Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love how they completely broke the ability to switch FM stations using the toggle switch on the steering wheel. If you keep switching stations (with either switch) then it goes to one of your streaming favorites, and not back around to the first station.

Couldn't they have assumed you wanted to switch between stations and not suddenly switch to a different source where the behavior is different.

I'm not concerned about it because I never use the radio. I just think it's funny.

The AP is awesome
The Nav is better
The media feels like some weird cutting off point where they decided to fix it later in 8.1

CarPlay would solve their Nav and Media Problems along with freeing up resources. Of course they don't own it and I'm sure paying Apple wouldn't sit right with Elon.

I've heard that carplay requires running QNX. If that's true, Tesla (Tesla runs Linux) will never support it until Apple allows it to be ported to other OSs. (Yes I know there's no technical reason it has to be on QNX, but it's Apple's choice).

Just FYI, the MP3 codec has been supported natively by Bluetooth for a while now, so there is no loss at all. The audio system receives the same stream of 0s and 1s as if it were a wired connected or USB.
Note: other formats such as flac or wma will continue to be compressed over Bluetooth, so do benefit from hard wired connection.

I don't believe any of my music is in MP3 (or most people using iPhones/ Apple ecosystem I would think). Doesn't that mean that it is decoding AAC and then being re-encoded? Even if it was MP3, it would need to be at a relatively modest bit rate to pass though unmodified, wouldn't it?

They have nothing to do with each other. Whatever is playing on your source device including MP3s will be compressed and suffer further loss over any A2DP codec that is not lossless.
No. If the codec is supported by the phone and receiver the BT will pass it through unmolested, even if it's a lossy format to begin with.

No. If the codec is supported by the phone and receiver the BT will pass it through unmolested, even if it's a lossy format to begin with.

That is a an extremely over simplified generalization.

For example, SBC is a lossless codec. If both transmitter and receiver support it, your source music, no matter what it was encoded with for storage will still loss quality because the music isn't encoded with SBC to begin with.

Now if you're talking about a music format that is lossy that is *ALSO* the A2DP codec then it can be transmitted without any additional loss.

Unfortunately, from my testing on a variety of android devices, PCs, and Macs, the Tesla will only support SBC unless you're on an iOS device.

Just another data point. My car sits in my garage, on wifi, when I'm 1000 miles away. I didn't do anything to install.

image.png

Can you no longer drag from the icon right to the bottom or hold the icon and chose the bottom panel directly like in 7.1?

But if you want to drag either Nav or the rear camera to the bottom half of the touchscreen, they do not 'stick' if you launch another app. Before, you could launch an app by tapping on the symbol. This would open the app in the upper view pane. Tap again to make it disappear and revert back to the proper arrangement (...in my case, Nav up/camera below). You have to see/try it to understand the issue. Yes--sort of a corner case but a PITA for those of us who want to keep the camera on at all times.

@JPP What do you mean they no longer stick? The way the windows have always worked is if you click a new app it opens in the top and the bottom stays the same. Does this no longer happen if the nav or camera is in the bottom? I always keep the camera open in the bottom and switch between nav/energy/media up top. Will this no longer work?

CarPlay would solve their Nav and Media Problems along with freeing up resources. Of course they don't own it and I'm sure paying Apple wouldn't sit right with Elon.

Really? How does it fix it for someone without a smartphone, or with a non-Apple smartphone? Nope, they need to develop their own system so that it is available to everyone.

• Disagree
Reactions: liuping and Richg
@JPP What do you mean they no longer stick? The way the windows have always worked is if you click a new app it opens in the top and the bottom stays the same. Does this no longer happen if the nav or camera is in the bottom? I always keep the camera open in the bottom and switch between nav/energy/media up top. Will this no longer work?
i'm on 8.0 and the app/window behavior takes some getting used to. Nav wants to "sticky" on top. If you don't have Nav open it will open in the top. If you do have Nav open, clicking another app will open it on the bottom instead of the top. To make Nav go away, you have to swap it to the bottom, then open another app to replace it.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
i'm on 8.0 and the app/window behavior takes some getting used to. Nav wants to "sticky" on top. If you don't have Nav open it will open in the top. If you do have Nav open, clicking another app will open it on the bottom instead of the top. To make Nav go away, you have to swap it to the bottom, then open another app to replace it.

That sounds like a very disappointing/annoying change. My initial excitement for 8.0 is rapidly diminishing.