Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'd been on 2018.10 for what felt like an eternity. Having to read through pages of positive comments about the AP upgrades without being able to experience it was rough! I finally gave in and called Tesla's national support number.

They were immediately able to determine that new firmware downloads had been attempted several times but were failing due to the wi-fi connection. We were getting a solid 3 bars in the garage, but I guess that wasn't good enough. I moved the router to a spot where we got a full 5 bars and notified Tesla. They pushed the firmware again and within an hour we got the prompt to install. Yay!

So for anyone who has been having trouble getting 2018.12, try moving your router. Apparently a measly 3-bar signal is not adequate for downloading this latest update.
Yes, as was said, it has no effect. If your wifi connection is stable, that means the VPN connection to the mothership is in place. Signal strength of a bar plus or minus won't change bandwidth and surely won't tell the mothership to increase or decrease your priority.

Now, if the VPN keeps resetting, then you have a problem that needs to be fixed. If you reboot the MCU and the wifi connects and stays stable for 5 minutes, it's good to go.

I'm unconvinced that altering your wifi can speed up you getting an update. If the wifi is stable and the car isn't constantly disconnecting then it doesn't matter how many bars it has; wifi is definitely not going to be rate limiting the download initiating. Once it starts downloading it finishes downloading. I've gotten downloads in the very first batch and others in the very last batch to update while always being 3 bar or less. If you got yours faster it's because you pestered the service centre.

All I can tell you is what the guy at the other end of the national Tesla support number told me after looking up my account, which was that "the download has been repeatedly attempted and continues failing due to a poor wi-fi connection."

The car had a solid 3 bars for weeks with no updates coming through. After moving the router to get full strength, it went through within 1 hour. The wi-fi strength may be entirely unrelated to the update, but if that's the case the Tesla support technician straight up lied to me over the phone about the reason for the failure. I'm really not sure why he would have made up a story.

But I'm getting sidetracked. Back to the topic at hand...

I typically leave my key in the car when it's parked in the Garage. I came out there last night after the update and the parking lights keep coming on and the door handles keep popping out. They stay open for a minute and then parking lights turn off and the handles retract again. Then it repeats the whole thing again. Door handles and lights were still going on and off this morning... Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a setting that got turned back on perhaps?

All I can tell you is what the guy at the other end of the national Tesla support number told me after looking up my account, which was that "the download has been repeatedly attempted and continues failing due to a poor wi-fi connection."

The car had a solid 3 bars for weeks with no updates coming through. After moving the router to get full strength, it went through within 1 hour. The wi-fi strength may be entirely unrelated to the update, but if that's the case the Tesla support technician straight up lied to me over the phone about the reason for the failure. I'm really not sure why he would have made up a story.

But I'm getting sidetracked. Back to the topic at hand...

That could very well be in your case, but given the 9% rollout of 2018.12 the most likely reason for not having the update is that your VIN hasn’t been selected. Not anything wrong with WiFi.

Every time we have a thread about low rollout updates, everyone gets obsessed about rebooting their MCU, connecting to the right kind of WiFi, etc etc etc.

That could very well be in your case, but given the 9% rollout of 2018.12 the most likely reason for not having the update is that your VIN hasn’t been selected. Not anything wrong with WiFi.

Every time we have a thread about low rollout updates, everyone gets obsessed about rebooting their MCU, connecting to the right kind of WiFi, etc etc etc.

I was on 2018.10 for what felt like forever. Kept waiting for the update to 2018.10.4 which was a wide rollout, but it never showed up. That's why I'm thinking Tesla was correct in saying there was something wrong with the connection. Whether that's wi-fi strength or something else... my VIN had been selected for the update per Tesla but it just hadn't gone through after repeated attempts.

Last edited:
I was parked at the mall for lunch. Got back in car. The MCU rebooted (unusual) came back up with new release notes for new mapping system. Was on Wifi last night, but the update took place on its own during lunch with no wifi.
The car was already on 2018.12 5eadc71
IMG_2327.JPG

I was parked at the mall for lunch. Got back in car. The MCU rebooted (unusual) came back up with new release notes for new mapping system. Was on Wifi last night, but the update took place on its own during lunch with no wifi.
The car was already on 2018.12
View attachment 290523

I have a wild guess that it has a timer when to enable the new nav :D
anyway

maybe I need a SC run to have the new map?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
The car was already on 2018.12 5eadc71
View attachment 290523

Yep the update is independent of the Firmware update, its its own Maps Software update and you wont get a notice on your phone it will just download however and whenever it can so everyone will need to be patient as there is nothing that I know of that will force this update.

the download happened earlier and then took some time to verify everything (which is not fast, maps sdcard in mcu1 is pretty slow)

Key car will be at the SC until midday Monday -- they said they'll load the new firmware on it, but will that mean they'll automatically load the new navigation separately as well, or should I request that? :)
the download happened earlier and then took some time to verify everything (which is not fast, maps sdcard in mcu1 is pretty slow)