Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be nice when arriving home if the mirrors auto-retracted when Tess auto-opens the garage door. Likewise, when leaving home and Tess auto-closes the garage door, it would be nice if the mirrors auto-restored.
I still wish the mirrors wouldn't unfold when I approached the car but when I opened the door instead. I'm always approaching from the front in a car park and the mirrors always get in the way in tight parking spots. What advantage is there to them unfolding when I approach instead of when I open the door? That was on yet another one of my failed tweets to Elon; I tried since any time someone has managed to get his attention he prioritises those changes somehow...

I had a similar problem. Every time I walked through the garage to bring garbage out the mirrors and door handles would extend. My solution was to create a profile (I called it "Home") which I select when I park the car at home. This profile has all automatic door handle and mirror options turned off so nothing happens when I walk past the car. So from my home garage I enter the car by pressing the door handle. Nothing happens automatically. Selecting "Home" is the first thing I do when I park at home. Selecting "Me" is the first thing I do when I enter the car at home. Problem solved.

Nothing happens automatically. Selecting "Home" is the first thing I do when I park at home. Selecting "Me" is the first thing I do when I enter the car at home. Problem solved.

ITYM "Problem worked around more awkwardly than should be required with such an advanced piece of tech".

There is no reason for the mirrors to pop out other than that it looks cool when people are watching you walk up to your car, and it gives Tesla a some sexy PR/advertising. No functional reason for it. Tesla should fix this -- mirrors should pop out when you put the car in gear, or perhaps when you put your foot on the brake. Or better yet, how about if the ultrasonics indicate nearby objects (walls, cars), the mirrors don't pop out at all until you've cleared the objects or hit the speed threshold.

... mirrors should pop out when you put the car in gear, or perhaps when you put your foot on the brake. Or better yet, how about if the ultrasonics indicate nearby objects (walls, cars), the mirrors don't pop out at all until you've cleared the objects or hit the speed threshold.
Yes, good idea, but Elon might not want to revisit the speed threshold thinking. The mirrors used to unfold at about 10 mph, but that feature was removed roughly mid-2017. As I vaguely recall, someone had folded their mirrors and proceeded to drive down an alley. At 10 mph or so the mirrors unfolded and hit something. Tesla was blamed and we all lost a nice feature. I'd say, if you're that close on the sides, creep along at way less than 10 mph.

Perhaps Elon can put the speed feature back and include a warning about auto-unfold any time the driver folds the mirrors ... oh dear, it's getting complicated. Lord, keep me (us?) from being dumb and then blaming Elon.

FYI, I have not read through this thread for a while. I was talking with Tesla if this was the update for the maps as some folks had believed.
I've had it and didn't think so. They told me the maps will be in the next update, not in 12. He felt the updates are going out West coast to East coast.

Thought I would pass it along.

Reactions: DragonWatch
Finally received the 2018.12 update today and installed it. Obviously I don't have the maps yet so I will have to wait for it to activate or download. With regards to MCU performance, there seems to be some improvement. Unfortunately, I didn't take any baseline time measurements before the upgrade so all my observations are based on seat-of-the-pants measurements. Certain actions seems to be snappier than before while others are about the same. It's possible the real gains occur once the maps are downloaded and activated. Here are some observations:

- Map Zooming: Zooming in and out seems to be faster and nearly instantaneous in certain cases. However, if a large amount of redrawing has to occur, the speed is the same as before. I'm guessing there is some caching going on here to improve resizing response.

- Route Mapping: Calculating the route to a destination appears to be considerably faster than before. I tried mapping routes to previous destinations within the last 2 weeks and the route calculation time seems to be cut in half.

- Soft Keyboard Response: Pulling up the keyboard in the navigation screen is snappier. Typing is more responsive as well. In the past, the letters would appear slowly as I typed which was really frustrating.

That's it for now. Let me know if I'm imagining all of the this.

FYI, I have not read through this thread for a while. I was talking with Tesla if this was the update for the maps as some folks had believed.
I've had it and didn't think so. They told me the maps will be in the next update, not in 12. He felt the updates are going out West coast to East coast.

Thought I would pass it along.
As usual, much of what you hear from 'Tesla' is not accurate. Many people have gotten the maps after getting 2018.12, many have not yet. The west to east *may* be somewhat true, I don't think anyone has done that sort of analysis!

But saying no one is getting the maps until after 2018.14 or whatever is just silly. 2018.12 is the *first* base for the maps, and everything after this is, of course, also the base for the new maps. I bet we won't all have the new maps for a while.

Speaking of which, looks like they have opened the spigot on 2018.12 after waiting a bit!

upload_2018-4-10_14-6-44.png

• Disagree
Reactions: njxman
Finally received the 2018.12 update today and installed it. Obviously I don't have the maps yet so I will have to wait for it to activate or download. With regards to MCU performance, there seems to be some improvement. Unfortunately, I didn't take any baseline time measurements before the upgrade so all my observations are based on seat-of-the-pants measurements. Certain actions seems to be snappier than before while others are about the same. It's possible the real gains occur once the maps are downloaded and activated. Here are some observations:

- Map Zooming: Zooming in and out seems to be faster and nearly instantaneous in certain cases. However, if a large amount of redrawing has to occur, the speed is the same as before. I'm guessing there is some caching going on here to improve resizing response.

- Route Mapping: Calculating the route to a destination appears to be considerably faster than before. I tried mapping routes to previous destinations within the last 2 weeks and the route calculation time seems to be cut in half.

- Soft Keyboard Response: Pulling up the keyboard in the navigation screen is snappier. Typing is more responsive as well. In the past, the letters would appear slowly as I typed which was really frustrating.

That's it for now. Let me know if I'm imagining all of the this.
What I have seen is reports that the 'new' maps are only for the IC turn by turn section, not the MCU. If that's true, any zooming, etc. improvements are psychological. :D
---
Comment on the mirror auto-unfold: I read that thread recently (don't ask why) and it was raised because of the narrow 'normal roads' in the UK where they could not drive with mirrors folded and pass other cars. 35 MPH (50 KPH?) was a compromise.

I'd like them to auto-open earlier so I don't need to do so when I leave the garage, either, but I'm willing to bite that bullet (either do it or wait for speed) for our British counterparts! :D

As usual, much of what you hear from 'Tesla' is not accurate. Many people have gotten the maps after getting 2018.12, many have not yet.

Ain't that the truth. Was on the phone with customer support this past weekend (for an unrelated problem) and was told that I had the new maps. I was like, "Well, I have 2018.12 but no maps yet." And she said "Everybody with 2018.12 has the new maps!".

Nope. Maybe Tesla support reps should read these forums to find out how the cars they're supporting actually work. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention -- the service center reps aren't any better. Dropped off my car for service this week (for the problem the phone support rep couldn't fix) and the service advisor told me that the GPS doesn't work unless you have strong LTE signal. I was like "...".

Got my 2018.12 this morning and updated my 2017 MS. No change in map performance or features in either the IC or MCU. Maybe the new map features are only applicable to new MCU models?
It’s a separate down load. Unfortunately it requires a fair amount of patience. Takes over a week for some folks get the maps once they get 2018.12. It will eventually roll out to all cars, even pre-AP cars.

Reactions: EVO11
It’s a separate down load. Unfortunately it requires a fair amount of patience. Takes over a week for some folks get the maps once they get 2018.12. It will eventually roll out to all cars, even pre-AP cars.
I've had 2018.12 for two weeks but no new maps. I did have an error message last week that said "navigation error... Maps couldn't load" or something like that. Now hoping to get 2018.14. I usually get an update notice when I'm out of town which will be starting tomorrow. :(