Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if I missed this, as I have just updated to 17.3.15, and I have a warning indicating that Driver Assistance is not Available (see attached). Is this a calibration issue situation? Anyone with HW2 and this firmware experiencing this please?

Attachments

• IMG_9276.JPG
    IMG_9276.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 92
Drove to Mammoth yesterday on 2.52.22 (HW1). Got the nag constantly on some stretches, as frequently as every 30 seconds. Sometimes while my hands where clearly on the wheel. Other times it was more reasonable.

A couple of things that I do not recall from before. These could be old, and I just was not paying attention. Are these new:
-Did the charge port light always blink super fast when supercharging?
-I noticed that a long press of an icon puts my selection at the top of the screen.

Drove to Mammoth yesterday on 2.52.22 (HW1). Got the nag constantly on some stretches, as frequently as every 30 seconds. Sometimes while my hands where clearly on the wheel. Other times it was more reasonable.

A couple of things that I do not recall from before. These could be old, and I just was not paying attention. Are these new:
-Did the charge port light always blink super fast when supercharging?
-I noticed that a long press of an icon puts my selection at the top of the screen.

The rate at which the light blinks has been related to how far down the battery you are for a long time - mostly empty blinks very fast and it slows as the battery fills.

Can anyone confirm the behavior I wrote about in this post:

Firmware 8.0

I'll include that post below, for your convenience. A couple of people have said they think the behavior is normal, which makes me believe they are experiencing it too, but just don't realize that what they are experiencing is a reduction in functionality. I'd really like to hear from at least one person who remembers how this used to work, and can confirm that it no longer works that way for them as well. (I'd like to have at least some confirmation before I report this to Tesla.)

Thanks!

I think I may have discovered a new bug. I don't know when this would have changed, but the firmware I have now is 8.0(2.52.22), and the behavior is definitely different (worse) now.

In the past, if I was on a call, with the phone display in the right position on the instrument cluster, I could hold the scroll wheel in, and then select a different display, like power. I didn't do this often, because I didn't often need to see the power display while on the phone, but I definitely did this occasionally, so that I could see if my regen limit had gone away yet or not. Well, I tried to do that today, while on the phone, and all I managed to do was disconnect the call. Pressing in on the scroll wheel does not bring up the menu of other options, as it did in the past.

When I reached my destination I rebooted both the 17" display and the IC, and tested this again. (Thanks, Mom!) Still no luck. There is no simply no way to change the display while the phone is in use.

After writing the above, I realized that perhaps this bug also affected the ability to move the nav off the left side of the IC once it has taken over whatever is normally displayed there. I went out to the car to check, and it does not. The ability to switch from the nav, to something else, still works. So this bug only affects the phone.

I'll write this up as a bug for Tesla, and send it in to [email protected], but before I do I wanted to check to make sure others were also experiencing this, and then if that is the case, to see if anyone might be able to help pinpoint what version of the firmware introduced this bug.

Thanks!

Can anyone confirm the behavior I wrote about in this post:

Firmware 8.0

I'll include that post below, for your convenience. A couple of people have said they think the behavior is normal, which makes me believe they are experiencing it too, but just don't realize that what they are experiencing is a reduction in functionality. I'd really like to hear from at least one person who remembers how this used to work, and can confirm that it no longer works that way for them as well. (I'd like to have at least some confirmation before I report this to Tesla.)

Thanks!

Confirmed I see the same behavior. Not sure it's a bug in the strict sense of the word, since Tesla may have intentionally changed this behavior, but I like the way it worked before better as well.

@Andyw2100 -- I believe this "issue" first arrived with 8.0 and it was a deliberate choice by Tesla. Whether than be considered a "bug" is up for debate. I think it definitely doesn't make much sense so I would report it as a bug. I believe it has been discussed in the Tesla forums because people keep hanging up on people they are calling.

I just sent the following email message to [email protected]:

--
Dear Sirs and Madams,

I am writing to report a bug I just noticed in firmware version 8.0(2.52.22). This bug may have been introduced in an earlier firmware release, but if so, I did not notice it.

In the past, if on an active call, one could press and hold the scroll wheel, and bring up a different “app” on the instrument cluster instead of the phone app that is placed there by default whenever the phone is in use. This was useful, as I often did this if I wanted to be able to see whether or not my regenerative braking limit had gone away yet or not. Those of us that drive in cold climates like to know whether we have full regenerative braking available or not, as it affects the way we reduce the speed of the car.

I discovered yesterday that while on a call, it is no longer possible to change away from the phone app on the right side of the instrument cluster. Holding the scroll wheel does nothing.

I did try rebooting my display, which did not help. Then I checked with others on the Tesla Motors Club forums. Others are experiencing the same behavior.

It would be great if we could once again change “apps” while on a call, as we used to be able to do.

Thanks very much for passing this along to the correct department.

Sincerely,

Thanks again, Marc!

Been thinking about it and I believe the behavior changed when they started displaying active phone connections full time on the right hand side. Previously I think it would only display phone info "temporarily" - even if you were in a call - and then revert back to whatever you had chosen to display on that side.

This also could've been the same time they took away "Audio Source" from the MENU selections for the right scroll wheel?

Was all this changed in 8.0?

Been thinking about it and I believe the behavior changed when they started displaying active phone connections full time on the right hand side. Previously I think it would only display phone info "temporarily" - even if you were in a call - and then revert back to whatever you had chosen to display on that side.

Perhaps I am mistaken about this, but I don't recall the phone info ever going away on its own while on an active call. Admittedly, I could have missed it.

I only noticed the issue yesterday, because as I wrote in my message to Tesla, I wanted to be able to check on my regen limit, and found I could not. It seems quite wrong, and potentially a little dangerous to not give us the ability to see whether or not regen is limited at any point that we want that information. Is the power display available on the left side? (I know some things are and some things aren't, and I just don't know about that one.) I guess if the power display --CAN-- be brought up on the left side of the IC my last point is not valid.

Is the power display available on the left side? (I know some things are and some things aren't, and I just don't know about that one.) I guess if the power display --CAN-- be brought up on the left side of the IC my last point is not valid.

Yes it can - as a matter of fact I just put mine there when out and about a few minutes ago.

I just remember I used to have press buttons to bring up "END CALL" and now END CALL is up all the time when I'm in a phone call.

Yes it can - as a matter of fact I just put mine there when out and about a few minutes ago.

Thanks. i guess that may be my work-around if Tesla won't return the old functionality, or until they do.

I just remember I used to have press buttons to bring up "END CALL" and now END CALL is up all the time when I'm in a phone call.

Now that you put it that way, I think you are right about that part of it--the fact that "end call" is available all the time, and didn't used to be. But is it possible that THAT aspect of it changed, and previously the phone app was still the active app, but was displaying, say, a status instead of options? For example, could it have simply been displaying the number or contact that had been dialed?

Now that you put it that way, I think you are right about that part of it--the fact that "end call" is available all the time, and didn't used to be. But is it possible that THAT aspect of it changed, and previously the phone app was still the active app, but was displaying, say, a status instead of options? For example, could it have simply been displaying the number or contact that had been dialed?

Yes, that could be. I'm honestly struggling to remember.

Perhaps I am mistaken about this, but I don't recall the phone info ever going away on its own while on an active call. Admittedly, I could have missed it.

I only noticed the issue yesterday, because as I wrote in my message to Tesla, I wanted to be able to check on my regen limit, and found I could not. It seems quite wrong, and potentially a little dangerous to not give us the ability to see whether or not regen is limited at any point that we want that information. Is the power display available on the left side? (I know some things are and some things aren't, and I just don't know about that one.) I guess if the power display --CAN-- be brought up on the left side of the IC my last point is not valid.

Even so, there's the slightly lesser point in that if you really need to see the regen limit, you now have to remember that if you're in a call you need to do something different than if you're not in a call. That's one more thing to remember and takes a little bit more of your attention, which isn't a good thing when you're driving down the road.

Bruce.

Reactions: Andyw2100
All of this discussion of subtle UI things is utterly pointless now. 8.1 is a month overdue and certainly coming soon. Nobody at Tesla is going to be doing anything about 8.0 UI stuff. Critical bugs, maybe.

It's not pointless at all.

Assuming Tesla agrees this is a bug, and further assuming that it had not yet been identified, there'd be no reason to assume it wouldn't also be in 8.1. Letting Tesla know about this issue, as I did, could get it corrected in the initial 8.1 release, or in a future 8.1 release.

And if for some reason Tesla thinks it is not a bug, but rather a "feature", perhaps my message will get them to start thinking more about that.

Reactions: Cyclone and jgs
Me too!

@MarcG--HELP US! :)

The way I remember it working prior to 8.0 was as follows:

1. Call is placed/received, right side of IC changed to phone app
2. Clicking the right scroll wheel once brought a context menu to mute/end call etc.
3. Scrolling the wheel (instead of clicking it) acted per usual, based on your default function (vent/open sunroof, change climate temp, vent speed, display brightness, etc)
3. Tapping the button below the right scroll wheel brought up the menu selection for the scroll wheel control (vent/open sunroof, change climate temp, vent speed, display brightness, etc)
4. Holding the scroll wheel brought up the app selection menu
5. Scrolling the left wheel changed volume, pressing it once muted you, holding it brought up the app selection for the left side of the IC

I'm pretty sure this would be in the 7.x manual somewhere, let me try to find it for you guys.