Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first saw that I posted that I thought it might be new. Someone told me that they thought it only happened when following stop-start traffic up hill. For me it probably was the first time I'd engaged AP in stop-start on a hill (normally I'd use it in traffic that had ground to a halt on highway, so probably only ever used it on-the-flat). Dunno if that applies in your case? (Sounds like this is your regular commute, so it may well be that, unlike my experience, you have used AP in stop-start traffic on that uphill section before)

@WannabeOwner this was a flat freeway (dreaded HW101 in the bay area) - sometimes lovingly called 1 ON 1. So I have had multiple times stopped traffic for 10s of seconds - but never saw this one earlier. I think from other posts, it looks like they have adjusted the trigger time of 30 seconds in the highway, to something like 15 seconds now...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I have AP1 car. I got my notification for new s/w (2.52.22) this morning at 6AM - told me it would take 1hr40min but got it done in < 20mins.

So far, I saw this a couple of times during my morning commute - a new "Hold" (not steering hold) that keeps that car in stop position and will only move if I press accelerator. This message appears after the car has been in autopilot and stopped for more than 15 or so seconds due to stopped traffic ahead. I thought this was new in this s/w release, but looks like another thread (in Holland) has this since June...I haven't seen this the last 3 months I have owned the car - and similar commute profile/time. So it looks like this feature existed before and activated in our region only recently (and was already active in Europe?)...

View attachment 210225

I have seen this message many times before.

• Helpful
Reactions: phaduman
I don't have an AP car... what are we looking at here?

Pretty sure the picture is showing evidence of the new (returned) "+5" functionality that allows the speed with auto steer engaged, on non-divided highways, to be set at 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. Some version of the firmware in the past couple of months had limited this speed from five miles over down to the speed limit.

The picture shows that the car is recognizing the speed limit as 45 MPH, and allowing auto steer to be engaged at 50 MPH.

I don't have an AP car... what are we looking at here?

We're supposed to look past taking a hands-free picture at 50mph crossing through an intersection with no lead car or lane lines…. and awe at how Tesla's brought back the safety enhancement that we now how the freedom to do it at 50mph instead of 45mph.

Maybe I'll just wait a bit longer
IMG_0938.jpg

Reactions: phaduman
interesting, in the year+ that I've owned an AP equipped car I've never seen the hold message.
I usually only see it if a motorcyclist whizzes by me while stopped, or if the car stops too close to some shrubbery by the side of the road. It seems to be the AP side whiskers going to red while stopped (or a pedestrian being detected nearby) that triggers HOLD.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
We're supposed to look past taking a hands-free picture at 50mph crossing through an intersection with no lead car or lane lines…. and awe at how Tesla's brought back the safety enhancement that we now how the freedom to do it at 50mph instead of 45mph.

I understand where your cynicism comes from, however I have been refusing the last set of updates (for the first time in 2+ years of ownership, and many here know I'm usually the first to jump on new firmware) specifically because of the no-AP-speed-over-the-limit implementation.

Now that we have confirmation of the AP-allows-5mph-over-the-limit return, I am glad to see that Tesla listened and removed the previous limitation, so I know it's "safe" for me to upgrade again.

So I for one appreciate the reports confirming returned functionality.

I understand where your cynicism comes from, however I have been refusing the last set of updates (for the first time in 2+ years of ownership, and many here know I'm usually the first to jump on new firmware) specifically because of the no-speed-over-the-limit implementation.

Now that we have confirmation of the 5mph-over-the-limit return, I am glad to see that Tesla listened and removed the previous limitation, so I know it's "safe" for me to upgrade again.

So I for one appreciate the reports confirming returned functionality.

It was partly sarcastic partly serious. I also appreciate the reports of confirming returned functionality, and as a Californian like you, believe that the Maximum Speed Law (and hence the posted speed limit of 45) does not apply on this road because it is not a multi-lane highway with a posted speed limit of 55, 65, or 70.

All I'm saying is let's please not post pictures of us doing clearly dangerous things like allowing AP to cross a traffic intersection without close supervision…. It's not doing us a favor in the public eye.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Pretty sure the picture is showing evidence of the new (returned) "+5" functionality that allows the speed with auto steer engaged, on non-divided highways, to be set at 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. Some version of the firmware in the past couple of months had limited this speed from five miles over down to the speed limit.

The picture shows that the car is recognizing the speed limit as 45 MPH, and allowing auto steer to be engaged at 50 MPH.

Ah, thank you.

Reactions: Andyw2100
At this point, anyone who wants to suggest a name, just do it. ;)

What version do you want to anoint as "High-Five"?

I guess it should be 8.0.2.52.22. If it turns out this version also fixes the problem with the new five-band equalizer, I think I'd like to modify my suggestion to "High-Five, Fixed Five", or something (perhaps someone can do better) that accounts for both changes/fixes.

• Love
Reactions: yak-55 and msnow