Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I found was the speed limit sign also got LARGER when the speed limit plus offset was exceeded.

Was that always there, and I just didn't notice it?

That's been there for a long time, although the difference in size between the "small" speed limit sign and the "large" one got bigger in 8.0. In 7.1 and before it was hard to tell the difference between the two.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
When I took my first Tesla test ride in a P85D, the speed limit warning was there. The test car was set up to do the
visual warning but also it can be an audible alarm as well. I have no idea what software version that was, but it was about
2 months after the P85D began being produced, perhaps early 2015?

If you touch on Radio -> Streaming, it showed up for me in the last below, near the top radio stations. I'm not near my car right now, or I'd provide a picture.

It also seems that the Favorites Radio station is based on your favorites, but doesn't contain exclusively your favorites.

Thanks. But I looked again today and found no Favorites station. Reading the Owner's Manual again, it looks as if the Favorites station is only in your "personal" Slacker account. I have never had a personal Slacker account, only the free account provided by Tesla.
So it sounds as if one must subscribe to Slacker in order to make use of this new feature. Whether that can be the free Slacker service or must be one of the paid services, is not clear.

(As a minor point for anyone else who is looking for this, Radio and Streaming are two separate menu items.)

Ok so I've driven about 900 miles since I got 8.1. Tbh I haven't spent that much time with 8.0 because I just got my car from the body shop a few weeks ago, so some of these observations may not be 8.1 specific.

Lane acquisition is def worse. It's most pronounced in the morning, which could be affected by the changing position of the morning sun. But I've noticed a difference in all times of the day, even accounting for the quality of the paint. It loses one side at a time frequently, but occasionally loses both and just followed the lead car. I wish it would alert me when it loses lanes and switches to following only the lead car. Its especially bad when the divider/wall/pillar is close to the lane marker. I also don't like that if its just using one lane marker it tends to move towards the other side instead of staying close to the lane line it has acquired.

Probably not related to 8.1, but it likes white lines waaaay better than yellow lines. In fact, if I'm in the fast lane next to the carpool lane, it will use the white line that is inside the carpool lane instead of one of the double-double yellow lines on the outer side of the carpool lane. As a result, it tries to keep the car driving basically on top of the yellow lines in thus scenario. If I'm in the carpool lane and the left line is yellow, it had a lot of trouble acquiring that lane marker.

There's a thread on "nudging" the steering wheel while on autosteer. In general I can nudge a slight amount and still keep autosteer active. However, I've noticed that if it loses a lane marker on one side and just has 1 lane marker acquired, then I can nudge it to a much larger degree and move the steering wheel a lot more than if it has both lane lines. Prob not a 8.1 thing, but I just noticed it now because I keep losing lane markers more often.

I don't really use auto park, but since 8.1 I've still not been able to get the car to recognize a parking spot, so I haven't even been able to use it once since 8.1.

Keep the posts coming! Very interested in other people's experiences.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcG
Thanks. But I looked again today and found no Favorites station. Reading the Owner's Manual again, it looks as if the Favorites station is only in your "personal" Slacker account. I have never had a personal Slacker account, only the free account provided by Tesla.
So it sounds as if one must subscribe to Slacker in order to make use of this new feature. Whether that can be the free Slacker service or must be one of the paid services, is not clear.

(As a minor point for anyone else who is looking for this, Radio and Streaming are two separate menu items.)

Strange. I've never used a personal Slacker account before. I have logged in with the credentials that Tesla provided me that were for the car.

But thank you for providing the clarification. I meant to write Music -> Streaming :)

It's probably just my imagination, but Autopilot on the far follow distances (i.e., 7), seems to have a better braking experience now.

I use it daily on I-405 from Long Beach to 90W. Previously, it seemed to brake harder / earlier. I'm wondering if they relaxed the nature of it because before it seemed to be too conservative.

Anyone else notice anything different with braking on the follow distances?

So where is this so-called "Favorites station?" The release notes say that there is now a streaming station that contains all one's favorites. That sounds like a great idea so I wanted to try it. After I installed 8.1 (17.11.10), I looked for such a station and did not see one in my list of Favorites. So I designated a song as a "Favorite," using the thumbs-up, thinking that might prompt the appearance of a Favorites station, but still did not find one.
The updated onboard owner's manual does not seem clear on this point.
Has anyone else actually found a Favorites station? If so, where is it? And did you have to do something to get it to appear?
Thanks!
It shows up as a new channel in Streaming under Top Stations section called Favorites Radio......way on the left with a thumbs up avatar. it just appeared, I did nothing.

Probably not related to 8.1, but it likes white lines waaaay better than yellow lines. In fact, if I'm in the fast lane next to the carpool lane, it will use the white line that is inside the carpool lane instead of one of the double-double yellow lines on the outer side of the carpool lane. As a result, it tries to keep the car driving basically on top of the yellow lines in thus scenario. If I'm in the carpool lane and the left line is yellow, it had a lot of trouble acquiring that lane marker.

There's a thread on "nudging" the steering wheel while on autosteer. In general I can nudge a slight amount and still keep autosteer active. However, I've noticed that if it loses a lane marker on one side and just has 1 lane marker acquired, then I can nudge it to a much larger degree and move the steering wheel a lot more than if it has both lane lines. Prob not a 8.1 thing, but I just noticed it now because I keep losing lane markers more often.

Totally agree with that. I hate that I can't drive in the lane next to the Carpool lane most of the time, because the car will keep driving on the solid yellow lines because it thinks it's in the center of the lane since it takes the inside white line of the HOV lane as reference. I wish this can be fixed soon.

Got it! Thanks for making it clear!
(I tried to upload a photo, but got am error message that the image file is too large.)

So you DID find it? If you take Media Player full screen you will see it. You can then select it and then make it a favorite or at least that's the way it worked for me...

• Helpful
Reactions: David29