers think they're developing code smarter than the user. It rarely is.

So, heading into the Bay Area today, I watch the list and there does seem to be some sort of reachability filter in play as the list grew shorter as my remaining range decreased. In the context of the lightening bolt button, I think this is a reasonable design decision, as it would be pointless and problematic to show chargers that are not reachable.

That being said, I would also like to see some way to access the full supercharger list,

So, heading into the Bay Area today, I watch the list and there does seem to be some sort of reachability filter in play as the list grew shorter as my remaining range decreased. In the context of the lightening bolt button, I think this is a reasonable design decision, as it would be pointless and problematic to show chargers that are not reachable.

Not really pointless... say I pull into a SC stall with near 0% SOC (hypothetical)... and I want to try out different routes to other SCs along my trip, to decide how long to stay at this one SC. I may plug in one or two SCs along my route to see the time and miles routed to those SCs. But if I have 0% SOC, is it not going to show me any (except the one I'm at)?

I also like how the current SC list in 7.1 shows the great-circle mileage to each SC location. I suspect that's gone too?

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks

That being said, I would also like to see some way to access the full supercharger list,
Not pointless at all. I want to know where the next supercharger is after the one I'm stopping at. Previous versions showed that list, so why take that information away?

I didn't experience it on mine. And I was (and still am) running 7.1.

Remember that this data is polled and pulled by our cars, not pushed from the server. It could be that all this happened in the interval between when your car checked. Not saying that is the case, but a good possibility. When this happened in 7.x last year on a destination charger update, my car was unaffected. I don't know if my car just didn't download the updated list yet, or if my car didn't even try to download that update (the change was in a different geographic area than I was at).

OK, perhaps "pointless" was not quite the right term.

Not really pointless... say I pull into a SC stall with near 0% SOC (hypothetical)... and I want to try out different routes to other SCs along my trip, to decide how long to stay at this one SC. I may plug in one or two SCs along my route to see the time and miles routed to those SCs. But if I have 0% SOC, is it not going to show me any (except the one I'm at)?

Fair point--not sure what it would do once you plug in. I meant to check when I plugged in today, but got distracted and forgot.

Not pointless at all. I want to know where the next supercharger is after the one I'm stopping at. Previous versions showed that list, so why take that information away?

If you have a destination plugged in, it will still show you the Supercharging stops along the way as it does in 7.1.

TexasEV said:

Now see, I have have a huge problem with that. There's no way in you-know-where that functionality of our cars should be in any way dependent upon the workings of a remote server. The cars should only be sending data, not receiving. If Tesla has a server problem, it should have zero impact on our cars. Sounds like a bad explanation and it makes no sense.

I flew my Cirrus single-engine airplane to Duluth for the "Cirrus Migration" a few years ago. It's very similar to the Tesla: fast, good-looking,
all electronic displays, GPS-dependent Nav screen. There were about 300 of us there. At the end of the meeting, we all took off and scattered to all corners of the continent. A few hours into my flight home, the map display crashed, which I reported to ATC. Then several other Cirruses reported the same thing. When I got home, we compared notes on the Cirrus version of TMC and determined that most of the Cirrus fleet had crashed displays at about the same time. It turned out, naturally, to be a server error. Automated weather info being uploaded to the map display had a badly-formatted data record that the display barfed on.

If you have a destination plugged in, it will still show you the Supercharging stops along the way as it does in 7.1.
But I don't always want to navigate to my final destination. I may want to navigate supercharger to supercharger. Maybe that's why Tesla thinks listing all the superchsrgers was unnecessary, it assumes we always navigate to our final destination. i don't trust that and want to do it "manually".

TexasEV said:

I flew my Cirrus single-engine airplane to Duluth for the "Cirrus Migration" a few years ago. It's very similar to the Tesla: fast, good-looking,
all electronic displays, GPS-dependent Nav screen. There were about 300 of us there. At the end of the meeting, we all took off and scattered to all corners of the continent. A few hours into my flight home, the map display crashed, which I reported to ATC. Then several other Cirruses reported the same thing. When I got home, we compared notes on the Cirrus version of TMC and determined that most of the Cirrus fleet had crashed displays at about the same time. It turned out, naturally, to be a server error. Automated weather info being uploaded to the map display had a badly-formatted data record that the display barfed on.

....oh, that must have been fun...I assume you had an iPad or paper maps as a backup.