Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update 2018.14.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most recent response I got through servicehelpna was 3/19... it still works!
Thanks! And another interesting thing I noted from Erik's latest video (2018.14.2 comparison to 2018.10.4 nav) is that Tesla (in the release notes) actually says to send comments using voice feedback saying 'Notes' as well as the [email protected] address. Whatever happened to voice comments being useless, only on the car, retrieval only by the Service Center? I had several people here tell me that. Oh, well....

Unfortunately, the new browser part of the 14.2 update does not seem well tested by Tesla. It has some severe problems.
  • Worst of all: If you overload it with script code or possibly memory usage, the whole MCU will freeze and reboot (but with the screen frozen). Even the LTE modem will reboot. Very repatable. For example, visit Google Maps JavaScript API | Google Developers on the car browser.
  • Dropdown menus (<select> tags) do not work - they only show the default choice. Nothing happens when clicking.
  • Scrolling google maps do not work at all. Reproduce by visiting A Better Routeplanner or Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information . Unclear exactly what is broken.
View this as a bug report, Tesla. I don't know where else to file it.

Ah-ha!!!!

Thanks for this post. My MCU has been crashing constantly for the past few days and I can't seem to figure out why. I figured it was just 14.2 wonkiness, but now I've realized that I was playing around with the live updating scoreboard on www.mlb.com (javascript, loads of data, etc) just prior to when these issues cropped up. It was still the current open page in my browser and I think it's trying to update (and that is causing it to crash).

I've closed it now and will report back if I see another crash.

This! They sorta work and that is the best I can say for them .... and living in an area where it rains 9 months out of the year, good rain sensing wipers are a must!
Indeed it seems that they are very heavily based around the rate of drops appearing in front of the camera but if the drops are appearing at a low rate, it does not have a threshold where it says "more than X time has passed and there are still drops on the screen, even if more are not appearing, so we should wipe anyway". It always leaves more on the screen without wiping than I ever would. During a torrential downpour it almost wipes enough but is still short of what I want. It's very reluctant to start a constant wipe at any time.

Reactions: jlarmstr
I just got the update from a service visit to fix my trunk and it is a vast improvement in terms of screen responsiveness. Pinch zooming in and out of the maps is so quick, almost iPhone quick. Switching between apps from the upper dock is much quicker. Pretty cool. Hopefully responsiveness continues to improve. Still no new maps though.

Got the new navigation this AM. A bit disappointing on my trip to work. Old navigation had no problem and managed to wind its way around a traffic circle near work and kept track of what street it was on. New nav did not know the street name(s), gave me wrong instructions on what exit to take from the traffic circle, and when outside my work address, still wanted to drive around: it did not seem to know where it was or where the roads were. Makes me a bit leary of the new turn by turn directions. Reboot did not help.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I still continue to believe that hill cresting has improved on AP1 on 14.2.

I have noticed that when leaving home in the morning or work in the evening, the behavior where it would automatically set work/home as the nav destination is not working. Anyone else seeing that?

Why is Tesla so slow in releasing this software to those with MCU 1? At this rate, it will be over a month before the fleet receives this vast improvement to our MCU vs 1's? I've never seen this drip, drip, drip in the 24+ months I've had my S...

Why is Tesla so slow in releasing this software to those with MCU 1? At this rate, it will be over a month before the fleet receives this vast improvement to our MCU vs 1's? I've never seen this drip, drip, drip in the 24+ months I've had my S...
Maybe you haven't, but a lot of us have. So if anything, you were lucky with getting frequent firmware updates before. I pretty much went from 2017.28 to 2018.40 last year, which was a much bigger gap. Wide releases really do tend to be months apart. .12 and .14 both seem to be mini-wide releases, the ones that get pushed to 30-40% of the population.

Realistically, with every vast improvement comes risk. Look at all the new reports of sudden/phantom braking on 2018.14.2. And the number of people who've found websites that 100% reliably crashes MCU1 trying to render it. And who knows what else.

There's definitely a reason they're rolling out gradually, and it's probably not because they like making their customers wait in agony.

I still continue to believe that hill cresting has improved on AP1 on 14.2.
I just updated from 17.24.28. I agree, hills are much, much better. I've tested it in a few real trouble spots, and it works like a champ now. I tested one unmarked intersection at the top of a hill and where the road turns, not following a car, and it was fine. Before at that spot it would just randomly and quickly dive off the road.

And just when we thought we all should have 2018.14 then Tesla updates firmware to 2018.16 eac88a7.:mad:
Both my 2017 MS, MCU1 are still on 2018.12 though only my P100D got the new updated Nav by Tesla beta and not the 100D.
We'll see if and how long it takes to get the latest firmware on both cars and latest nav on my 100D. Not holding my breath though.:(

• Informative
Reactions: DoctorG
Got in car this AM and had the new nav notification (no notice on my phone). Only big network activity was a ~9G download last week. Guess it took a while to digest.
I saw two of our cars each had downloads of just around 5.2 GB last night. My car had the new maps ready this morning but the other car must still be unpacking them as they aren't active on it yet.

How do you check that?
I got the cheapest Ubiquiti Unifi I could find (Wifi Router chatter) for ~$80 and dedicated it to only have the Teslas connect to it. It allows me to track traffic for each device (car) connected. Depending on what router you have, you may already be able to view traffic per device without needing to buy any additional hardware.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Amit519 and Bebop
Perhaps it's them being conservative with bandwidth usage; if they're sending 5GB of map data in addition to the usual 500MB firmware update then they need 10x more send bandwidth. While I have no doubt they have plenty of scalable bandwidth at their main servers, there are costs associated with flooding outgoing data as well.