Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And there is no chance that you had Waze or something similar running on the iPhone?

No zero as in absolutely zero chance.
Trust me I would Be thinking the same thing as you guys that I somehow did something like have waze on or nav voice on in the background etc... I didn’t 100%.

I haven’t used waze in months... just letting my fellows tesla fans know what behavior I had with my car.
Also my nav voice was muted,

the crap ppl make up ... with 100% certainty and 0% chance of other options....

Sorry everyone, time to change my forum name!!
... was waze ...

Good idea.

the crap ppl make up ... with 100% certainty and 0% chance of other options....

Good idea.
Yeah pal, my kids played with my phone and I didn’t realize it at all. I was serious when I said ZERO chance I had waze on, I have used it like 3 times in my life and have never heard my cars voice, so really I meant it. It was kinda funny how all of this played out, maps just happened to finally update, my kids messed with my phone at breakfast and turned it on, and then my son and I went to buy my wife a bday present and for some reason waze was still on in the background.

Anyway I’ll apoogize again, i can only laugh at myself....

I promise not to post anything again before checking with Master T, I felt like an idiot and

On a positive note waze is super Fing accurate!

So far this update has made my autopilot almost not worth using. I've driven probably 500 miles on this update and it seems to be just getting worse. It now rides about 6" from the right line with 36" or more on the left but shows perfectly centered on the IC. I even confirmed by holding it centered manually in the lane and it shows I'm riding on the left side of the lane. The update started out functioning just as good as the previous up until lately. Anybody else noticed this behavior?

The point about phantom braking is interesting. Earlier releases were more susceptible to false detection of approaching objects, resulting in unexpected braking for no apparent reason. And if they increased the sensitivity, it's possible the system might brake when approaching a real stationary object - in addition to phantom braking.

Another thing Tesla could AND should do is provide more information on the dashboard display. In addition to the lane lines and detected vehicles, they could show areas ahead that might be stationary objects and possibly issue a warning for the driver to review the situation, in case the software makes the wrong decision.

Another thing Tesla could AND should do is provide more information on the dashboard display. In addition to the lane lines and detected vehicles, they could show areas ahead that might be stationary objects and possibly issue a warning for the driver to review the situation, in case the software makes the wrong decision.

Putting more information on the IC is asking for trouble, actually. You don't want people staring at details on the IC, whether AP is engaged or not. You want their eyes on the road, with only very brief glances down to the IC when necessary to get a particular piece of information. LIke, what is my speed. Other than that, eyes on the road please. Definitely do not put detailed information on the IC that takes time to understand and process. That means eyes and mind are both off the road for too long.

And *definitely* don't distract the driver from the road to look at the IC when there may be a stationary obstacle ahead to crash into, as you're suggesting. That's the worst time to look down at the IC! Look out the windshield and take corrective action if necessary.

Reactions: don123
Putting more information on the IC is asking for trouble, actually. You don't want people staring at details on the IC, whether AP is engaged or not. You want their eyes on the road, with only very brief glances down to the IC when necessary to get a particular piece of information. LIke, what is my speed. Other than that, eyes on the road please. Definitely do not put detailed information on the IC that takes time to understand and process. That means eyes and mind are both off the road for too long.

And *definitely* don't distract the driver from the road to look at the IC when there may be a stationary obstacle ahead to crash into, as you're suggesting. That's the worst time to look down at the IC! Look out the windshield and take corrective action if necessary.
I think it would be nice to have the extra info when AP is enabled to make sure that it can see certain things

Reactions: croman
Case in point when they introduced AP1 the whole point of showing all vehicles in adjacent lanes and their type was exactly to build up confidence in the AP system in the driver. Considering the appalling state AP2 was in over most of the year after it's introduction, that aspect became reversed, as the new system initially would display way too many false positives even in the one lane it's showing vehicles in.

anyone else seeing the other cars in the IC jumping around again?

It really looks to me as though there is a whole lane to the left offset at the max range cars ahead are shown on the IC, and as they get closer they "snap" into the lane

I could speculate (with no way of proving or otherwise!) that the cars just appearing in the display at distance are being detected by the radar, then as they get closer the cameras refine the image an align them correctly to the lane.

Should this be the case I guess my radar/camera alignment is significantly off, and also the software doesnt seem to be detecting this and recalibrating.

Cars jumping about on the display does not impart confidence it must be said.
Cars not being shown in adjacent lanes - think we can all make assumptions why.

anyone else seeing the other cars in the IC jumping around again?

It really looks to me as though there is a whole lane to the left offset at the max range cars ahead are shown on the IC, and as they get closer they "snap" into the lane

I could speculate (with no way of proving or otherwise!) that the cars just appearing in the display at distance are being detected by the radar, then as they get closer the cameras refine the image an align them correctly to the lane.

Should this be the case I guess my radar/camera alignment is significantly off, and also the software doesnt seem to be detecting this and recalibrating.

Cars jumping about on the display does not impart confidence it must be said.
Cars not being shown in adjacent lanes - think we can all make assumptions why.

Mine does that too, it's a 10.4 and later behavior change. Before, it simply would not show cars at all at that distance. Around where it "snaps" to the correct lane is where 2018.6.1 would start showing cars at all. In that sense, it's an improvement over the previous behavior, but I think it could use improvement.

Reactions: croman
Finally took my March 2018 MS100D 2018.12 with new MCU and Navigation out for a real drive. After 35 miles on the odometer AP became available. It might have been sooner, It was the first time I engaged AP.
I can ex’s-Essex my impressions with one word: WOW!
Night and day compared to my previous car (2017 MS90D 2018.6.1)
AP is silky smoooooth
The 3D perspective zooming on the IC is fantastic. Really gets my attention as I approach a maneuver.
I rarely paid any attention to the IC nav on my 90D. (Farsighted) I found it to be kind of useless with the exception of Freeway exits.
Also noticed lines on adjacent lanes: (is this new?)
View attachment 292394
Just took advantage of another dry day here in the Northwest. Tomorrow evening will be the last day of keeping my car dry. My Suntek / Gyeon Q2 MOHS installer told me that one week was the optimum cure time for the ceramic quartz coating and to avoid driving rain. I figured I’d do my best comply in order to get the most out of it.
Just want to add to my previous comment of WOW! With a “HOLY CR@P”
Almost human...
Stops are gradual and nearly as smooth as I can possibly do myself.
Over-steering/over-correcting on multiple curves is nearly zero or at least imperceptible. So tracking to the center of the lane is probably better than a human.
Absolutely amazing!
New MCU and navigation is freaking awesome!

Would be nice when arriving home if the mirrors auto-retracted when Tess auto-opens the garage door. Likewise, when leaving home and Tess auto-closes the garage door, it would be nice if the mirrors auto-restored.

Set autopark custom option side clearance to “tight” and the mirrors should do what you want if I recall correctly.

Thanks so much, Joe! Had it on "tight". Here are my related settings. Can you (or anyone) spot something wrong or missing?

Controls/Settings/Driver Assistance/Autopark/Summon (beta) - ON/Customize/Bumper Clearance - 20in./Summon Distance - 28ft./Side Clearance - TIGHT/Use Auto Homelink - ON.
Also: Settings/Vehicle/Mirrors/Auto-tilt - ON/Auto-fold - ON.

Not using cell phone or fob summon; just driving in/out of the garage as I leave and return home.