Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the point though. Tesla owners are Tesla's sales force. By giving owners features they actually want and request, they make us more excited to tell others about the car. And by having the features people actually want, you help draw in a potential owner that is making a decision by what features are available. Tesla needs include the good features everyone else has, as well as the features that set them apart.
Yes! Old saying in marketing that "your current customers are your best customers". Somehow they know that because they keep renewing the referrals program, but then they ignore it and do a lot of silly stuff while ignoring the basics.

Playlists have been around for maybe 30yrs, but Tesla can't figure out how to implement them.

It's just not a professionally run company and they need to figure out how to become one or they're going to be run over when the big guys show up in 3-4yrs. The first mover advantage is not really a big advantage; particularly when they decide to spread themselves so thin across so many areas. Elon needs his "Next" experience to become Steve Jobs. Unfortunately, Tesla might be his "Next".

We make it a check box, easy peasy. Everyone is happy.

Well, except for the guy that hates having more check boxes. He's screwed.

I really do like configurability as a user, but a software guy, adding more configuration options is a pain, on a lot of levels. Primarily, it's one more the way that your system (car) might behave differently from my car, so anyone trying to troubleshoot problems has one more variable to consider. There can be issues of screen real estate trying to place the configuration option on the screen. Configuration variables need to be stored somewhere, and there's that issue of forward and backward compatibility, settings defaults, etc. Someone has to document the behavior in all the different ways it can happen. Clearly we've been dealing with this in the software world for a long time, and it's not rocket science, but it's not as trivial as it first sounds and there's a lot of little details.

That's why everything on the car should just work the way *I* want. :)

Bruce.

I really do like configurability as a user, but a software guy, adding more configuration options is a pain, on a lot of levels. Primarily, it's one more the way that your system (car) might behave differently from my car, so anyone trying to troubleshoot problems has one more variable to consider. There can be issues of screen real estate trying to place the configuration option on the screen. Configuration variables need to be stored somewhere, and there's that issue of forward and backward compatibility, settings defaults, etc. Someone has to document the behavior in all the different ways it can happen. Clearly we've been dealing with this in the software world for a long time, and it's not rocket science, but it's not as trivial as it first sounds and there's a lot of little details.
Sorry, but adding a check box option and saving the parameter is basic programming, basic configuration management. If that is too hard for Tesla programmers, we're screwed.

It is not hard, it is just not a priority, so it's not getting done.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex

That's why everything on the car should just work the way *I* want. :)

Bruce.
I found the guy that doesn't like more check boxes. But seriously, it needs to be added since summon already takes mirrors into account and folds them upon entry and exit of the garage.

FWIW, I also want my car to work like bmah wants it to.

Sorry, but adding a check box option and saving the parameter is basic programming, basic configuration management. If that is too hard for Tesla programmers, we're screwed.

It is not hard, it is just not a priority, so it's not getting done.

I know it's frustrating but it's well known in software development that every preference checkbox adds extra testing and possible regressions.

Thanks for confirming that embedded cover art now works in 8.0 (and that an external folder.jpg file does not get displayed.)

By the way, it's not easy to find a tag editor that supports embedding cover art for FLAC files on Mac OS, but xACT seems to work well and is free. It looks like MP3Tag will do the job on Windows, and might even work on Mac OS with a wrapped version.
You can always run a VM of Windows (gasp!).
Oh no, I prefer my mirrors not fold when the doors open. :(
Hence the word 'option'. It could be a checkbox much like opening the garage door.

I don't know why the geolocation folding mirrors still hasn't been implemented. All they need is an option within HomeLink to folder mirrors while in geolocation. The can use the same code for the smart suspension.

As long as it is an option or coded to make sure my mirrors don't unfold until it outside my garage (when auto homelink closes my garage door) or else I'll lose a mirror pulling out.

NOW INCLUDE THE MIRRORS FOLDING WITH THE GARAGE DOOR GOING UP.
I don't think it is as simple as a checkbox for fold/not fold when Homelink is activated. In my situation, whether I press the Homelink button depends on whether I'm first leaving for work/arriving home -- in other words, random. Worse, since there is no Homelink "Open" and "Close", it is just "Toggle", half of the time the folding would happen as I leave.

For my use case, it needs to be tied to the GPS rather than Homelink. Now we need two checkboxes. :) And, as a fellow software guy, I'm with @bmah -- it is never as easy as it sounds.

That said, I'd love to have an "about:config" panel to tweak to my heart's content.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex and DÆrik
Playlists have been around for maybe 30yrs, but Tesla can't figure out how to implement them.
TSLA has intentionally back loaded this stuff. All of their disruptive energies were focused on leapfrogging with enough massive change to make it difficult for traditional competitors to quickly imitate. DONE. While in this state, they target least price sensitive customers with strong tech and performance inclinations vs traditional creatures of comfort, DONE, followed by movement into mainstream markets where the deployment of tech shifts away from improving performance (100kWh) to improving cost per unit (M3). IN PROGRESS. The old fluffy stuff comes as mass production kicks in and lowers costs of mainstream wants. Then we'll be complaining about the delay in 0-60 < 1 sec. ;)

Personally as an end user, I think supercharger instantaneous kW is the more useful unit anyway, because I'm not that great at multiplying in my head. But I certainly understand from the enthusiast perspective why voltage/current displays are helpful.

They still look like they appear over the API as the app shows it.
Gosh, I really like the mph rating and use RemoteS app more than Tesla app when I'm charging specifically because it shows that and nothing else does. That's easy math to me

I know it's frustrating but it's well known in software development that every preference checkbox adds extra testing and possible regressions.
Every feature adds extra testing and regressions. That is just part of the process. In the grand scheme of a system as complex as the Model S software, a checkbox for an option is relatively trivial. I'm not saying it's free, but it is int the noise of the other tests, etc.

Limiting user to doing things only one way because it's a little more work to make it flexible is not a good way to make your users happy.

In the case of auto folding mirror when auto opening the garage, it clearly may not work for some people, while it probably works fine for most people. Forcing everyone to not have auto folding mirrors because of a few cases don't work is silly. And forcing the minority group to have to deal with folding mirror when they don't want them (or have to manually unfold them every time they pull into the garage) it wrong as well. Making it an option is the only way that makes sense.

Gosh, I really like the mph rating and use RemoteS app more than Tesla app when I'm charging specifically because it shows that and nothing else does. That's easy math to me

One flaw with the MPH rating in the car and on the official app is that it's time-averaged to when you started charging. As a result, it's not as good for detecting that charging rate suddenly reduced, or has started tapering, etc etc etc.

Reactions: CHG-ON