Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
got the update here in Fresno last night. S85 AP, 63xxx. Initial impression without having driven it are that the new user interface has a cleaner more modern look, and the media app is much improved and now worthy of the 17 inch screen and the car. Reminds me of itunes flow view. I do notice now there is no option to choose a high fidelity setting in the apps section under Slacker. Not sure what that means. It seems to sound the same as the hifi setting.

Driving impressions to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: msnow
Looking at photos online makes it look like we did NOT get the 6.2 information dense climate control status bar. Still just "Auto" or "Custom" from the screenshots people have posted. Could someone confirm though in case they just had their settings in such a way that we wouldn't see any detail (like maybe full Auto doesn't say anything, but Custom now would). It was very nice in 6.2 to see all this detail at-a-glance in the status display:
BaLWYwz.jpg

While the zealots will take exception with my POV, it appears Tesla has been lax focusing on functionality beyond perhaps AP with any rigor, AND/OR Elon has elected to do this very slow roll-out of 8.0 with the fleet performing even more of the real-world testing one would expect any EAP to have accomplished. In either case perhaps he felt the need to get the AP changes out faster, or was pressured to get the new radar-biased code into the fleet by NHTSA or his legal team sooner than later.

IMHO whatever is going on does not bode well for a top-notch engineering firm quality-wise. Tesla's selection of EAP testers should be extremely representative of the fleet, while feedback expectations and Tesla's analysis of that input, should cause even non-safety failures like missing USB song alpha-sort to be caught in advance of a deployment GO decision. For anyone that's run major rollouts or been responsible for significant business critical system migrations, it just looks sloppy, or that Elon/Tesla really does not care about anything except (his) visionary improvements -- I hope the latter is not the case.

Tesla no longer has just a few enthusiast vehicles in the fleet. To be successful with an exponentially growing fleet owned by the masses in the near term, Tesla can't rely on perhaps an older-style "put it out there and we'll rapidly fix the big problems" approach. While Elon and most of us are impatient to get things done, Tesla must become more disciplined when it comes to thorough testing, ensuring only quality code from top-to-bottom reaches the fleet.

I happen to agree with your assessment, however, I think we are overthinking this. It's not about us (owners), or even perfecting the product (the car), it's about new sales to new owners (customers!). They (as many of us once did) respond to the hype machine.

I happen to agree with your assessment, however, I think we are overthinking this. It's not about us (owners), or even perfecting the product (the car), it's about new sales to new owners (customers!). They (as many of us once did) respond to the hype machine.
Yes, this is exactly the same reason Apple lost its UX mojo. It's hard to say it's a bad business decision to make UX quality job two instead of job one, but it's a pity. A failure of the market, I suppose.

The best we can hope for is that quality stays job two and doesn't drop further.

Looking at photos online makes it look like we did NOT get the 6.2 information dense climate control status bar. Still just "Auto" or "Custom" from the screenshots people have posted. Could someone confirm though in case they just had their settings in such a way that we wouldn't see any detail (like maybe full Auto doesn't say anything, but Custom now would). It was very nice in 6.2 to see all this detail at-a-glance in the status display:
BaLWYwz.jpg
This is the old climate control interface, not the new one. The one in the photos went away in 7.0 i believe. It was superior to the current one IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: Soolim
i dont understand some are complaining about really minuscul issues. and even some major that i just cant care about. as normal development goes on, a major upgrade needs smallish fixes just after release.

imho its mindblowing and freeking wunderful to have my car software fixed in a day or 10. refering the security flaw that was the last 7.1 release

second: always stay close to the core you offer. Tesla's core software is AP. period, the rest is just as simple as a peese of plastic, i dont care.

for me the AP is really the only thing that counts. and as i read about the smoothnes and features i am about to have a really really fantastic upgrade:)
thank you