Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It requires 2.5 because 2.5 has an extra CPU onboard that is used for H.264 video compression. Video compression is CPU intensive and 2.0 hardware can't do it and EAP at the same time.
Given that those of us (foolish enough) to have paid for FSD will be getting the 3.0 hardware upgrade, we should be able to get cameras at a later stage if it were just video encoding that is required. However, I think the extra colour channel is the real showstopper.

I actually know precisely when the new update will be transmitted to all Model S cars. Since I purchased my first Model S in 2013 (I am on #2 now), there has been an uncanny coincidence that major updates get distributed only when I am a long distance away from my car for an extended period. That way I can get the “update available” notice on my phone and be tormented for several days before I get back to my car.

Luckily for all of you, I leave on Sept 20 for a ten day trip (for you online thieves planning to use this information to break into my home, please contact my house sitter so she can lock up the dog before you break in). Thus I can almost guarantee a major update will happen between Sept 20 and Sept 30.

You’re all welcome.

Well folks, I tried my best and left for Europe for ten days (a sacrifice for this group), but the update didn’t arrive while I was gone. My guess is that Tesla read my post and did not want to ruin my vacation.

Thanks Tesla. Now give me my 9.0!

But it isn't a CPU. It's a 384 core GPU that can trivially do H.264 over in a.corner.

Only if it has dedicated H.264 modules in addition to those cores, or the cores are not already fully utilized running the NNs for AP so that there are a few cores to spare for compression. We already know that HW2 has an underpowered GPU and they have struggled to get the NN model small enough to work on it, so I would be surprised if they had cores to spare.

pardon my ignorance and unwillingness to read the previous 60 pages... did full self driving features come out in august(or after) as promised??
anyone have a summary of the new features?

Oh man, that's rich... made my day right there... FSD features in August -- you do mean August 2021, right?

Sorry, couldn't resist. The new feature in v9 is an EAP feature, an incremental development toward On-Ramp to Off-Ramp, which is EAP. V9 will suggest lane changes required to pass slow traffic or get in the correct lane to take an exit, based on your navigation destination/route. The driver must confirm the lane change before it is executed.

But the biggest new feature by far is that they are finally using the side repeater cameras to do blind spot monitoring. That is really the only thing in V9 worth being happy about IMO. (But we'll see how reliable it is...)

We already know that HW2 has an underpowered GPU and they have struggled to get the NN model small enough to work on it, so I would be surprised if they had cores to spare.

So, did Tesla lie to us? Because this is how they referred to HW 2.5:
The internal name HW 2.5 is an overstatement, and instead it should be called something more like HW 2.1. This hardware set has some added computing and wiring redundancy, which very slightly improves reliability, but it does not have an additional Pascal GPU.

Tesla claims HW2.5 doesn't have additional compute, nor a different processor. Just more redundancy. What's your evidence that 2.5 has more power?

However, we know it has better cameras if you care about color....

Also, from here:
As we previously reported in our exclusive report about AP 2.5, the main difference is a new secondary GPU for more computing power and redundancy.

So, where is the dedicated H.264 encoder you mention?

So, did Tesla lie to us? Because this is how they referred to HW 2.5:

Tesla claims HW2.5 doesn't have additional compute, nor a different processor. Just more redundancy. What's your evidence that 2.5 has more power?

However, we know it has better cameras if you care about color....

Also, from here:

Most GPUs by Nvidia in tthis timeframe have one, so the odds aren't all that bad, actually.

I think I misunderstood your original post. I don't know of any H.264 encoder, I was just pointing out that both HW2 and HW2.5 are known to be underpowered for what Tesla is trying to do, by Tesla's own statements, and so unless they happen to have dedicated compression modules that sit idle, they probably don't have general CUDA cores to spare for compression because they're all busy doing NN inference. I don't have time to look it up right now but there was some statement about how EAP is taking so long because they were having trouble getting the model small enough to fit on their GPUs. Then there is the later statement about HW3 being required for FSD, and the math has always checked out on that -- despite Elon's many statements that HW2 was plenty good enough, it is not hard to check the specs and see that it (by which I mean HW2 and also HW2.5) just can't run any halfway sophisticated model on all 8 cameras at full frame rate or anything close to that.

It's August 64th already...any news?
That is funny stuff right there!:D

I think I have figured out the Elon Standard Time Scalar (tm). It is the value of Pi. I think that Elon thinks in radians.

Around Aug. 1, Elon said V9 would be out at the end of August. Multiply 1 month by 3.14 and you get somewhere around the 4th of Nov.

So my prediction is Nov 4 plus or minus 1 day.

v9 is rolling out wide release now, according to Elon:
V9 moving to wide release now. Holding back Autopilot drive on navigation for a few more weeks of validation. Extremely difficult to achieve a general solution for self-driving that works well everywhere.

Looks like Drive on Nav will follow shortly in a few weeks, but the other parts of version 9 are rolling out now.

Last edited:
That is funny stuff right there!:D

I think I have figured out the Elon Standard Time Scalar (tm). It is the value of Pi. I think that Elon thinks in radians.

Around Aug. 1, Elon said V9 would be out at the end of August. Multiply 1 month by 3.14 and you get somewhere around the 4th of Nov.

So my prediction is Nov 4 plus or minus 1 day.

So FSD differentiation on Nov 4, then, according to the original tweet? Or do you also have to apply a scaling factor to the features promised? In this case perhaps 1/pi?

Well folks, I tried my best and left for Europe for ten days (a sacrifice for this group), but the update didn’t arrive while I was gone. My guess is that Tesla read my post and did not want to ruin my vacation.

Thanks Tesla. Now give me my 9.0!

Nah, turns out it was me they were waiting for. Left my car at the airport yesterday and as I expected version 9 started appearing on non-early access cars shortly afterwards. Luckily my car doesn’t have internet in the parking structure, so at least I am not staring at a update notice on my phone while I am across the country.