Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. But i used the wrong terms, i meant the "Freeway Exit" Feature, where it takes the exit upon activating the signal, as demonstrated here:

Doesn't work properly either, at least not in any testing I've done. This video doesn't properly demonstrate a reliable way the highway exit feature works.

As far as I know, the release notes didn't mention the Freeway exit feature had actually been added. I think that any video you see of people testing this is really just the standard lane change functionality.

I think people are talking about (and trying to use) a feature that wasn't actually released yet. Just because it was mentioned in a tweet doesn't mean it was actually deployed yet.

Did you do something?

I still got the error (S 85 / 2015 / Switzerland) and my Service Center told me, that they will "reset" it next Monday, when I go to change the tires (summer to winter).
They also told me, that it could also be, that a (software) fix is faster. :eek:

I didn't do anything.. but I read from finnish fb group, that it can memontarily go on and off.

As far as I know, the release notes didn't mention the Freeway exit feature had actually been added. I think that any video you see of people testing this is really just the standard lane change functionality.

I think people are talking about (and trying to use) a feature that wasn't actually released yet. Just because it was mentioned in a tweet doesn't mean it was actually deployed yet.

^ THIS. Well said. Looking more carefully at the video, looks like it was just a lane change into exit-only lane, but contrast was very poor so it's hard to tell.

It's unbelievable how often information gets misinterpreted and features get proclaimed as released where in fact testing was inconclusive at best!!

I just noticed something today in the new instrument cluster display with version 8. Probably everyone else noticed this ages ago so I am prepared to be embarrassed. And I am sorry, I have not read all 175 pages of this thread!
Anyway, I noticed that the steering wheel symbol for the auto-steer function actually turns as the car's steering wheel turns. This astonishes me! Wouldn't that have taken a fair amount of coding? And doesn't it use computer resources that might be better put to other use? I see it as a "cute" detail of no value and possibly detrimental to our real interests. It consumed reosurces for coding and testing, and adds unnecessarily to the processing burden on the system.
Am I missing something? Anyone else think this is a silly feature? Or am I offbase?
And if this was already in version 7.1, well, shame on me for not noticing!

• Funny
Reactions: Lex
I just noticed something today in the new instrument cluster display with version 8. Probably everyone else noticed this ages ago so I am prepared to be embarrassed. And I am sorry, I have not read all 175 pages of this thread!
Anyway, I noticed that the steering wheel symbol for the auto-steer function actually turns as the car's steering wheel turns. This astonishes me! Wouldn't that have taken a fair amount of coding? And doesn't it use computer resources that might be better put to other use? I see it as a "cute" detail of no value and possibly detrimental to our real interests. It consumed reosurces for coding and testing, and adds unnecessarily to the processing burden on the system.
Am I missing something? Anyone else think this is a silly feature? Or am I offbase?
It was in version 7.1 already. There it does it only when AP is active.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
It was in version 7.1 already. There it does it only when AP is active.

Meanwhile, it was presumably decided that having the details of the HVAC "Custom" controls be displayed on the main screen was too distracting, complex, and/or resource-intensive. :( I miss that specific aspect of 6.2 every day.

Last edited:

Steering angle is already captured by the car, even before AP was launched in Oct 2015 (I know because soon after I got my car in late 2014, my SA showed me the engineering screen that shows the angle in precise °) so it wouldn't have taken much coding at all to display it in the IC. And it was already in 7.1, and even in 7.0 - so yeah, almost a year now...

Regarding the media player issues discussed before, in my opinion, using USB is not necessarily a generational thing. I'm sure there were always people who did not want to maintain their own personal libraries. It is just that those people today have an option - streaming services.

I am 32, and use my USB library a lot. I do use streaming services too, but sometimes, I like to control exactly what I want to play. Sometimes, I want to play random tracks for a given mood or from a given artist. Each situation demands a different service.

Of course, if we had all major streaming services in the UI, one may argue that we do not need USB. For example, I have all my library on Google Music. If Google Music worked in our car, sure that would cover all my requirements. Playing specific albums, playing radio stations, or whatever. Others may use Apple Music or any other service for the same. Audiophiles may still find the need for USB, but my point is just that the UI we have today, without USB, is an incomplete media player, unless you include playing music from the phone. And indeed I feel it is a shame, if that is what we need to do with the hardware we have in our cars.

Also, streaming services only offer the popular music. As I mentioned elsewhere before, music popularity has a very heavy tail, and no service can offer all music to the end of the tail. Not to mention non-English music from other countries.

And what about when we do not have a data signal? On road trips? No music?

I do not think only old people need USB :)

Charge port error message is apparently fixed now. At least I didn't get it anymore.

I went yesterday to my SC in Switzerland (2 km from home) to show them the message related to the "Charge Port".They told me they will look at it! This morning the error message was gone !! I believe they fixed it changing the parameter "motorized_charge_port" to "false".

I would prefer the USB, but I'm planning on just using bluetooth with my phone after reading this thread. That's why I got the 128GB iPhone, so I could fit all of my music on it. It's a small sacrifice to make for Lord Elon;). I'm 46, but I can still roll with the punches.
FLAC over Bluetooth kinda defeats the purpose of having a) FLAC formatted tracks, b) upgraded sound package

I would prefer the USB, but I'm planning on just using bluetooth with my phone after reading this thread. That's why I got the 128GB iPhone, so I could fit all of my music on it. It's a small sacrifice to make for Lord Elon;). I'm 46, but I can still roll with the punches.
Does the Search feature in v.8 work for music on the phone?
And does it work specifically with Android?
Personally, I have never been able to get music to play from my Android phone, but the voice features and calendar work just fine.