Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine varies. Often it works flawlessly, amazingly well. Others not. It seems taping the button a second time to finish the input seems to help. I like the text display on what it is hearing and it like the new interface for voice phone calls.

....oh, that must have been fun...I assume you had an iPad or paper maps as a backup.
Not needed. The map data was redundantly displayed on the Garmin GPS (in miniature size), the autopilot didn't care what was on the display, and recycling the display's circuit breaker brought it back on-line. The hardest part was finding the right circuit breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
It seems obvious to me that Tesla's UI designers do not drive Teslas, Otherwise, why would they have changed what was working adequatly, although not optimally.

Is it only me, but I think the new map is washed out. It does not have as much contrast as it used to have. I do not like the buttons that go away. You need more attention, thus more distraction from driving, to adjust the map. Of course, if we had autopilot, it would not be a problem ( this is in the UI designer mind ).

Also, why is it that in the map, when you select one of the buttons, it is grayed out ( Sattellite, trafic, chargers ). In the media app, when you are using the USB, selecting suffle or repeat, it is the reverse. The button is grayed, until selected. Can you guys sit together and use the same standard.

I won't go into the USB UI failure as it is too long for this post. 7.1 needed some improvement. It was changed, certainly not for the better, at least for me. I have had the car for more than 2 years. The car is fine, but the UI in general was "improvable". More so now, we went back a few steps. Also, for me, the voice recognition is a total failure. I am in French Canada. I would like it to recognize French, as Siri or Android both do perfectly. Not Tesla.
I am fully bilingual, but my accent is not recognized by Tesla. But when I talk to anyone at Tesla, they understand me without problem. Only their voice recognition fails at my English accent.

To sum it up, to me, v8 is a big fail, at least for us classic owners. Many of the new things are for Autopilot users. Some improvements on the basic features are still needed to make it a really good car.

Can I get back to v7 ?

It seems obvious to me that Tesla's UI designers do not drive Teslas, Otherwise, why would they have changed what was working adequatly, although not optimally.
I'm not even sure they drive cars. However, V8 does have some improvements over V7. V7 was such a downgrade from previous versions that a lot more improvements would be needed to come up to V5.

I won't make that decision based on a thread like this which is mainly just an outlet to whine. I am very happy with it as is, I suspect, most users.

The problems with USB media are not just whines but define a poorly designed step backwards by whoever it was at Tesla that developed 8.0 I never use streaming music (the audio quality is terrible) and play everything from a 1tb drive with everything in FLAC. My entire music collection is on that drive. 8.0 makes finding things a disaster on a USB drive. So no 8.0 for me until this is fixed.

After a couple more longish trips under my belt, I am further liking the improvements to the navigation interface and the media app for streaming. However, the media interface for USB is totally broken (and dangerous) for anything other than shuffle and the nav algorithms seem to have gotten a bit dumber along the way.

• Informative
Reactions: jrreno
Based on what I've been reading about the failures of 8.0, Riley should find another job -- maybe at GM.
Ahem, it was a joke. Talulah is Musk's ex-wife.

For people who want to use USB on 8.0 more viably until it is properly fixed, try these workarounds:
1) turn off energy savings mode. It causes USB drive to be rescanned each time you start.
2) create folders named A thru Z. Put music in those by artist name. Use folders view to play music.
3) there are utilities that can add track number to track tag info so your songs play in album order.

FWIW I did just first 2, but others have done all 3.

This doesn't solve ALL of the USB problems, but does make it marginally functional. If anyone from Tesla reads this: Don't you dare use these workarounds as an excuse to deprioritize fixing USB! It's an embarrassment.

3) there are utilities that can add track number to track tag info so your songs play in album order.

3) All of my files are properly tagged with track numbers. As it appears to me, the media player no longer takes track number into account, and instead plays in alpha order based on track title. Why they would remove this is beyond me. But it is unacceptable. The media player should be able to play music in the proper order based on tags, like every other media player.

It is now impossible to play an album in order without changing the track title tags to include a preceding number. Is this what you are suggesting in number 3?

Tesla should restore the basic sorting functionality they removed (that was present in every previous version of their software, and every other media player ever).

Artist* (Alpha order) -> Album (Alpha order) -> Track (Track Order)
*Album Artist is a better tag to use because it prevents albums with multiple artists from being split up. If no Album Artist tag, use Artist.

Instead we get:
Artist (Alpha order) -> Track (Alpha order)
or
Album (Alpha order) -> Track (Alpha order)

3) All of my files are properly tagged with track numbers. As it appears to me, the media player no longer takes track number into account, and instead plays in alpha order based on track title. Why they would remove this is beyond me. But it is unacceptable. The media player should be able to play music in the proper order based on tags, like every other media player.

It is now impossible to play an album in order without changing the track title tags to include a preceding number. Is this what you are suggesting in number 3?

Tesla should restore the basic sorting functionality they removed (that was present in every previous version of their software, and every other media player ever).

Artist* (Alpha order) -> Album (Alpha order) -> Track (Track Order)
*Album Artist is a better tag to use because it prevents albums with multiple artists from being split up. If no Album Artist tag, use Artist.

Instead we get:
Artist (Alpha order) -> Track (Alpha order)
or
Album (Alpha order) -> Track (Alpha order)
Point is you can use tagging utilities to incorporate track number into track name tag, which is what media player uses. Yes, they should never have messed USB up. I totally agree, have posted such, written tesla, and urged others to do so.

But I also want to live every day with functional USB and without high blood pressure. Hence the workarounds.

Just prepending the track number to the title would not work for albums with more than 9 songs :). May be you have to prepend with A, B, C,...

By the way, I also noticed that the player no longer uses <Album, Album Artist> to group albums. Instead, it just uses <Album>. This means if you have multiple albums with the same name, all songs appear under one album.

Also, the sub text, ideally, when albums are listed, should show the <Album Artist>, as it did in 7.2. Now it shows the list of <Artist> tags from songs within the album.

It seems someone with very little knowledge of the music tags wrote the code for the player, given there are so many basics wrongly done.

If they don't want to outsource the player software, at least they could use open source code available, for basic functions.

Point is you can use tagging utilities to incorporate track number into track name tag, which is what media player uses. Yes, they should never have messed USB up. I totally agree, have posted such, written tesla, and urged others to do so.

Ok, that's what I thought. Thought there was some way to make it read the track number tags that I was missing. Guess I'll be going through my library and messing up the title tags so they will work with the new media player. Lame. I've also reported the issues with the Media player to Tesla. Hopefully they fix it, but not counting on it.