Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back from a nice late night drive.

(1) New graphics acceleration seems to be in for MCU1. It's much faster and more responsive to touch input now. There are still some instances where it lags a bit before showing a settings screen but it's so much better than it was before. This is pretty much how the touch screen should have been since day 1. I'm surprised it took them 7 years to go back and optimize performance of the touch screen on MCU1.

(2) AP1 seems much better. This is the first time I've seen actual improvement in AP1 in terms of not lunging or drifting towards the freeway exit when I want to stay on the freeway in the right lane. The car actually tries to follow the left lane markers now instead of starting to get off the freeway and suddenly jerking left when it sees the lane split marking on the freeway. I don't know how they are able to improve AP1 since they can't touch the Mobileye code but it's definitely noticeably better in this one specific scenario.

(3) Unless I'm imagining it, the new nav system isn't in? Maybe it looks exactly the same as the old nav system? I don't use the nav enough to really notice the difference. All I did was turn it on for a few minutes and and then turn it off again though. It looked the same to me.

(4) Updating my car took 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Updated to 18.12 yesterday on wifi, after the update I see the car has downloaded another 5.8GB of data which I suspect is the vector maps, though it has not popped up yet with the release notes for maps beta...

Edit: just checked again and now its up to 8 GB data since the update... and counting

I can see its connected to an Amazon server with "maps" in the URL
One question, which tool do you use to track the data transferred to the car ! Thanks in advance for advise.

Impressions after driving with 2018.12, coming from 2018.10: noticed the lack of ping-ponging immediately. So nice! Handles most curves quite well. Also handled a rise that, prior to this update, always caused us to veer into oncoming traffic. Remained solidly in the correct lane this time.

Only problem I ran into was at a stoplight where the 4-lane road is curving to the right. I entered the intersection in the left lane. It got confused and ended up in the right lane. I had never attempted to use AP through this intersection before due to the curve, though. This could very well be an improvement in behavior over previous releases.

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
Looks like the fleet wide rollout has started
What makes you say this vs. any other day? :D

upload_2018-3-31_12-11-36.png

upload_2018-3-31_12-12-32.png

I got it today and I usually get it along with everyone else. I know, not a scientifically accurate methodology. :)
Uhhhhh... Okay :)

10.4 did look like a general rollout (like 2017.50.3, and that was for Ho Ho Ho). I would say so far, it's hard to say for 2018.12, as it's only been four days (being charitable), and if they are on a new 'guaranteed a release every two weeks' cycle from Karpathy, then, nothing may be 'full speed release', who knows.

We may in fact be on a dependable full release rolling cycle, where those on the early end are the start of the 'lump in the snake' and those at the end of the lump get it as we get 2018.14. We'll have to see if that's a new pattern.

Well, if AP1 was always the standard for AP2 parity, why not bring down the standard?!?! :)
That's super funny but ap2 seriously rocketed past ap1 with this one. It's dead locked in the center over the crazy mountain hill crests I test with and ap1 now veers over lines now that it didn't before. It kinda point ponged before but didn't cross over. Now it's all over the place.

That's super funny but ap2 seriously rocketed past ap1 with this one. It's dead locked in the center over the crazy mountain hill crests I test with and ap1 now veers over lines now that it didn't before. It kinda point ponged before but didn't cross over. Now it's all over the place.
Wait, so you're saying AP1 that got 2018.12 has degraded?

Uhhhhh... Okay :)

10.4 did look like a general rollout (like 2017.50.3, and that was for Ho Ho Ho). I would say so far, it's hard to say for 2018.12, as it's only been four days (being charitable), and if they are on a new 'guaranteed a release every two weeks' cycle from Karpathy, then, nothing may be 'full speed release', who knows.

We may in fact be on a dependable full release rolling cycle, where those on the early end are the start of the 'lump in the snake' and those at the end of the lump get it as we get 2018.14. We'll have to see if that's a new pattern.

A bunch of us are still on 2018.6.1, so clearly neither has been a fleet wide rollout yet.

There have been instances in the past when an upgrade degraded AP1 performance, from personal experience. However, I'm not sure these are deliberate actions. Training new neural networks can be hit or miss in some ways. AP1 and AP2 are significantly different just in basic camera setup (mono vs stereo cameras) on top of so many other things. It's not straightforward to monotonically improve NN performance. At some points there would be degradation in one or more areas that serves as a training set to fix further forward. AP2 will see the same, if it hasn't already.

That's exactly what he's saying. Though he had a rare AP 1 with 2018.10.4
Yep I had 10.4 now on .12 and on my test routes it has 100% stepped backwards and is a little squirrelly now. I tested ap2 with pouring rain and it was solid as a rock ap1 same route no rain was everywhere. This was at night. Tested in the day under similar conditions same time if day, same result. I'll post a side by side like I have been doing later on after I edit it

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
A bunch of us are still on 2018.6.1, so clearly neither has been a fleet wide rollout yet.
Yeah, it's always hard to interpret 'what does 500 cars mean' on ev-fw. It looks like semi-full population, but then it's on to the next one, and when does everyone really get something. For some reason, I got a release every two weeks (6.1/10.4/12).

I cut out a thought about Tesla Software Release patterns being like the old reading the curtains in the Kremlin, but there you go...