Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt they can have one unified update at this point. The new and old MCUs for the S/X are different processors which have different instruction sets. The code has to be compiled differently for the two processors and it would make the download twice as large to have one download for all. Half the download would be discarded on every install.

I was basing this purely on the release notes (Firmware Update 2018.12) that mention the same version 2018.12 for both Model 3 and Model S/X. Remember that having the same version "name": 2018.12 could still mean the actual data transmitted to the vehicles are different - depending on type, MCU, etc. etc.

I doubt they can have one unified update at this point. The new and old MCUs for the S/X are different processors which have different instruction sets.

Just because it is the same version number doesn't mean that the server sends the same bits to every car. In fact we already know it creates a custom package for each car with the bits necessary to upgrade from the version it has to the version it is going to. So not every car getting 2018.12 will download the same package.

I went to the SC today expecting 2018.10.4 and received 2018.12, they uploaded it at the SC and staged it for me and this took about an hour to do, the actual installation took about 25 minutes on my S75 AP 2.5 vehicle. I can confirm that it has all of the 2018.10.4 goodness that I have been reading about (I was on 2018.10) and is very, very smooth. Can't say I noticed a difference in the UI speed though.

2018.12 is way better. Handles turns smoothly. Path plans. Sees vehicles cutting you off and displays on IC like lane changes. Ap2.

Edit sees 2 cars ahead at 75moh

18.10 and 18.12 both have the same NN, no new stuff :/

I was basing this purely on the release notes (Firmware Update 2018.12) that mention the same version 2018.12 for both Model 3 and Model S/X. Remember that having the same version "name": 2018.12 could still mean the actual data transmitted to the vehicles are different - depending on type, MCU, etc. etc.

The firmware package is the same , what gets installed is different depends in car config/hardware

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
18.10 and 18.12 both have the same NN, no new stuff :/

It's true that it's the same NN, but we already know the NN is seeing way more than it is acting on or displaying for us. Not saying that there is any new behavior on this release, but it's very possible that AP will begin to display more of the info it gets from the NN, or act on things differently too over the next few updates as we (hopefully) approach actual EAP features.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
It's true that it's the same NN, but we already know the NN is seeing way more than it is acting on or displaying for us. Not saying that there is any new behavior on this release, but it's very possible that AP will begin to display more of the info it gets from the NN, or act on things differently too over the next few updates as we (hopefully) approach actual EAP features.

We’ve seen this in the past. Even when there’s no NN changes, we’ve seen changes to the control algorithm part of Autopilot that leads to significant performance differences.

Can someone with 18.12 confirm if changing lanes over solid lines (carpool) now works? Previous update recognized solid lines and would not change lanes.
Is that supposed to work in WA?

In CA that’s actually a full blown HOV violation. A close friend of mine got a $980 ticket for doing that on a Saturday when the lane was open to all, and took it to court and lost too.

Is that supposed to work in WA?

In CA that’s actually a full blown HOV violation. A close friend of mine got a $980 ticket for doing that on a Saturday when the lane was open to all, and took it to court and lost too.

Only double solid not allowed in WA. The other carpool lanes have one solid line on most freeways that I know.
Currently, it will not go over any solid lanes.

In Oregon only double solid is a no-go:
"Solid white line – Used for an edge or fog line to help drivers to stay on the road. "
and
"Wide solid white line – Used to direct traffic into specific lanes, such as turn lanes, and to separate bike lanes from other traffic lanes. Crossing a wide solid white line is permitted but discouraged."
and
"Double solid white line - Means you are not allowed to change lanes. Stay in your lane."

18.12 Release Notes:

Model 3:
Steering wheel button updates
For your convenience, we've updated the functions of the scroll buttons on the steering wheel.
The right scroll button now lets you quickly adjust Traffic-Aware Cruise Control settings. To increase or decrease the set cruising speed, roll the right button up or down. To adjust the follow distance between you and the vehicle ahead, press the right button to the left or right. You can still adjust these settings from the touchscreen and press down on the button to activate voice commands.

The left scroll button now lets you adjust your Model 3 side mirrors and steering wheel. Start by tapping the Controls icon on the bottom left corner of the touchscreen and then tap Quick Controls > Adjustments

To adjust the mirrors, tap Mirrors and select the LEFT or RIGHT mirror icon. Then, scroll the left button up or down, or press it left or right.

To adjust the steering wheel, tap Steering Wheel and scroll the left button up or down, or press it left or right.

Model S/X: North America Only
Introducing new Navigation (Beta)

Whether you’re on your daily commute or heading out to a new destination, you can rely on Navigation to give you the fastest route and provide more accurate estimated arrival times. It will route you around traffic jams and guide you through complex maneuvers when required.

If traffic conditions change and there’s an alternate route that will save time, Navigation will automatically reroute you. As with the previous system, you can control how aggressively Navigation does this: just indicate how much time an alternate route should save by adjusting the setting in CONTROLS > Settings > Apps > Maps > Navigation > RE-ROUTE IF IT SAVES MORE THAN

Navigation prevents you from missing turns by giving you a clearer view of upcoming maneuvers. More responsive guidance prepares you for complicated intersections or multi-lane interchanges. Each turn and highway exit that you should take is clearly labeled in blue, whereas cross-streets or highway exits that you will pass are labeled in black, to help you monitor your progress along the way. In addition, guidance and labels match real-world road and highway signs wherever possible.

As you get closer to a maneuver, the instrument panel view will zoom in to provide greater clarity and, if necessary, will highlight the lane (or lanes) that you should be using. This makes it easier to see how close you are to the turn, the cross streets that you’ll pass, and which direction to take.

We welcome feedback about the new Navigation Send email to [email protected], or press the voice commands button on the right side of the steering wheel and say "Note," followed by your comments.

omg....that voice feedback idea is brilliant and seems awesome!

Hopefully it will apply to just any kind of feature request or feedback.