Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there reason to believe that the camera/radar system coordinates with maps? The inability for AS to handle simple curves after numerous pass-throughs suggests not. Seems more like it just uses GPS to let it know if it should enable 80mph limit or 35mph limit.

Doesn't look like it currently. But there is no path to full autonomy by just following road markings.

It unclear how far mobileye and Tesla got with mapping in AP1.

Here is mobileye's most recent short description of their approach:

http://www.mobileye.com/future-of-mobility/mobileye-enabling-autonomous/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: disagree
Apologies if this has already been asked. Can somebody post a photo or describe what the multi-lane/multi-car is supposed to look like? Used auto steer for the first time on the highway today. After a very shaky first 10 minutes, it started to get a little smoother and about 20 miles later shows two additional lanes (black lines to the left and right) but the lanes were empty even though there were cars both to the left and right of me. I thought I read someone mentioning with 8.1 the car now "sees" cars in adjacent lanes but I seem to just have empty lanes. Is this what it's supposed to do?

Apologies if this has already been asked. Can somebody post a photo or describe what the multi-lane/multi-car is supposed to look like? Used auto steer for the first time on the highway today. After a very shaky first 10 minutes, it started to get a little smoother and about 20 miles later shows two additional lanes (black lines to the left and right) but the lanes were empty even though there were cars both to the left and right of me. I thought I read someone mentioning with 8.1 the car now "sees" cars in adjacent lanes but I seem to just have empty lanes. Is this what it's supposed to do?
It doesn't see cars driving in adjacent lanes. You'll only start to see cars from other lanes as they merge into yours. Sometimes, anyway. Don't trust AP2 to recognize merging traffic or truck/busses.

Yes, at this point. The display just shows that it sees other lanes to change to when you use the turn signal. AP1 showed cars their too. I imagine AP2 will eventually display cars there as well.

Last edited:
IMG_8724.JPG
Here it is from AP1

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Been driving S P85D with AP1 more then brand new X100D mainly because of autopilot system confidence. AP2 Nags every 20-75 seconds even with hands on wheel. While AP1 is every 180 seconds. Not sure if it is AP2 or Model X, or both. But I have noticed that the car is less able to sense my hands on the wheel with AP2. I feel like I have to jerk the wheel with more force then I'd like in order to have nag go away. AP1 never nagged me when my hands were resting on the wheel. AP2 still does. Also has been scary when AP2 suddenly slows down for no reason. Worried that the car behind me will hit me. I know others have posted that it slams on the brakes. Mine have be sudden braking but no more then 5-10 mph decrease. Usually happens 100-800 feet before an overpass. Don't think it is safe yet. Maybe in traffic where you stick to your lane. As the car on the dash bounces around a lot. AP2 for me shows that's I am following car in the lane to the left of me one moment, then the one in font of me then to the right of me in a matter of seconds. One thing that I see as a possible improvement to Tesla vision currently is that on my side street that is just wide enough for two cars, where there are no lane markers is from time to time starts creating lanes based on the sides of the street. far from perfect and AS won't work on the street. Even if it did I wouldn't use it. But the processing power seems to be there. Just needs to be unlocked. But really hope they add the AP1 missing features soon. I really like seeing the cars to the left and right of me. Hopefully with all 4 cameras enabled for EAP, they can make it miles ahead of AP1. I can understand the frustration of longer time AP2 owners not having at least minimum of AP1, especially seeing how great AP1 has gotten based on one camera.

I am very worried that AP2 owners will never get even some of the full autonomy features based on AP1 missing features. For those who remember. AP1 was going to have a smart summon feature for calling your car to you while on private property and AP from highway to highway and auto highway changes while using NAV/GPS. Some of the promised AP1 features have now become AP2 features. I'd expect more full self driving features not to come to AP2 and roll over to AP3. It's the last thing I want but there has been no mention to the listed features for AP1 that later vanished.

I am very worried that AP2 owners will never get even some of the full autonomy features based on AP1 missing features. For those who remember. AP1 was going to have a smart summon feature for calling your car to you while on private property and AP from highway to highway and auto highway changes while using NAV/GPS. Some of the promised AP1 features have now become AP2 features. I'd expect more full self driving features not to come to AP2 and roll over to AP3. It's the last thing I want but there has been no mention to the listed features for AP1 that later vanished.

How about the schedule below?

AP2 L2: end 2017, L3-5: never.
AP3 L3: end 2018, L4-5: never.
AP4 L4: end 2022, L5: never.
AP5 L5: end 2025, and cars on strike at the beginning of 2026!

Was driving earlier this evening using Auto-steer and saw the adjacent lanes show up on the display for the first time. Displayed the left shoulder as a lane and did not show cars in the adjacent lanes. AP2 car with 17.11.3

Attachments

• 20170405_184620.jpg
    20170405_184620.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Informative
Reactions: wesley888
Question: if AP steers over the line, do we get the lane departure virtual rumble strip? Basically does it give itself a dope slap? I like the subtlety of the lane departure feature. Others do not. Ok.
Yes, in fact the only time I've felt the lane departure warning so far was when autosteer was enabled and the car followed the line a little too closely.

Today's HW 2.0/8.1 experience:
Driving on I-10 west of Tallahassee, TACC activated.
I realized a tire piece (approximately 2 feet tread) on my (left) lane. Right after I started to move over to the middle lane our Model X alerted us with the FCW sound (even though I have FCW deactivated)!
I was impressed it recognized the piece of rubber on th surface in front of the car while driving 75 mph.
It didn't brake because I was already moving to the next lane (my guess).
But still, good to know the HW is able to recognize debris on the road... (not everything of course!)

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Today's HW 2.0/8.1 experience:
Driving on I-10 west of Tallahassee, TACC activated.
I realized a tire piece (approximately 2 feet tread) on my (left) lane. Right after I started to move over to the middle lane our Model X alerted us with the FCW sound (even though I have FCW deactivated)!
I was impressed it recognized the piece of rubber on th surface in front of the car while driving 75 mph.
It didn't brake because I was already moving to the next lane (my guess).
But still, good to know the HW is able to recognize debris on the road... (not everything of course!)

Hmm, you mean just a stationary piece of debris on the ground was recognized?

If so, that seems new to AP2. I've had so many close calls with AP1 and tire shards, mattresses, and even a dining table in the middle of a lane and not a peep from AP1.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
It didn't brake because AP2 cars don't have AEB yet. Though if you were on TACC it could have slowed down...

I know, but it didn't slow down, even though it liked to slow down for ghost cars until a few weeks ago (not anymore for my Model X!)!

Hmm, you mean just a stationary piece of debris on the ground was recognized?

If so, that seems new to AP2. I've had so many close calls with AP1 and tire shards, mattresses, and even a dining table in the middle of a lane and not a peep from AP1.

Yes, it was a stationery piece in front of my car in my lane! The Model X alerted me approximately 120-150 feet away!
I was already in the middle of the lane change though...

Reactions: chillaban