Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, a little to much Coolaid here. There's no noticeable A / B testing going on, there is no notion of "shadow" mode that Tesla keeps blowing smoke about ( unless you consider snapshots shadow mode, which I do not ), but I guess that could be debated in another thread. People are reading far to much into git hashes, they are just that. If they are working off of feature branches and merging them into master when they are complete then I'd say sure, but Tesla just doesn't do that. They'll put bit's into place to stage them dormantly as they become ready like Valhalla that @verygreen found like a year or so ago and the vector maps flags and such.

However, there is zilch, none, nada v9 (staging) going on with the current firmware ,it's not happening. If v9 drops to beta testers in the next 2 days, I'll donate $200 to a charity of your choice and if doesn't you donate $200 to st. Judes children's hospital? Deal?

Also, I theorize that v9 will need a new NN, just look at the recent fire truck debacle that's still going on, so there will be nothing small about the on ramp / off ramp functionality. In fact, I would not be shocked if Tesla drops the mame crap in a release soon and delays the v9 crap out another few months to say Oct.

Well I have already put my chips at December as earliest and just a smidgen of what has been PromiseStated by Elon in multiple public venues. (For Aug / Sept by the way)

I like your optimism for October but Elon's Past Tweets & Public Statements are indeed indicative of his past performance. December for V8.9 (joke since it won't be V9 as publicly stated) since I really don't think we will see V9 by then.

With my 2017 S100D flying past 50,000 miles this week I am hoping for something "soon" before I hit 150,000 miles LOL LOL

If we see anything close to V9 in the next weeks I will have to back and change all of my "funny" ratings on posts to "thumbs up" in place.

Reactions: Cheburashka
@BigD0g If you read my comment as "yes, there is v9 in the wild", no, that was not what I tried to say (I'm pretty sure it isn't, as I wrote somewhere, I believe more in December). I just tried to explain semantic versioning principle. So you can spend your $200 for whatever you want :)

Apologies! I read this and thought you were referring to Tesla, my apologies.

The big feature may seem to be added in A.B.2 as it did not work correctly in version A.B On the other side, the "big changes" in A.B may not be customer facing (i.e. starting to send logs home). And also the bugfix may not bring customer facing change (i.e. too much memory used).

"
I know Tesla has delayed stuff in the past but I don't see any reason to believe that V9 will be delayed by several months. The early release will probably be next month (Sept).

"
The early release will probably be next month (Sept)
." Which is a delay by the way. I'll be first in line to applaud if it does appear before December but...….

With my 2017 S100D flying past 50,000 miles this week I am hoping for something "soon" before I hit 150,000 miles LOL LOL

This illustrates how the "be patient" version of Elon apologetics really falls flat. Many thousands of people have paid many millions of dollars to Tesla for a product that they sold, and cars have a limited useful life, especially if you leased rather than buying. It is now becoming apparent that a great many people who bought this product will never actually receive it while they own the vehicle. (The product being the EAP and FSD options, neither of which have been delivered yet.)

Yes, be patient, eventually there will be a self-driving Tesla. It just won't likely be the one you bought and paid for.

Meanwhile, Tesla invests resources in developing wireless phone chargers, and Elon concerns himself with harassing "pedos" on Twitter and trying to escape his responsibilities as the CEO of a publicly-traded company by not being the CEO of a publicly-traded company.

I know Tesla has delayed stuff in the past but I don't see any reason to believe that V9 will be delayed by several months. The early release will probably be next month (Sept).

I know that the sun has risen in the East and set in the West in the past but I don't see any reason to believe that it will continue to do that.

Sorry, that is an unfair strawman argument. But the fact is that past performance is a reason. It's not proof, it's not the only thing you should consider, but it's by far the best piece of information we have for addressing this question.

Another reason is that the people who keep an eye on this stuff haven't seen any indication that even an early release is imminent, nevermind general availability. That is also not proof, but it's evidence. It's a reason to be skeptical that we will see early release in September.

And the original implication from Elon was that we would have V9 in August with the first FSD differentiators. Unless you tie yourself in knots with Elon apologetics, that statement means V9 in August with the first FSD differentiators, not early access program for a firmware called "V9" in August, with later firmware also incidentally called "V9" to include the first FSD differentiators at some unspecified point in the future but certainly only after a really substantial, major hardware change involving a new chip that is likely still on the drawing board.

Respectfully, I don't really care to debate whether or not V9 will be delayed or by how much it will be delayed. It will come when it comes. And when it does arrive, I am sure it will have plenty of interesting stuff in it to talk about.

Will it come before the first AP2 leases expire? Does that not matter?

The title of this thread is:

You created this thread with that subject line on June 10, and you continue to respond with statements like "I don't see any reason to believe that V9 will be delayed by several months". I would say this discussion, while tedious, remains very much on-topic.

While we're doing some archaeology, Elon's twitter post that launched this thread (Elon Musk on Twitter) stated that rush-hour lane merging was "better" in the firmware rolling out just then (in June -- has anybody ever seen Autopilot handle a rush-hour merge yet?) and "fully fixed in August". They've got a couple more days to "fully fix" rush-hour lane merging.

Edit: Let me state my thesis succinctly: Elon's tweets about Autopilot features and schedules are roughly as reliable as his tweets about pedophilia and about securing funding to take a $50B public company private.

Will it come before the first AP2 leases expire? Does that not matter?

The title of this thread is:

You created this thread with that subject line on June 10, and you continue to respond with statements like "I don't see any reason to believe that V9 will be delayed by several months". I would say this discussion, while tedious, remains very much on-topic.

Well as you know, I posted that title because that's what Musk announced on Twitter back in June. I was merely presenting the information that we had at the time. And I am saying that I think early release of V9 will be in September because that is my opinion. Sure, maybe I am wrong. We shall see.

Well as you know, I posted that title because that's what Musk announced on Twitter back in June. I was merely presenting the information that we had at the time. And I am saying that I think early release of V9 will be in September because that is my opinion. Sure, maybe I am wrong. We shall see.

Technically his tweet didn't say that any FSD features would come in August. He said V9 would come in August and that it would fully fix a particular issue. He then went on to say that they would begin to enable FSD features in V9. He didn't say that that would be in the initial release, or provide any time line.

Reactions: EinSV
Meanwhile, Tesla invests resources in developing wireless phone chargers, and Elon concerns himself with harassing "pedos" on Twitter and trying to escape his responsibilities as the CEO of a publicly-traded company by not being the CEO of a publicly-traded company.

Screw charger, but who wants Atari games instead of working/fixed (fill whatever is painful for you) piece of software?

Technically his tweet didn't say that any FSD features would come in August. He said V9 would come in August and that it would fully fix a particular issue. He then went on to say that they would begin to enable FSD features in V9. He didn't say that that would be in the initial release, or provide any time line.

Yeah, let's just set aside the "first FSD features" thing for now and focus on the very specific claims he was making, which were (a) that V9 would come in August, and (b) that it would "fully fix" the problem mentioned in the tweet he was responding to, which was Autosteer handling rush-hour lane merging.

Show of hands for anybody who believes either (a) or (b) is going to turn out correct? Anybody believe Tesla is going to "fully fix" rush-hour lane merging any time in 2018? 2019?

When it comes to Autopilot, Elon Musk is full of it, plain and simple. He truly has no idea what he's talking about.