Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes but I wish it would drive smoother. I drive so much smoother in traffic than the AP1 does and so my gf always asks me to drive in traffic or she will get sick :/ Now I am not sure, should I get rid of the AP or my girl :p

Haha good one... well you don't need to get rid of AP just yet, have you tried increasing the following distance? I found that to smoothen the stop-and-go jerkiness. Of course, this means more space left so more opportunity to be cut off by other cars..

Reactions: JenniferQ
Haha good one... well you don't need to get rid of AP just yet, have you tried increasing the following distance? I found that to smoothen the stop-and-go jerkiness. Of course, this means more space left so more opportunity to be cut off by other cars..
Hey, when I am in this safer mode (distance set to 6 or 7), I almost want to put up a bright LED marquee on the rear window that goes "SAFE TO FOLLOW AP1" or "SAFE TO CUT AP1".

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
If I'm in the far right lane, its only because I plan to exit........ :D This should be the springboard for our long awaited off ramp capability.
If the lane markers are lost in the middle lanes, AP typically operates as you wish.
I haven't seen lane markers lost in the middle or left lanes that I can recall - usually it's the right lane widening for an exit/deceleration lane.

Many of the interstates I routinely travel are two lanes, so if you aren't in the right lane, you're one of those dingbats who doesn't understand "keep right except to pass"! :D:mad:

I haven't seen lane markers lost in the middle or left lanes that I can recall - usually it's the right lane widening for an exit/deceleration lane.

Lane restriping is a permanent problem in our golden state, resulting in lost or no lane markers across multiple lanes at a time. For the most part, AP can power through until striping resumes.

Many of the interstates I routinely travel are two lanes, so if you aren't in the right lane, you're one of those dingbats who doesn't understand "keep right except to pass"! :D:mad:

As charming as they may be, your frequented two lane interstates are clearly torturing you. Either your car is diving off the exit ramps to the right, or being passed by ding bats on the left. o_O:D:rolleyes: Have you considered moving?

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ
Hm. I find the diving off to the right is markedly better and has been for some time. Maybe our roads are just better marked down here? But regardless, for autonomous vehicles to work 100% of the time the roads are going to have to be marked well, right? Or will the cars of the future just 'ping' off each other and drive more Roman-style one day, ignoring the need for lanes altogether???

Oddly enough, after my positive comments yesterday, I had some AP wierdness last night on secondary (non-divided) roads. 2 or 3 times the car started lunging back and forth. :eek: Luckily I had my hands on the wheel to yank it back.

However, on that same road, there was one spot that always tripped up 2.52.22. The road crests a small hill and beds to the left, causing AP to loose sight of the lane markings after the hill (and therefore not realizing the road bends). 2.52.22 would always drift off towards the shoulder, forcing me to take over before it went off the road (there's maybe a foot of a shoulder before it drops steeply 5-6 feet - no margin for error). 17.14.23 seems to be better behaved at this point, but I've only tried it once or twice.

That also doesn't match my experience with 17.11.10 which I just took a 340ish mile trip a couple days ago. It was as solid as before. I do occasionally have problems at stoplights if there is a curve approaching it or no other cars around except for a stopped one that is already stopped at the stoplight.
Thank you to those who responded. I'll wait for one more OTA update to see if anything improves. If not, I'll bring it to service.

FWIW I turned in my 17.4.14 AP1 car two weeks ago, and this week fate would have me in an AP1 loaner running 17.14.23…. Could not notice any appreciable difference. Still feels pretty solid, but same old post-2.52.xx AP1. Does well in most situations minus where hills and curves mix or trucks straddle the lane lines.

Got 17.14.23 two days ago. Now i notice a double bell ringing every time i exceed the offset speed limit. I liked when it was a single bell in 2.52.22 and the previous releases, but this double bell is just annoying. If they don't fix it, i might just have to disable the sound all together.

Got 17.14.23 two days ago. Now i notice a double bell ringing every time i exceed the offset speed limit. I liked when it was a single bell in 2.52.22 and the previous releases, but this double bell is just annoying. If they don't fix it, i might just have to disable the sound all together.
Speaking of annoying double bells, I've found that I can't use Autosteer on trips when my passengers are taking a nap, because there is no way to disable those (loud) bells when AP is turned on or off. They definitely will wake anyone who's sleeping. In that situation, I have to force myself to remember to only activate TACC with one pull on the stalk, not a double-pull. When I've gotten it wrong, I will inevitably need to deactivate AP at some point, and then have to explain what that noise was, and how nothing's actually wrong with the car and no, I wasn't too close to another car and everything is OK and go back to sleep now. :eek:

FWIW I turned in my 17.4.14 AP1 car two weeks ago, and this week fate would have me in an AP1 loaner running 17.14.23…. Could not notice any appreciable difference. Still feels pretty solid, but same old post-2.52.xx AP1. Does well in most situations minus where hills and curves mix or trucks straddle the lane lines.

I just finished a trip through the Blue Ridge Mtns on I-81 and I-77. AP (HW1) was very unstable on steeper hills and seemed to veer too close to trucks positioned adjacent to my car. Very unsettling to the point that I disengaged autosteer and switched to TACC only on the hills. This is similar to many other accounts I have read for both AP1 and AP2 (to date). Intuitively, it makes sense based on my understanding of the hardware. I'm not sure if software can correct this issue for AP1 hardware. Other than the hills and heavy weather, AP has been rock solid since I purchased it last year.

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer
Does anyone still have 8.0 on a RWD car? If so, could you try disabling traction control and see if it sticks?

I noticed I can't disable traction control anymore - it turns itself right back on. I had disabled it last winter to get unstuck from some snow. The only thing that has changed since then is swapping to summer tires (the car knows, due to a different set of TPMS sensors and being told the new wheels were 21's vs 19's for being snows) and the 8.1 update.

Lane restriping is a permanent problem in our golden state, resulting in lost or no lane markers across multiple lanes at a time.

O M G you sh*t us not! The 405 south at night with a mist of water .... might as well be white paint... SOOO dangerous but yea, think this is the place Elon spoke of in the original roll out, Tesla now guides every one else's lol

Does anyone still have 8.0 on a RWD car? If so, could you try disabling traction control and see if it sticks?

I noticed I can't disable traction control anymore - it turns itself right back on. I had disabled it last winter to get unstuck from some snow. The only thing that has changed since then is swapping to summer tires (the car knows, due to a different set of TPMS sensors and being told the new wheels were 21's vs 19's for being snows) and the 8.1 update.

I have 8.1, I can check but its always defaulted back when I restart. Is it saved in your driver profile? That thing alsways seems to find a new thing to save.