Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: still doesn't work now having added "rename USB stick" and "reorganize root directory" to the list of ways to poke at it. I did verify that if I drop a few tracks onto a different stick, it works fine. I'm torn whether to reformat the stick and start from scratch as my next step, or report it to Tesla as a bug and preserve the stick as-is so the problem can be reproduced. (See how I am optimistically assuming I can get rid of the problem by reformatting the stick and reloading the music? Isn't that cute?)

Given nobody else has reported problems I'm inclined to reformat rather than trying to get a response on a media player bug, though, the USB standard may have been deprecated before they get around to triaging much less working on it. By the way, have others had success with large-ish libraries? (Mine is 200 GB or so, roughly 25k tracks.)
On a hunch, I changed my energy-saving setting from "on" to "off" yesterday. And what do you know, this morning I find my USB stick has been scanned and is ready to play. So that's still a bug, but one with a workaround. Now instead of being unusable because it's unusable, it's unusable because scrolling through 2868 artists or 1850 albums is completely unworkable.

I'll make sure I can reproduce the bug and assuming I can, I'll send it in to Tesla. I also intend to complain about the egregious UX fail. Is servicehelpna still the gold standard for where to send your bug reports to have them ignored, or is there some better option people know of? I suppose there's @elonmusk on Twitter.

Certainly a Slow rollout. Virtually no deployments of 8.0 during the evening of 9/24 and morning of 9/25.
I am betting on a new version being built before the gates reopen.

So far according to the Firmware Tracker, 550 active Firmware Tracker Users deployed and reported on 2.36.31 (the security patch).
So the 550 number represents the active users now on EV-FW.com.

of that number, 96 have deployed 8.0 so we have about 17% of the active EV-FW.com users having received and installed the 8.0 code over the last 3+ days.

Has anyone received v8 last night or this morning? We had .106 that was replaced with .108. Are we now waiting for .110? And will the earlier versions, about 15-20% of the fleet, need to be upgraded to .110 before the general roll-out resumes? Anyone have a SWAG about what's happening?

pic
They F**kin' took the amps and volts off the IC and CID when supercharging! It was in the Beta, but now it only shows mi/hr, kWh, and kW. No amps. No volts.
Seems like more dumbing down of the car for the mass market, just like when they moved the large battery meter from the center off to a small one in the corner where you have to look for it if you want to see it, and put an odometer in its place. It's as if Tesla wants to downplay the EV part of its EV and make it less "scary" for ICE owners. Now it's being marketed more as an autopilot car than an EV. That's disappointing

On a hunch, I changed my energy-saving setting from "on" to "off" yesterday. And what do you know, this morning I find my USB stick has been scanned and is ready to play. So that's still a bug, but one with a workaround. Now instead of being unusable because it's unusable, it's unusable because scrolling through 2868 artists or 1850 albums is completely unworkable.

I'll make sure I can reproduce the bug and assuming I can, I'll send it in to Tesla. I also intend to complain about the egregious UX fail. Is servicehelpna still the gold standard for where to send your bug reports to have them ignored, or is there some better option people know of? I suppose there's @elonmusk on Twitter.
I don't know if emailing [email protected] is the "gold standard" but I find it the easiest and most effective method. It worked for people with the TuneIn problem yesterday.

Reactions: jgs
Looks like the rollout slooweeddd down :/
Hmm, to me it seems more like the slowdown of the already slowed-down slowest ever rollout :D

A bit OT but I think we would really benefit from splitting out the 8.0 discussions by topic. Right now this thread seems to be a confusing mess ...
There is an obvious desire to consolidate here, I figure it's to allow the (hundreds and hundreds of pages of) organic club discussion to happen in real-time, and for that it works pretty well.

But, in the digital world it's generally more desirable to compartmentalize information instead of merge it all together, and what we can hopefully improve is the aggressive merging of threads eg. the Dutch thread this time, which suggests we discourage separate discussions. But this is a public forum. The separate discussions are still accessible to all.

Just think of the word: thread. Around here we have more of a heavy chain culture :D Not sure why side discussions are discouraged these days, as the signal-to-noise ... ahh I've said all this before. Never mind, move along. You're not getting non-emotional Agree / Disagree buttons either and you'll like it, like our missing SC Volts / Amps which I very much enjoyed monitoring during my recent vacation -- I am simply amazed by the amount of energy surging into my car. This will be a sad loss for me, but I'm assuming we can still see via apps at least.

As for the Nav window changes, as long as you can still long-press and drop it down below (thanks Ingineer) I'm good. I dropped the Nav down during my vacation quite a bit near the end and it worked great. I also like the Nav's status windows hovering away with real-time info and if that's more difficult now I will "Dislike" it ;) but I will hold judgement until I try it, I certainly do get frustrated by the 7.x Nav's crappy pinch / squeeze that barely ever works for me and it always seems in an inappropriate zoom condition. I've just gotten used to tap tap tapping +/-.

Really surprised that "Avoid Highways" (freeways) is not in this release. Also surprised that the avoid tolls setting is buried (though I'm happy to keep it off to avoid Ontario 407 pillaging).

So I'm a point of non-data right now, no update... I geofenced in Dedham, MA... and I'm now back home on WiFi but no optional, or forced (yikes, possibly NHTSA related ???) update for me yet... and this one is coming with mixed feeling for me but I'm at least 80% excited and where I'm from that's an A :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: skialpine
Seems like more dumbing down of the car for the mass market... That's disappointing
Here's a shocker: Tesla is probably not going to be the tech enthusiast's EV in the future, so right now they are experiencing an identity crisis.

It's similar to mentioning Apple in the corporate IT department -- it will either get smiles or scowls, rarely a neutral reaction.

Apple really makes the best tech, but by making it "accessible" they end up crushing the hopes and dreams of what could be their biggest fanatics -- the techies like me (and seemingly at least half of us here). ( for the record I am platform agnostic : )

Tesla Motors' mission is to accelerate the electrification of transport, and make it accessible. Today we're just lucky that means astounding levels of amazing technology, even if they try hard to hide it from those of us who are interested.

PS - opinions stated above were heavily influenced by this article:
Apple may be shopping for car companies, but Tesla shouldn't be on its list

Though I don't totally agree with it ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: newtman
One little thing about my 8.0 update. i believe it changed my Summon "require continuous press" setting to Yes. I only figured this out when Summon wouldn't work from my keyfob. I first thought I was just using it wrong.

I've noticed that summon and autopilot and other features will often default back to off for each release in order to have you re-accept the terms of the "beta" agreement for the feature or to acknowledge the safety considerations. This would be especially likely if they changed the language of the terms in any way.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Zero updates on ev-fw.com this morning. I would say that they likely stopped the rollout for now, either to give Tesla employees Sunday off -- likely had some people manning the desks in case people had catastrophic problems with the installation, or due to some issue with .108.

Posted a new video to show the an instance of what the nag interval could be, also what happens when you ignore the BEEPS.

Thank you for posting. I like at 1:06 how the car in front of the car in front of you shows up. The radar indeed can see 2 cars in front of you and I'm sure when the closer car pulls into other lane, the transition to auto-distance to the more distant car is likely a smoother transition now.

Sailing boats usually have radar reflectors mounted in the mast I believe. Bicyclists should have radar reflectors as well.
I see one person rated this "funny". I wonder why. It makes perfect sense to me, no fooling, assuming the radar reflector can be made small enough. Hell, I'd buy one.

And people said skeumorphism was dead.
Apparently it's only useful skeumorphism that's dead. Irritating eye candy is still very much alive. :-(

This will be a popular decal for Tesla owners with Children or Pets. :cool:

View attachment 196067
Anybody who thinks 105F counts as "Air conditioning is ON" is NOT invited to be my HVAC contractor. I generally keep my thermostat set a bit lower.

At this point, all of my new music is from Apple Music so I can't load that to a USB stick
Why not?

They F**kin' took the amps and volts off the IC and CID when supercharging! It was in the Beta, but now it only shows mi/hr, kWh, and kW. No amps. No volts.
Oh gross. Because you're not supposed to worry your pretty little head I suppose. But absolutely fabulous skeumorphic cartoon so it's all good.

Really? How does it fix it for someone without a smartphone, or with a non-Apple smartphone? Nope, they need to develop their own system so that it is available to everyone.
They could just buy a smartphone for anyone for whom this is actually a problem. A basic smartphone is cheap enough. I kid, but only a little.

It's similar to mentioning Apple in the corporate IT department -- it will either get smiles or scowls, rarely a neutral reaction.

Apple really makes the best tech, but by making it "accessible" they end up crushing the hopes and dreams of what could be their biggest fanatics -- the techies like me (and seemingly at least half of us here). ( for the record I am platform agnostic : )
Wait, you said "IT department" and then you said "techies". Which is it?

• Funny
Reactions: Lex
As for the camera/nav thing, I've always used the "drag the icon to where I want it" method so I don't even notice the change.

Finally, an observation I haven't seen from anyone else – it's now possible to engage autopilot from a full stop, if hill hold is engaged instead of having your foot on the brake. By this I mean, when stopped at a stop sign or light behind another vehicle, I doubt it would work without a vehicle in front of you. In 7.1, if the brake was engaged at all, including with hill hold, AP wouldn't engage.

They F**kin' took the amps and volts off the IC and CID when supercharging!
It was in the Beta, but now it only shows mi/hr, kWh, and kW. No amps. No volts.

pic

That is disappointing - maybe that's how they plan on eliminating all the calls they're getting this year about sub-par supercharger performance - hide it? The easiest way for me to tell it was time to unplug and move to an adjacent charger was monitoring the amps. I assume that for now it is still visible in the phone app?
EDIT: Is that KW an instantaneous or average reading?
Mike

I understand this change. So many people reporting concerns about low voltage when it's a function of SOC.
kW is really all that's necessary. It makes it more difficult to reverse engineer pack configs though.

Not happy about this change to remove the Volts & Amps from the display when super charging.
Many Superchargers in California have been slow charging and we need the data for reporting to Tesla. :(

As for the camera/nav thing, I've always used the "drag the icon to where I want it" method so I don't even notice the change.

Finally, an observation I haven't seen from anyone else – it's now possible to engage autopilot from a full stop, if hill hold is engaged instead of having your foot on the brake. By this I mean, when stopped at a stop sign or light behind another vehicle, I doubt it would work without a vehicle in front of you. In 7.1, if the brake was engaged at all, including with hill hold, AP wouldn't engage.

I am able to engage AP while stopped with auto-hold and have not yet been graced with 8.0.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex
With what seems like the very slow start/stop deployment of 8.0, and Elon having set the tone the rollout wouldn't be en-masse like other big releases from the past, I am more of the opinion what is going on is final test and/or perhaps back-end system load balancing using the live fleet. I don't want to think Tesla is running into big unconsidered problems, but what we out here in the fleet are seeing is strange if there was a complete EAP with perhaps 700 to 1000 vehicles as has been reported for past major releases.

A Theory: Perhaps Tesla is focused on analyzing/tweaking the new or changed AP data collection, and any real-world changes to logging being sent back to the mothership. That work either requires they add more capacity than anticipated or fix something else at the mothership, and/or further refine what is being collected by the fleet.

Like all of us, IDK for sure, and am just guessing from the sidelines what the reasons for this enlongated start/stop approach could be. Any other theories what Tesla may be tweaking as real fleet deployment grows -- beyond fixing something that is broken?

Reactions: NikeWings
On theory: Elon mentioned 'learning' as new radar based AI decision system requires some tuning on new data, because, in sense - all previous data is more or less obsolete.
Thus, perhaps, they analyze statistics, comparing that to what they already have with 7.1 and also make that mentioned 'learning tuning' of decision algorithms.
I don't have tesla - so cannot say how 'learning' update was going with either 7.0 or 7.1 but I seen reports that in a week previous versions of AP made better decisions that in initial release.
So it looks like in a week or so there should be some new updates and more widespread push of 8.0

My suspicion is that everyone updated up to today was the originally intended "wave 1" from Wednesday night, delayed a little due to the .106 -> .108 hiccup. I think they need a little bit of time to see if 8.0 has any regressions and make tweaks (either minor or major) before opening the floodgates again.

The updates trickling to a stop over a weekend doesn't particularly concern me.

Reactions: liuping