Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused about the media payer display. Sometimes it shows "favorites" and "recent" and other times it shows "favorites" and "top stations". I can't figure out why it shows which one, or how to get back to "recent" when the display showss "top stations". What am I missing?

I do have a data point about when album art is displayed in USB-- some of my USB music was downloaded from hdtracks.com and those albums do show the album cover when playing each track. The folder of the album contains a PDF of the album art in addition to a flac file of each track. I don't know how it's tagged as I dont know how to look for it without a tagging software.
I wish they would add bookmarks next to recent and favorites.....

Swipe/drag up when it's showing top stations and it'll bring up favorites.

While showing favorites swipe/drag down, and it'll show top stations.

I don't know how/why it chooses to randomly show them, but I agree, it's annoying that it doesn't stick to my last preference.
That part I got. What I can't find is how to get to the view that shows the words "favorites" and "recent" next to each other and I can tap which one to display. If top stations are displayed I can't get back to "recent" with any swiping.

Same here. At least it's not as often as my damn iPhone keeps prompting me to update to iOS 10.whatever. And it takes two steps each time to dismiss it. Yesterday, it prompted me TWICE within 30 minutes. STFU, Apple!

I'll upgrade to your next even-crappier OS when I'm good and ready, and when you've worked out all the bugs!!

(that applies for both Apple and Tesla).
I thought you said you weren't going to complain about 8.0.. :)

I have seen people complain about the map hiding the top menu row and it now requires an extra tap to achieve any functions that require that menu (which I also found annoying). I have not read through the 179 pages, so maybe it was already mentioned -- apologies in that case, but I found a limited work-around for this problem:

I used to have the map on top and the camera below as my usual default setup (others views such as media / energy chart used only for short time periods, then switching back). I now found that if I reverse these two, having the camera on top and map below, then the top menu bar stays on permanently. For me, this is an acceptable work-around to have the menu available without the extra tap.

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer
For me, this is an acceptable work-around to have the menu available without the extra tap.

Sigh! It is not acceptable to make new compromises just because of the whims of someone who clearly does not understand UI design.

One of the peculiar reasons why I don't like the maps hiding the status bar and app icons is because last time Service had the MCU out to upgrade the cell radio to LTE they mounted it back crooked and despite my subsequent pleas to straighten it they didn't. At least the black background of the status bar and app icons was hiding the slant. Now I have to run the MCU on night mode even during the day with the maps up so it doesn't remind me constantly of how terrible service can be and how inept I am of pursuing them to do their job right.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
Anybody had bluetooth phone connectivity problem ?
Since the 8.0 upgrade, I am unable to pair my Nexus-5 phone to the Tesla, it used to work fine for 2 years, but now it s no longer recognized. I tried to make it forget the connection and pair again, but it just fails and reports unable to connect.
The device is recognized, i.e. it find the Nexus-5, but the connection fails.

Since the 8.0 upgrade, I am unable to pair my Nexus-5 phone to the Tesla, it used to work fine for 2 years, but now it s no longer recognized. I tried to make it forget the connection and pair again, but it just fails and reports unable to connect.
Reboot both, full power cycle. My N5 does the same.

• Informative
Reactions: ZsoZso
I admit if I dug around I could probably find the answer in old threads but I thought I'd take the easy way out and ask whether anyone knows whether Tesla service will install the latest firmware on a visit to their service center even if the owner asks that they do not? I suppose the answer is "yes" and of course the firmware in question is 8.0. I'm scheduled to bring the car in to mount snow tires in mid-November.

Thanks.

• Helpful
I admit if I dug around I could probably find the answer in old threads but I thought I'd take the easy way out and ask whether anyone knows whether Tesla service will install the latest firmware on a visit to their service center even if the owner asks that they do not? I suppose the answer is "yes" and of course the firmware in question is 8.0. I'm scheduled to bring the car in to mount snow tires in mid-November.

Thanks.
I've read several reports in the past year+ here that owners have specifically requested no updates be done, and they were not.

FWIW, I think owners taking that position then have to be reasonable and also realize that perhaps fixes to some problems or something one reports may not be able to be resolved, and as time goes on, those sort of things will be harder for Tesla to deal with as a "one-off" when most of the fleet is on more current firmware --- again, only IF the owner has a problem of some sort where firmware may be involved. That's likely not a big deal for most, or in your case just changing out tires, but something at least for consideration.

• Helpful
I've read several reports in the past year+ here that owners have specifically requested no updates be done, and they were not.

FWIW, I think owners taking that position then have to be reasonable and also realize that perhaps fixes to some problems or something one reports may not be able to be resolved, and as time goes on, those sort of things will be harder for Tesla to deal with as a "one-off" when most of the fleet is on more current firmware --- again, only IF the owner has a problem of some sort where firmware may be involved. That's likely not a big deal for most, or in your case just changing out tires, but something at least for consideration.

Thanks! Just to be clear, I'm not in the camp of avoiding 8.0 forever, and my reason for avoiding it is not the nags. With the passage of time, and having read all the anecdotes on this board, I've come to trust AP less, so while I don't have a hand on the wheel 100% of the time I do so most of the time: certainly enough to satisfy nags.

My reasons are first, that the lanekeeping ability of autosteer appears to have deteriorated. There have been so many reports on this board that for me it has past the point of being anecdotal and is now data. Second, there are all the interface and entertainment system issues that have been reported on TMC and in the Youtube videos I've seen.

Clearly the TACC function in AP is better, which makes it better and safer in stop-and-go commuting situations. But I don't use the car to commute, so what I really care about in terms of AP is autosteer, which is fine as it is.

So I was hoping to wait for either dot-releases that fix some of these issues, or for 8.1. Finally, I haven't been bothered by having to reject installs: my LTE coverage is poor in my garage, which is where almost all my car's time being parked is spent. The car is connected to my WiFi, but I simply set my router to block its internet access.;)

It would not be the end of the world if the service center installed 8.0 on my car a month from now but way things stand now, I'd rather they wouldn't.

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer and BertL
Last year I strongly requested the SC not update my car to 7.x from 6.2 because of many of the issues back then. But my car needed a drive unit replacement, so they were forced to update all the firmware. It was basically my choice -- replace a faulty (but not failed) drive unit or stay on 6.2. Obviously, that's not much of a choice. When I go back in for the annual service in March, I will once again ask them if at all possible, please don't update the firmware. But I think those days are over. If your car goes in for service, I'm sure one of the checkboxes is update and confirm firmware. I would guess only under extreme circumstances they wouldn't do the upgrade. Tesla wants everyone on the latest firmware, so that makes bug reporting and troubleshooting much easier without cars out there with hundreds of different builds. So you can ask, beg and plead (I hear donuts and pizza help!), but there's no assurances they won't update the firmware. Good luck.

• Informative
My iPhone connects but I am having a problem getting the car to connect to my Internet at home. I was able to connect to two router/access points, but with the 8.0 upgrade I cannot connect.

I had to look that one up. Thank you. It was my word-of-the-day! Who says an older guy can't learn something new? :D (Seriously, thanks for a constructive post.)
Ha! Now I forget what I posted!

My mother was a vocabulary and grammar fanatic. She taught me well. At 58, it still cracks me up that I have this ridiculous lexicon of words that some people have never heard. Like (my absolute favorite): perspicacity. We should all have it.

Look that baby up!

When 7.0 came out, my service center said they can honor my request NOT to update my firmware as long as any parts they are replacing are not directly software controlled. So my handles being adjusted and the left trunk strut being replaced didn't need a firmware flash. But changing the right trunk strut (the electric one instead of the pneumatic one) would require a firmware flash. Same with changing the drive unit, but not needed for rotating tires, replacing seals, etc.

But as Hank said, Tesla wants people on the later firmwares and will only work with you so far to avoid updating.

• Helpful
We bought into the experience whatever it is and are in for the ride, as bumpy as it may be. Trying instead to concentrate on enjoying the improvements and thread less on the hick-ups. It will never be perfect. Missed opportunities galore, maybe we should start our own EV company :)

My car is also having a harder time connecting to my Wi-Fi access point, have to try a few times. This may be why it didn't get 2.40.21, had to go to the service center for that.

I just reported these UI discrepancies (3. - 5.) / bugs to Tesla. Careful, cannot be unseen once you saw it ;)

Anyone else also gets the random-bug in Spotify?

1. Bug: When playing "saved" Spotify songs, and activating the random
functionality (playing songs in a random order) this works fine for a
couple of songs, until it doesn't anymore. All of a sudden, the same 4, 5
or 7 songs will get played over and over. All other songs are being
ignored. Sounds like a bug in the random logic. Please fix as soon as
possible, very annoying.

2. I've noticed that switching between songs when the Spotify player is in
the "foreground" is slower than with 7.1. Probably because now it loads the
album cover every time when you switch a song? Maybe some sort of caching
or pre-loading would help.

3. There are new symbols for TACC and the auto-steer in the front display.
TACC is now an empty circle and auto-steer is always a filled circle. When
you look at those three items: The empty TACC circle - the current speed -
the auto-steer circle - you get the optical effect that these symbols are
not on the same line, but are moving down from left to right. This is
because either a) the TACC circle is empty or b) they actually really are
not correctly aligned on the same line pixel-wise.

4. When you choose Media Player, it displays like Radio - Spotify - TuneIn
- USB - Phone or something like that in the first row. In German language
(maybe in English or other languages too) these words are not aligned to
each other, but there is a arbitrary amount of space between each word. It
looks messed up.

5. If you look at the icons at the top of the touchscreen: Media Player,
Navigation, Energy app etc. you can see that these symbols are not aligned
to each other, and are not on the same line pixel-wise. Just look at the
navigation symbol and compare it to the other symbols and you will see what
I'm talking about. It looks messed up.

Thank you for fixing these issues as soon as possible and helping in making
8.0 as great as 7.1 was!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Hi Guys,

I am not somebody who complains about software changes or UI changes, in fact, I have never complained about anything regarding the previous Tesla sofware versions, but the radio part in the new V8.0 media player (EU version 2.40.21) is a catastrophy!

- FM: There is no way to enter frequencies manually, not even a dial with frequencies like AM (or FM in the US version). It just uses a back and forward scan buttons where it only picks up very strong stations:
fm_scan.jpg

To compare, here is the AM dial where it is much easier to tune to a specific frequency:
AM_dial.jpg

- DAB (a European digital radio system): No possibility to choose a specific channel, only scan, which has the same problem: No detection of any channels with a signal less than 70%! In addition, no info is shown anymore about the current program (not to mention missing cover art on both FM & DAB!):
dab_scan.jpg

- TuneIn: Favourites are a total mess, even if you are logged in with your own account, your favourites are not ordered according to your list! They are ordered in a random list instead.

AP related changes are ok, and AP is working better than before (at least on highways), but V8.0 (especially its UI) is slowly becoming my most hated software version of all time!

The UI changes in V8.0 seem to follow the general "dumbification" of the user interface being introduced these days (not a Tesla specific problem), but Tesla should really listen and address the degraded user experience of V8.0 ASAP, because there is no way I can consider this an upgrade!