Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my loaner. It’s on 2018.12 5eadc71 100D 500 miles on it. Is this the new maps?

If so... I can’t tell..

Attachments

• 716AA1E1-7D1B-4522-A952-20FF5B44F4B0.jpeg
    716AA1E1-7D1B-4522-A952-20FF5B44F4B0.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 4BE53FDA-94EB-4974-B733-33281C21B03C.jpeg
    4BE53FDA-94EB-4974-B733-33281C21B03C.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Tesla has its CDN (content delivery network) hosted by amazon with different servers for different regions in the world and I guess also maps servers aren't the same as firmware updates servers.

Even if they have separate servers for the maps and different regional servers (both make sense), they can still overload the servers with too much data to push.

Even if they have separate servers for the maps and different regional servers (both make sense), they can still overload the servers with too much data to push.

Not if those servers are hosted by Amazon. They should be able to handle the traffic.

Edit: should be, but it's possible that they ran into issues. It's unlikely that this scale is large enough for them, though.

Reactions: bebbiXpress
I think the only indication is that they slowed down/stopped the rollout. From what I've seen, this is usually followed by a newer (cherry-picked?) build.

History?! It happened to previous updates.
An update was kinda pushed, slowed down, followed by a new update version...
We’ll see in 2 or 3 days if it’s the same with 2018.12! Fingers crossed

FWIW it looks like a slow stream of updates just started again, per TeslaFi, around 2PM PST.

Sometimes they pause and start a rollout without a corresponding version change. I presume in that case they just hit their quota of how many cars they wanted to be on that build.

FWIW it looks like a slow stream of updates just started again, per TeslaFi, around 2PM PST.

Sometimes they pause and start a rollout without a corresponding version change. I presume in that case they just hit their quota of how many cars they wanted to be on that build.

That's true. It's likely that they set a certain rollout percentage (say, 25% of the fleet), and they hit that number. They'll probably look at metrics, then push the update to a larger percentage.

I just got the update for my AP2 car. Took 30 minutes to load. Went for a drive. No difference in driving from 10.4, still drives very well. Didn't notice any improvement in the speed of the screen or internet browser. No difference in maps, still on Google maps. Hopefully it will download new maps overnight, we will see.

I just got the update for my AP2 car. Took 30 minutes to load. Went for a drive. No difference in driving from 10.4, still drives very well. Didn't notice any improvement in the speed of the screen or internet browser. No difference in maps, still on Google maps. Hopefully it will download new maps overnight, we will see.
Keep in mind, the Google maps (change to vector maps) has not happened in 2018.12. The nav and maps that changed are the ones on your instrument cluster.

Stopped by my local service center and asked for a firmware update for my AP1 Model S. The technician loaded/staged the 2018.12 software, and then I drove back home to finish the install. So far, a nice improvement on hill crests and keeping the car more dead center in the lane.

Great to see small incremental improvements to the Mobileye code, and I'm still loving the AP1 buttery goodness with little things like speed sign recognition. Gotta love it. :D

I typically leave my key in the car when it's parked in the Garage. I came out there last night after the update and the parking lights keep coming on and the door handles keep popping out. They stay open for a minute and then parking lights turn off and the handles retract again. Then it repeats the whole thing again. Door handles and lights were still going on and off this morning... Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a setting that got turned back on perhaps?

I don't think they intended on you leaving they keys in the car. The door handles pop out when you walk up to the Car with the FOB, which you left in the car. Additionally some Garage doors are not necessarily secure so your making your car an easy steal...

I don’t know if we should be so excited to want to get this first. I see this as a positive move in the long term but Tesla is moving off an established vendor and rolling their own. We’ve seen this play out not so nicely with Mobileye, and Apple struggled when they parted ways with Google Maps.

Let’s let Tesla push this when they think it is ready, or we may not get what we think we are bargaining for...

This I agree 100% with, last time I almost missed a flight I ignored Google Maps cause I decided to trust Apple Maps on my 1 iPhone I ever owned, when I barely made my flight I knew why Google Maps was saying straight up no to I94