Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update 2018.14.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 14.2 Thursday night and the maps today on my 2014 AP1 P85.

Impressions from someone who’s been driving an S since 2012:

-MCU performance improvement is substantial and obvious. Very nice!

-Maps on the instrument cluster are indeed much clearer, smoother, and IMHO easy to read. Love the zooming when approaching an intersection, and the labeling of street names only for the next few upcoming streets. Love it so far. Great job Tesla!

-So far the new mapping is definitely giving better routing for me. Old maps used to take the slow way out of my neighborhood, which I always ignored. New maps now show the correct route. Time estimates so far have been spot on.

-AP1 was not swerving at the crest of the hill that it used to swerve on (despite having no traffic around). Needs more confirmation, but promising.

Strong update! Now to build out the new features on the updated mapping system.

Unfortunately, the new browser part of the 14.2 update does not seem well tested by Tesla. It has some severe problems.
  • Worst of all: If you overload it with script code or possibly memory usage, the whole MCU will freeze and reboot (but with the screen frozen). Even the LTE modem will reboot. Very repatable. For example, visit Google Maps JavaScript API  |  Google Developers on the car browser.
  • Dropdown menus (<select> tags) do not work - they only show the default choice. Nothing happens when clicking.
  • Scrolling google maps do not work at all. Reproduce by visiting A Better Routeplanner or Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information . Unclear exactly what is broken.
View this as a bug report, Tesla. I don't know where else to file it.

Got 14.2 Thursday night and the maps today on my 2014 AP1 P85.

Impressions from someone who’s been driving an S since 2012:

-MCU performance improvement is substantial and obvious. Very nice!

-Maps on the instrument cluster are indeed much clearer, smoother, and IMHO easy to read. Love the zooming when approaching an intersection, and the labeling of street names only for the next few upcoming streets. Love it so far. Great job Tesla!

-So far the new mapping is definitely giving better routing for me. Old maps used to take the slow way out of my neighborhood, which I always ignored. New maps now show the correct route. Time estimates so far have been spot on.

-AP1 was not swerving at the crest of the hill that it used to swerve on (despite having no traffic around). Needs more confirmation, but promising.

Strong update! Now to build out the new features on the updated mapping system.

+1

Took our 2016 Model S with 14,000 miles on it to the Service center for it's first year checkup. They replaced the 12volt battery as well as an occasionally intermittent front camera (AP 1.0) under warranty. Did the firmware update from 6.1 all the way to 14.2. Tremendous update.

Unfortunately, the new browser part of the 14.2 update does not seem well tested by Tesla. It has some severe problems.
  • Worst of all: If you overload it with script code or possibly memory usage, the whole MCU will freeze and reboot (but with the screen frozen). Even the LTE modem will reboot. Very repatable. For example, visit Google Maps JavaScript API | Google Developers on the car browser.
  • Dropdown menus (<select> tags) do not work - they only show the default choice. Nothing happens when clicking.
  • Scrolling google maps do not work at all. Reproduce by visiting A Better Routeplanner or Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information . Unclear exactly what is broken.
View this as a bug report, Tesla. I don't know where else to file it.[/QUO

I've had the same exact issues. About one out of every four times I load a webpage, the system will freeze and reboot. I also feel that Autopilot is less confident in this update (vs 10.4), but I may be imagining things.

• Worst of all: If you overload it with script code or possibly memory usage, the whole MCU will freeze and reboot (but with the screen frozen). Even the LTE modem will reboot. Very repatable. For example, visit Google Maps JavaScript API | Google Developers on the car browser.
View this as a bug report, Tesla. I don't know where else to file it.
Don’t file it here, :D I’d use the support email on MyTesla.

Does anyone know if servicehelpna even works? I’ve seen threads saying that that address no longer works because of overload.

5C4126C4-0ECA-43C4-9218-79D0AD787B98.jpeg
I feel like mine is crooked. Drove me nuts for a while. SC checked it and said the camera is actually aligned and okay...but image “feels” slightly off.

After driving a few days with 14.2 on the same road that I've driven 10.4 on before, I can conclude that autopilot performance most likely is not changed or tweaked at all. Still so good that 10.4 proved to be, still the same shortcomings as 10.4.

What has likely changed is the threshold for AEB/ACC radar braking (unsure which). When using autopilot I have experiences 3 hard braking when coming close to oncoming traffic or obstacles. Previously that happen a lot rarer.

What has likely changed is the threshold for AEB/ACC radar braking

I agree. I've had several braking events on 14.2 (AP2) where I would not have expected to have them.

On the plus side, approaching slower traffic, the car appears to brake sooner and more gently.

More subjectively, I also think cars appear in the binnacle display earlier than they did before (smaller) and when further away are more often in the correct lane.

At some point the radar and vision systems need to become more integrated so even if the radar detects an obstacle, the vision system may be able to plot a way round it and thus avoid braking. I think both systems need to be looking further ahead to achieve this.

Speculation on my part is if the increase in sensitivity is because the threshold has simply been tweaked (perhaps as a result of the fatal accident and the car not reacting to the concrete barrier) or because the system is starting to look further forward to plot routes around obstacles. I've seen reports, but not experienced it myself, of the car moving over within a lane, for example to go round a parked car that is jutting into the lane.

After driving a few days with 14.2 on the same road that I've driven 10.4 on before, I can conclude that autopilot performance most likely is not changed or tweaked at all. Still so good that 10.4 proved to be, still the same shortcomings as 10.4.

What has likely changed is the threshold for AEB/ACC radar braking (unsure which). When using autopilot I have experiences 3 hard braking when coming close to oncoming traffic or obstacles. Previously that happen a lot rarer.
I actually am seeing a marked improvement in AP1. I've been using it on roads I travel regularly. Previous version would not handle sharp turns at a rise while it now seems to recognize them.

I have now had 14.2 for a week, but still no updated maps/nav. I was having a software issue, so my ranger pushed 14.2 to me. I wonder if I somehow got "left off" the nav list since I didn't get the software in the usual way. Thoughts?
Nah, I was pushed .12 and got the maps a few days later. But my car didn't even attempt to start downloading the maps until two days after the update, despite being on wifi nearly all the time.

It's simply a different queuing process for the maps compared to the FW update.

I wonder if I somehow got "left off" the nav list

The rollout still seems to be quite small/slow from what I've read. None of the online firmware trackers I know of have worked out how to record which Nav version you have (yet?) so we don't have concrete stats. Quite a few of the self-reported "I've got new nav" have turned out to be wrong when pictures have been shared given many of the differences are subtle.