Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused what you're saying. I am stating the fact that the second camera was updated, and now the system is closer to parity. Could they have gotten the system working with one camera? I have no idea, and I'm not sure why you think you do either since clearly that isn't the reality we're currently living in. Tesla activated a second camera and now the system is more stable, but still not parity. Period.

It's definitely a little disconcerting that they had to use a second camera and still aren't at parity with HW1. I think their initial goal of parity back in December was, from what we now know, very unrealistic.

I'm not sure Tesla is that far ahead of other automakers/autonomous companies, but they obviously have the advantage of neural network.

How do you know they had to use the second camera? Just because they started using doesn't mean they had to.

Right. Tesla is using a second camera and still not at parity with HW1, 3 months after they said they'd be at parity with HW1, but don't actually need the second camera at present. Got it.

You can make whatever inferences you want from the available information. I'll make my own.

I-26 around Charleston has a number of curves, none of which the latest release can negotiate at 60 mph. All involve stretches of roadway where it is difficult to see down the road until you're in the middle of the curve. None are what would be considered sharp curves or areas which would warrant even a curve warning much less a speed reduction. We've driven this stretch of road every day for many months so it's not a case of a "new road." This is worrisome with the current design because I don't see any way for it to improve until Tesla Vision switches to a map-based design. Just wondering if there was a similar problem with AP1 vehicles??

C8P0h9tXgAABJNl.jpg

Last edited:
I never read anything other than the Model S section, so if the discussions aren't there a lot of people won't see them. It is hard enough just to keep on top of the six sections under Model S. Expanding beyond that is completely unmanageable.
I always check out the "New" posts to find interesting things without being limited to one section.

OK, serious comment and Q:
As others have reported, on non-Interstate-style roads we're still limited to 35mph. But I tried out the "steering wheel vibrates when you veer into another lane" function yesterday without success. Too far away from such a road for quick test spin for me.

Has anyone been able to verify that their car does provide this? Is it also functional only on LtdAccessHwys?

Received 8.1 on my HW2 car a couple of days ago. Seems significant improvement so far.

I still have the reduced speed freeway limitation for autosteer (90 km/h in Canada), which I attributed to calibration in progress. When I attempt to initiate autosteer above this limit (wheel isn't showing but I double pull anyway), I get the disappointing message "Autosteer limited to 90 km/h - Contact Tesla Service for Manual Calibration". Anybody else have/had this message and still go on to calibrate?

Called my local SC this morning and they seemed mystified - so now I'm contemplating months of waiting for a service procedure to be released to address a calibration failure. Bummer.

Other then no calibration needed, I almost the opposite experience. Waviness is still there, but the car stays locked in the center of the lane. I believe this is just a rendering issue as the car knows where the center of the lane is.

AP2 has not slowed for overhead issues for a couple of patches now. I think one of the issues is that I drive in an area where there are a decent number of Teslas, not as many as SoCal or NoCal, but north Chicago is fairly well represented. The system seems to improve a noticeable amount every update.

Agree to a degree on the auto lane change. Its smooth until the car is centered over the lane separator then it jerks a bit into the new lane. It almost feels like its going to go into the center divider but never goes past the center of the new lane. It just feels weird, not how a human would change lanes. It definitely will not change lanes if a car is there, I tried.
I am curious if anyone has needed calibration and if so how many miles did they drive? I was on the highway for an hour but no luck with autosteer over 50mph despite an upgrade a couple days ago to 8.1. I will know more this weekend as I have a road trip to DC. I am sure I just need to be patient. Thanks!

I am curious if anyone has needed calibration and if so how many miles did they drive? I was on the highway for an hour but no luck with autosteer over 50mph despite an upgrade a couple days ago to 8.1. I will know more this weekend as I have a road trip to DC. I am sure I just need to be patient. Thanks!

If you try to initiate autosteer above 50 do you get a message related to calibration?

I always check out the "New" posts to find interesting things without being limited to one section.

I've tried that but it updates so fast I just feel lost, plus without any organization I don't know the context of the thread. I can't ever get to the point where I can "mark all as read" which is my ultimate goal every time I sit down to read TMC. It just feels wrong, like you are jumping around in a completely disorganized way. At least in the Model S section I can usually work my way through each section, mark it as read, and then move on until it is all done. That usually takes 20 or 25 minutes, which is about all I can spend on TMC at any given time (really more than I should spend).

There was no initial calibration necessary for me when I first used autosteer above 55 mph yesterday. AS is surprisingly very smooth now, no alarming lane bouncing, and it's great that we can now see the adjacent lanes. But what's alarming is that the displays are not picking up any cars in the adjacent lanes. Is auto lane change even safe to use in traffic right now?

My relatively new 100D from last Tuesday, got the 8.1 download on wed, had about 50 miles on it with no TACC or AS available, still calibrating. Went out to dinner last night and both were allowed. Freeway, no wavy lines, good centering save one dive bomber that confused the car but it recovered nicely (the guy jerked in front of me with about 2 feet to spare). Hesitated for one overpass but very mildly. Overall, it seems quite usable for freeway driving however I am still nervous enough to hover intently.

Its nice not having to commute anymore.

There was no initial calibration necessary for me when I first used autosteer above 55 mph yesterday. AS is surprisingly very smooth now, no alarming lane bouncing, and it's great that we can now see the adjacent lanes. But what's alarming is that the displays are not picking up any cars in the adjacent lanes. Is auto lane change even safe to use in traffic right now?

The opinion seemed to be that cars are "seen" but not displayed - I haven't tested it for obvious reasons but apparently others have.

Reactions: johnzhang22

Mine needed calibration. There was no calibrating message. But I could only use auto steer below 55 mph and it was still bad. I drove 20 miles. Got out briefly and drove back. No luck on way back.
Later that night I went out and autosteer immediately worked above 55mph. There was a clear improvement in steering , other lanes were visible, and the graphics were more stable.
My calibration drive has clearly marked lanes.

I was just down there in March and tried the 55 mph limited Ap2 and had to quickly take over ... I honestly think it is a good use case to send to Tesla .. because places like I-77 in CLT it works amazing as well as I-485 and there are curves .. but there for some reason did not work. Keep us posted. It is a great use case to track future releases as well.

I-26 around Charleston has a number of curves, none of which the latest release can negotiate at 60 mph. All involve stretches of roadway where it is difficult to see down the road until you're in the middle of the curve. None are what would be considered sharp curves or areas which would warrant even a curve warning much less a speed reduction. We've driven this stretch of road every day for many months so it's not a case of a "new road." This is worrisome with the current design because I don't see any way for it to improve until Tesla Vision switches to a map-based design. Just wondering if there was a similar problem with AP1 vehicles??

C8P0h9tXgAABJNl.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: NerdUno