Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having an issue with USB in the past 1-3 months? I noticed my USB thumb drive tends to not be recognized recently on car startup unless I remove it and put it back in. Had no issues for over a year and then it happens consistently.

Is anyone else having an issue with USB in the past 1-3 months? I noticed my USB thumb drive tends to not be recognized recently on car startup unless I remove it and put it back in. Had no issues for over a year and then it happens consistently.

Media player as a whole is a horrible mess right now. Hopefully fixed as part of the next major release.

Reactions: GeorgeCM and Gt1948
Got 2018.6.1 today and just confirmed this bug / reset of center unit is still there. Anyone know how to offline view this manual via web browser...? Looks like an interesting vector... ;)

I noticed this evening that the manual will cause the media console to reboot. Not sure how extensive the issue is, but I was able to reliably reproduce the issue (in 2018.4.1) by doing the following:
  1. Click "Controls"
  2. Click "Settings"
  3. Click "Manual"
  4. Click "Owner's Manual"
  5. Click "Index of Terms"
  6. Scroll to "Auto Park" and click it
  7. Wait about 10 seconds, the media console reboots.
Reported it via the voice command, FWIW. It's also worth noting that the formatting of the manual is wonky, it's showing stuff that appears to have been meant for conditional text, e.g. "Model SModel XModel 3".

On Tuesday and today (Thursday) I had the message on my Instrument Panel “Systems Are Powering Up, Press Brake when this message clears” on my 2017 Model S. It never clears and I had to reboot my 17" display by holding in the scroll wheels on the steering wheel to resolve the problem both times. Energy Savings is Off and "Always connected" is checked. Others have mentioned it may be a USB issue but I have no USB cable or USB stick plugged in. I was emailing my Service Dept. and realized there was a new F/W. Hopefully it will resolve the issue. I had 2018.6.1 641efac. The new version is 2018.10.4 8bbdc66. I'll attach the screenshots of the release notes and the Trunk options under "Controls" in the Tesla app. The new item in the release notes is you can now open the "Front Trunk" or "Trunk" (rear) using the Tesla app. You can also close the rear Trunk.

2018.10.4 8bbdc66 1 of 2.jpg

2018.10.4 8bbdc66 2 of 2.jpg

Tesla app Trunk icons.jpg

Last edited:
AP2 is unreliable on auto lane change. Sometimes it does it instantly, sometimes it hesitates 5-10 sec before initiating the lane change (despite signal and pull on the steering wheel) sometimes it doesn't initiate the change at all. Free highway, clear lane markings. Due to this unpredictability I stopped using the auto lane change, too annoying to handle.

I've found assisted lane change / auto lane change surprisingly consistent in 2018.6.1. I noticed the essential thing was that the driver's display showed adjacent lanes. I associated apparent delays in changing with the proximity of cars in the destination lane. My model S seems to like safe-looking distances front and back rather than boy-racer GTA-style moves.

Where I expected lane change to work on two-lane carriageways with dividers (dual carriageways here in the UK) and motorways (usually 3 or 3+ lane carriageways and it wouldn't it was usually because the display did not show adjacent lanes for some reason.

Where it has spooked me is in moving to the leftmost lane to exit a motorway. If there's a gap in the traffic there it will often accelerate into the lane rather than just shift across.

Has anyone else had Bluetooth issues since 2017.42 a88c8d5? My 2014 S85 now drops the BT multiple times per drive. It has never done this before over the 2+ years I've had it....
I have 8.1.18.6.1.75-641efacf8c. Bluetooth is unusable, it drops 4 out of 5 conversations. Also usb stick with music takes more than 5 minutes to start playing after reboot. It does indexing. Anybody knows how to stop that ?

I have 8.1.18.6.1.75-641efacf8c. Bluetooth is unusable, it drops 4 out of 5 conversations. Also usb stick with music takes more than 5 minutes to start playing after reboot. It does indexing. Anybody knows how to stop that ?
AFAIK the music system has always done that. The only way to prevent it is to not reboot and leave your USB stick plugged in all the time.

Are you using the power saver mode? That's the only thing that immediately comes to mind. The music system isn't great, unfortunately, and it seems to be (understandably) a low priority with Tesla at the moment.
no, power saving is disabled. I'll try to find out where it stores the index files and maybe restoring them fast at boot time will solve that issue.

Speaking of the media player, I recently upgraded to firmware 2018.12 and just noticed the maximum equalizer levels are now 8.0 whereas they used to be 12.0 (or 12.5, can’t remember exactly..)

Has this been the case for a while and I did not notice until now, or is this relatively new? Why would they make the EQ less granular?

Speaking of the media player, I recently upgraded to firmware 2018.12 and just noticed the maximum equalizer levels are now 8.0 whereas they used to be 12.0 (or 12.5, can’t remember exactly..)

Has this been the case for a while and I did not notice until now, or is this relatively new? Why would they make the EQ less granular?

For me this happened in 10.4 (had .6.1 before)

After changing different 4g routers and wifi settings, once I thought I managed to find one which works and is stable, I noticed that it works fine when the car is in Park mode. Once I switch to D or R, it instantly drops the wifi, and never reconnects by itself. If I reconnect it manually, it stays connected until I change gears ! Then again, it instantly disconnects !
I wonder if this is a bug or this is how someone from Tesla imagined this system, and if so I would like to know the reasons for such a stupid thing. I am really pissed off, I have just got tired repairing this car, I feel like driving a prototype, not a commercial product!

After changing different 4g routers and wifi settings, once I thought I managed to find one which works and is stable, I noticed that it works fine when the car is in Park mode. Once I switch to D or R, it instantly drops the wifi, and never reconnects by itself. If I reconnect it manually, it stays connected until I change gears ! Then again, it instantly disconnects !
I wonder if this is a bug or this is how someone from Tesla imagined this system, and if so I would like to know the reasons for such a stupid thing. I am really pissed off, I have just got tired repairing this car, I feel like driving a prototype, not a commercial product!
When you shift into a gear, it is under the assumption that you are going to drive away - and disconnect from Wifi. Rather than wait to lose the signal, and then attempt to access the cell network, it immediately goes off Wifi. If you want to connect while driving, you have to manually connect each time. I seem to remember this was implemented somewhere in the 7.1 timeframe.

This approach makes complete sense. If you are streaming when you first select a gear, the transition from WiFi to cell is fairly seamless. Otherwise, you drive away, lose the Wifi signal, streaming dies, then the switchover to celluar, then your music resumes.

• Informative
Reactions: GeorgeCM